Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ear infection - dimished hearing

amother

Post Sun, Feb 19 2012, 5:39 am
Hi,

My son (7.5 years old) had a terrible ear infection last week, accompanied by high fever and vomiting. After 2 days, his ear started oozing pus (gross -- sorry) and although his ear pain is reduced he has trouble hearing in the affected ear.

He is taking antibiotics.

I assume that his eardrum burst and now must heal.

I wrote a letter to his teacher informing her of his reduced hearing, but I am terified that this is permament. I rad thjat if not permament, it can take up to 2 months to restore his hearing. Would it help if he had a hearing aid during the interrum (assuming B"H that this is temporary)? He is astudious boy and I know he would be frustrated not being able to undersatnd his teacher in class.

Any tips/pointers/chizzuk would be appreciated.

I am very concerned.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Feb 19 2012, 9:59 am
I don't think you need to worry right now. As long as there is fluid in the ears, hearing can be somewhat imperfect. I've never heard of anyone getting hearing aids for such a short time.

If the punctured ear drum is causing hearing loss, that would only be in one ear, leaving the other ear hearing perfectly to make up for it. It is more likely that the fluid in the ears is reducing hearing. The fluid should clear up within a week or 2. If it doesn't, you should take him to an ENT. The next step for chronic fluid is usually to put in ear tubes, which clear it up without a problem. But if he doesn't have a history of ear fluid, it's probably not something to worry about.

My dd had more punctured ear drums than I can count. B"H, once we figured out the cause (dairy) and removed it from her diet, her hearing returned to normal. She never had hearing aids or tubes or anything.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 6:58 am
Hi, thx for the response.

The amount of discharge coming out of huis ear has decreased significantly, but when I look into his ear with a flashlight, I see a light-colored mass stopping up his ear. It's not wet or ozzing; it looks dry.

He can barely hear at all out of this ear (I tested him when he was lying down with his good ear next to his pillow). He seems to be walking around in a fog.

I managed to get him an appointment with an ENT tomorrow. I am very worried. Sad

hop613

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 7:13 am
Try not to worry too much. It could just be some wax, or something dried up in there.

I know after I had an ear infection, it took about 2 full weeks until I could hear normally again out of that ear.

markmywords

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 7:14 am
It's good you're taking him to an ent.
They can probably remove some of the fluid and may have an audiologist on staff to test his hearing.
My son had ear infections for 7 months straight and wound up needing tubes temporarily.
When I was a kid I was prone to fluid and had to go to an ent every Sunday to have the fluid drained from my ear. They can tell you what your options are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics