Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Third stomach virus in six weeks - I'm Plotzing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 6:55 pm
Three of my kids are on round three of stomach viruses in six weeks! I am so so upset. I don't know what is going on.

Not only that but the last round was bad. Their stomach was killing for a day, followed by almost a week of dizzyness and weakness.

I'm just plotzing. I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm worried. Help.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 7:26 pm
Take them to the pediatrician

octopus

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 7:34 pm
throwing up can sometimes be a sign of strep.

baba

Post Sat, Feb 18 2012, 2:08 pm
Is it a virus? Do they have a fever?
Or could it be food related. Maybe something they keep getting?
Either way I would take them to their ped. Make sure they dont dry out and get a probiotic for kids for afterwards to make their stomachs stronger again.

cbsmommy

Post Sat, Feb 18 2012, 9:03 pm
Take them to the pediatrician ASAP. The pediatrician will help determine if this is really the 'stomach flu' or if your kids need an antibiotic. He/she will also assess for dehydration.

That being said, some general guidelines for preventing the spread of the 'stomach flu'.

1) WASH HANDS OFTEN with soap. Wash for a minimum of 30 seconds. This equals the time it takes to sing happy birhtday twice. Wash before meals. Wash after meals. Wash after using the bathroom. Wash after caring for a child who is ill. Wash after touching/changing/checking a diaper. Wash after touching the garbage. You get the drift.

2) Separate ALL toothbrushes. If someone does get sick, toss the toothbrush as soon as that person begins recovery.

3) Keep chlorox wipes in all of the bathrooms. After each person goes, wipe down the seat, the handle, the faucet, and the doorknob.

4) If possible, try and have a 'sick person' bathroom. Make that bathroom the closest one to the kids bedrooms, right off the den, wherever your kids are lying down while recuperating. That way 'healthy' people are slightly less exposed and also that way if someone needs to go NOW there isn't someone else already using the bathroom.

5) Run everything through the dishwasher on a hot cycle after eating. Don't have a dishwasher? Use plasticware for everyone who is ill and discard. Is it more expensive? Yes. But if your eldest normally has the chore of washing the dishes, and he/she uses 'cold' water, you aren't actually killing germs.

6) Toss your kitchen sponges. Sponges are breeding grounds for germs. disinfecting them in a microwave can only go 'so' far.

7) Wash ALL towels in the bathroom on hot. If someone doesn't wash hands thouroughly and then uses the communal family towel...let's just say that it's a great way to spread germs.

8) Enfore the 'no eating off someone else's plate' rule. On that same token don't let anyone drink from the communal OJ, milk, pan of potatoes, etc.

9) Enforce bedtimes. Sleep is essential to wellness. It may sound silly, but sleep deprivation is a major stressor.

10) Encourage healthy eating/snacking/drinking. In your healthy kids that might mean including a probiotic, serving whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc. In the kids with the 'flu' this means making sure that they are staying hydrated and even though it's tricky, maintaining enough calories to support their bodies. Dizziness can be a sign of dehydration, stomach cramping as well. This can cause a vicious cycle (a child's tummy hurts, they throw up, don't eat or drink for a number of hours so their tummy hurts and they feel dizzy, so they start retching etc). Every pediatrician has a 'favorite' rehydrating method. Popsicles. Pedialyte. Gatorade. Numerous valid ways. And every ped has a timeline for how-to rehydrate. Find out what your pediatrician believes and apply.

NaturalMom

Post Sat, Feb 18 2012, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
Three of my kids are on round three of stomach viruses in six weeks! I am so so upset. I don't know what is going on.

Not only that but the last round was bad. Their stomach was killing for a day, followed by almost a week of dizzyness and weakness.

I'm just plotzing. I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm worried. Help.

I second everything everyone else said.

Another good piece of advice is that everysingle person in the family should have their own hand towel in the bathroom. Put up some hooks and hang the towels in age order far apart from each other so that the towels don't touch when hanging.

Also, give the kids lots of probiotics when they are sick and when they are not sick. I find that giving my kids a large dose of probiotics really helps them get over the virus very quickly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics