Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you think this is considered considered good money

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 9:15 pm
Just wondering what you think of my job...I work full time 9-5, and 9-1 on fridays. I work as a director in my office . My job is demanding and very stressful at times, as I am fully responsible for alottt. I am currently making around $24 an hour, plus I get insurance for myself and dh (without any deduction of my check). I am young, have one baby. dh thinks I should be getting paid more. jw what you guys think if this is considered good or not??

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 9:22 pm
amother wrote:
Just wondering what you think of my job...I work full time 9-5, and 9-1 on fridays. I work as a director in my office . My job is demanding and very stressful at times, as I am fully responsible for alottt. I am currently making around $24 an hour, plus I get insurance for myself and dh (without any deduction of my check). I am young, have one baby. dh thinks I should be getting paid more. jw what you guys think if this is considered good or not??
I make around the same for a similar really demanding job description. I don't think it's enough but this is the market Sad

cm

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 9:23 pm
It depends on where you live (cost of living and salaries vary tremendously by region), what kind of industry you work in, and what kind of "director" you are.

Assuming that you are in the US, free insurance is a rare and special thing. When you take that into consideration, your salary is equivalent to that of someone making quite a bit more before deductions.

medola

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 9:23 pm
I guess depends what it is you do exactly, maybe also factoring in your highest education/degree... But overall, yeah I'd say you're good!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:

Having your employer pay your insurance is like getting paid tons more than you really are. Paying out of pocket would be VERY expensive for you.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 9:27 pm
Im the OP...actually I do not have a degree (started, unfortunately never finished) , this was my first "office job" after coming home from seminary..I did not make this when I started, slowly raised a few times.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 9:28 pm
OP again- yes you are right about the insurance, I know its a big thing. I know for the plan dh and I have, it costs the company about 1450-1500 month for the two of us...so it is deff a factor..

medola

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 9:31 pm
Then $24 is great IMO, especially with the health insurance being paid for!
Maybe you can look into whether your company offers tuition reimbursement - you can have them pay for you to finish your degree... and once you get that degree you can ask for more $$.

I'm curious what kind of work you do?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 9:35 pm
I work for a home care agency...

medola

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 9:58 pm
Cool!

ElTam

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 10:05 pm
That sounds like very good money when you figure in the insurance.

de_goldy

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 10:08 pm
That sounds like excellent pay when you factor in the insurance and skill level.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 10:17 pm
you do realize that for 36 hours a week you are earning $864. multiply by 52 weeks and that is $44,928 a year plus approximately $15,000 a year in health insurance which comes to about $60,000 a year for someone without a degree who is working under 40 hours a week.

in this economy that is AMAZING money. starting professionals dont earn that much.

ROFL

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 10:21 pm
Just think of this. If you are in home care in NYC the aides you send out to work in people's homes proabbaly are making eight bucks an hour. You get paid three times their salary. It is excellent pay !

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 11:12 pm
op here
thanks guys!! really, really... thank u!! I feel better and now I am just a bit more excited/motivated to get up and go to work tomorrow. seriously... its amazing what a few words of encouragement can do. I just wanted to hear what it would sound like to other ppl... thanks again:)

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 11:36 pm
My husband, who is a well paid 'Director' in a demanding field (there is always argument that he could be making more, but he IS well paid) and has had a number of 'bad luck' situations over the years where he was laid off or the company closed or whatever.

We are in Canada so insurance is really 'just' drugs since we don't get optical and have no need for the rest of the benefits we have. Still, along with 'bonus' and whatever opportunities for raising salary (at this job twice a year) he is doing extremely well. He works about 80 to a hundred hours a week right now (yup, in just six days) but is working on hiring more staff so that he can get back to what is considered normal for a person in his level- about 55 hours.

Having been in a position many times where he had to consider employment situations and offers, he always looks at the whole picture: salary, vacation, benefits, education opportunities, advancement opportunities and bonus. Personally, I am not so interested in bonus, because they rarely pay off well. I think once in 20 years, he got a 25K bonus and of course 12.5 K went to taxes and he was laid off a month later. Most of the other bonuses have been non existent or minimal. Interestingly, he does not take into account anything jewishly because typically he is able to work around Fridays in the winter and Holidays can be taken as vacation when you negotiate enough of that.

I think you are right to consider your work schedule, your benefits and the fact that you don't have a complete post secondary education. I do, and never made more than 45K with a degree.

If you are in the States, I think you are very lucky. We have a much better economy here in Canada but it seems to me that plenty of very well qualified people are out of work in the states, or underemployed. If you are happy and your job 'works' for you, then shkoyach. If not, it is better to look for a new position from a position of being employed already.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 11:39 pm
yes, I am in the states- ny

Tova

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 11:57 pm
Agreed that you have a great salary considering the health benefits and your schooling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics