Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Anyone here written a children's book?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 1:35 am
I have always felt like I have many ideas to write a children's boo but I have no idea how to start.

Can anyone give pointers or how they started?

3mitzvos

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 5:40 am
LOL. I thought I was the only one who had such a desire to write children's books. I've wanted to do it for years! Now that I think about it, my sister-in-law's parents have written a series of successful children's books. I'm gonna try to reach them and ask about how they got started. I'll let you know once I find out. Smile

shofar

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 5:19 pm
JCBC is the jewish children's book club. You make more money than with a regular publisher as it is print on demand. Plus the brochures with all the books are distributed by torah Umesorah to all jewish day schools. Lmk if u have more questions. http://jewishchildrensbookclub.com/submit/

sequoia

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 8:08 pm
I wrote a children's book. It does not have a Jewish theme, however.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 8:21 pm
I wrote a children's book. It was self-published and was moderately successful. I sold about 2000 copies. It had a narrow audience because it was written for a specific subset of the Jewish population. I raised some money for publishing costs and laid out the rest myself. BH I earned back enough to cover expenses and a bit over that. Certainly not a huge profit by any means.

Based on my experiences I can give a few pointers. The market is already saturated with preschool/picture books but there's a huge demand for middle school/young adult books. Even greater demand for books of non-fiction that are both educational and entertaining. If you write the latter book you can pitch it directly to schools which will greatly expand your market. You can also put together supplementary materials (workbooks etc) that the school can use together with your book.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 8:32 pm
I've written but so far no one published. Oh well. It was fun and more for a hobby. You can always email some Jewish publishers with what you've got and they will respond and tell you yes or no.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:57 pm
shofar wrote:
JCBC is the jewish children's book club. You make more money than with a regular publisher as it is print on demand. Plus the brochures with all the books are distributed by torah Umesorah to all jewish day schools. Lmk if u have more questions. http://jewishchildrensbookclub.com/submit/
Um, thanks shofar. I started this thread in 2012. 5 years ago Smile
And the book that I (still) have in my mind is not jewish themed, at all. But thank you anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics