Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How are people not grossed out by preparing/cooking meat?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 5:49 am
I've been vegetarian since I was a child.. I never liked the taste of meat, the smell, the looks of it. My parents quit bothering me about eating it because it was clear that I didn't want to. But this isn't a post about my diet or my health or what I feed my kids.

I walk past the butcher counter at the grocery store and I have to look away... I wonder how people can seriously stand to look at meat being cut up... and how they can bring it into their homes and prepare it for meals. Aren't you disgusted by it??????

It's a dead body. OK, an animal, but still it's a dead body. I know a lot of people who can't look at photos from a surgery or from a crime scene or from a car accident..... or who won't watch horror movies (even though they know that it's all Hollywood special effects) How does it not bother people to see an animal's dead body? The butcher counter looks to me like a crime scene... all covered in blood and gore.

(I think it's super bizarre that people love some animals and keep them as pets, but eat other animals.. kashrus issues aside... is there that big of a difference between a sheep and your doggy?... but you would only make shwarma from one of them)

I can't imagine handling, say... a whole chicken and cutting it up. The chicken is made of the same stuff you are made from... bones and muscle and fat and skin.

If you eat meat, buy meat at the butcher counter, prepare meat in your home... how do you handle it???? Do you mentally separate the idea of 'meat' and the animal it came from?

Just wondering....

Simple1

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 5:58 am
I feel turned off my meat and chicken when I think about it, and wonder sometimes why others don't seem to feel this way. But I still make it or eat it. I think it's hard to get good, nutritious and easy meals without it. And sometimes I crave it. But I'm not one of those who do meat for supper every night - I do a lot of dairy meals during the week. For Shabbos and Yom Tov it's always meat/chicken, except for Shavuos. As Jews, we can't say it's wrong, because it is allowed. I also find it helpful to use chicken cutlets and chopped meat as oppose to chicken parts that have skin and bone (and similar).

Leesah

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 6:38 am
You got it all wrong; I don't see a dead cow when I look at meat, I see meat when I look at a cow.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 6:43 am
I don't go for meat/poultry and probably didn't eat it in years but I have no problem preparing and coooking it at all. The animals are meant to be eaten unlike humans.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 6:48 am
I come from a long line of butchers/shochtim on both sides of my family. Its in my blood.

I've actually been to a slaughterhouse and thought it was pretty interesting.

Some animals just gross me out - eels for example. Or lobster (like big cockeroaches!) Its not logical.

My cousin became a vegetarian because she went to feed the ducks in the pond and hten realized they were "duck" she had eaten.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 6:48 am
For the same reason why other cultures look at insects and see food, we look at insects and see creepy crawlies. It's how we were raised. If I overanalyze the situation I do get a bit grossed out but then it passes and I sink my teeth into my dinner and actually enjoy it.

Many women hate touching raw meat, they just don't take it to your extreme.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 6:50 am
I buy it all nicely cleaned up. I learned to ask the butcher to take off the skin, for example. Or I buy schnitzel that is ready to go in the pan.
My dh buys whole chickens and cuts them up himself because it's cheaper that way. Not for me at all.
I agree with the others - I make chicken because it's a convenient and IMO nutritious meal. (I buy red meat very rarely). However, I try really hard not to think about the origins. I honestly think the most moral route is to be vegetarian. I've never said that to my kids but perhaps some caught on anyway, since they are vegetarians.

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 6:54 am
saw50st8 wrote:
My cousin became a vegetarian because she went to feed the ducks in the pond and hten realized they were "duck" she had eaten.

I have several friends (who served meat at home) whose children decided to become vegetarian for similar reasons. I sorta think we (as a society) are desensitized to things and that children are naturally more sensitive.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 6:55 am
get over it there's nothing like a big juicy rib steak

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 6:58 am
amother wrote:

Puke

Puke

Puke

Leesah

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 7:07 am
amother wrote:

Are you ashamed of eating meat???

Amother?

I love steak btw, thx, now I'm hungry! Twisted Evil

amother

Ewa-jo- I am veggie too- have been my whole life. My entire family is vegetarian, my grandparents were vegetarian too.
My husband is a mega-carnivore and I feed my son meat too because he wants our son to have a choice. I wear gloves to cook meat, but it grosses me out completely.

Is your DH veg? Are your kids? (I know your post isn't about it, but I am curious what other vegetarians do!)

Anon because many people on here know me and I do not wish them to know my screen name.

Inspired

I guess this question wasn't meant for me. I love surgery videos. I did "surgery" on one of our baby hamsters when her leg got caught in a piece of string and was half off. I cut off the foot and put on antibiotic ointment. She grew up and lived a happy life with 3 feet. When my kids get stitches I like watching exactly how the dr. does it. I have removed my own plantar's wart. I have drowned rats and removed poisoned ones. Except when I am pregnant I do not mind cutting up meat or chicken at all. Yes, its a dead animal, that Hashem gave us to eat. Preparing food is one of the less gross of my duties at home.

Inspired

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 7:09 am
Oh, and in my teens I was a vegetarian for a few years, because I had compassion for the animals, not because it was gross.

Simple1

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 7:14 am
Inspired wrote:
Oh, and in my teens I was a vegetarian for a few years, because I had compassion for the animals, not because it was gross.

the grossness is tied in with compassion for animals, at least that's how I see it.

celestial

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 7:18 am
Simple1 wrote:
Inspired wrote:

the grossness is tied in with compassion for animals, at least that's how I see it.

Yep. Exactly.

And to answer your question:
Desensitization.

Inspired

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 7:22 am
celestial wrote:
Simple1 wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Yep. Exactly.

Desensitization.

That wasn't how I read the OP:

Quote:
It's a dead body. OK, an animal, but still it's a dead body. I know a lot of people who can't look at photos from a surgery or from a crime scene or from a car accident..... or who won't watch horror movies (even though they know that it's all Hollywood special effects) How does it not bother people to see an animal's dead body? The butcher counter looks to me like a crime scene... all covered in blood and gore.

ray family

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 7:23 am
I don't eat meat/chicken and I'm totally grossed out by it but I do prepare it for my husband and children.
I wear gloves and try not to think about it.
when the stench gets too bad (especially when I'm expecting) I have my husband clean and cut up the meat and I do the cooking.

Leesah

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 7:23 am
celestial wrote:
Simple1 wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Yep. Exactly.

Desensitization.

Actually, it never disturbed me at all.

celestial

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 7:31 am
Inspired wrote:
celestial wrote:
Simple1 wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Yep. Exactly.

Desensitization.

That wasn't how I read the OP:

Quote:

Yes. Precisely. It is socially sanctioned blood and gore. People can get used to anything, and rationalize it if everyone else is.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics