Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do you think of...fish shape for fish course?
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 5:02 pm
I see, here and there, friends serving their gef fish on a fish shaped platter; what do you think of this?

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 6:27 pm
Hey Chocolate Mousse - my daughter and I were by a sholos seudos once and someone worked so hard to prepare a fish platter that resembled a fish with vegetables as the scales, etc. we both thought it was gross!!!! Do we really want to know that we're eating an animal - I think not.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 7:33 pm
It depends on the platter. We got a cute Shalach Monos with a smoked fish and salad, on one of those cheap glass "fishie" platters that are probably $2 in Amazing Savings.

The kids like it, and sometimes put out our Shabbbos fish on it, but I don't like it, it's cheap looking.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 7:47 pm
I agree I think its tacky.

imagine putting ur roast on a cow platter?

I mean some things we'd like to forget...

Esther01

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 7:50 pm
try to imagine a fancy silver platter....

why imagine something gross?

truth is, I never saw such a platter, but they could be nice, I think

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 9:31 pm
IF the din was that you had to have totally separate things,it'd be worht it, but since you don't.........

lamplighter

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 10:14 pm
a silver cow for ur roast?

chen

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 1:38 pm
la456 wrote:
I agree I think its tacky.

imagine putting ur roast on a cow platter?

I mean some things we'd like to forget...

LOL...but I agree 100%. Fish platters must have been a la mode when we got married b/c we got enough platters and luncheon plates to supply a seafood restaurant. I got rid of them at once for many reasons, only one of which was--why do we want to remind ourselves & our guests that what we are eating once had a face? I also consider quite tasteless the practice of stuffing the whitefish skin with whitefish salad and serving it that way. Reminds me of, lehavdil, the practice of serving on a platter a whole suckling pig with an apple in its mouth. Yuck.

oh, la456, what do you think of cow-shaped creamers? I think they're tacky, too--even the ones that are sterling silver circa 1750 and valued at more than all my worldly possessions put together.

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 1:41 pm
my mom serves her turkey on a platter with a turkey on it. I think it's cute. I've seen others serve fish on a fish-shaped platter; I thought it looked nice.

Hannah!

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 1:41 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Thu, May 01 2008, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

bonzie

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 1:46 pm
I think its cute to do that!

mumsy23

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 1:49 pm
Me too - I like it!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 2:19 pm
Oy, I didn't mean to create such a controversy...I hope no one has their feelings hurt!

mumoo

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 2:27 pm
I was once served a slice of gf, from the loaf thing. the hostess cut a small triangle section out (that became the mouth) and placed it on the other side of the circle (to be a fishtail)
I think a carrot slice was the eye, or bubbles or something. I was not grossed out, just stunned that she was making pictures out of food on Shabbos.

I never really asked a shaila if this was usser, b/c she is a lovely woman and I dont want to find out if she is wrong...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 2:56 pm
What's wrong with "making pictures" on Shabbos? Which melacha is it?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 3:05 pm
mumoo wrote:
I was once served a slice of gf, from the loaf thing. the hostess cut a small triangle section out (that became the mouth) and placed it on the other side of the circle (to be a fishtail)
I think a carrot slice was the eye, or bubbles or something. I was not grossed out, just stunned that she was making pictures out of food on Shabbos.

I never really asked a shaila if this was usser, b/c she is a lovely woman and I dont want to find out if she is wrong...

my mother does this sometimes. she cuts out a trianlge for the tail and uses carrots as the fins and sometimes mouth:)
its just a cute thing, thats all!

mumoo

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 4:02 pm
kosaiv-also applies to carving fruits, vegetables, bread or any food items into meaningful figures-triangles ok, but not letters, numbers, peolple, animals etc

I have no specific sourcce for this, but thats why I said I would have to ask a rov-but I dont want to

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 4:08 pm
It's a SHAPE, not a specific animal!

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 4:15 pm
Couldn't shapes be a problem too? Arrangements by color are also , I think. like cake platters. one piece chocolate, next yellow cake, next chocolate. And what about fruit platters, with orange canteloupe slices, green honeydew, red watermelon wedges, everything arranged by color. I think it's also a question. Whenever we prepare cut up fruit platters, we do it before Shabbos.

mumoo

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 4:28 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
It's a SHAPE, not a specific animal!

Quote:
Couldn't shapes be a problem too? Arrangements by color are also

a simple shape, like be a triangle, or a square is not
its putting them together to form a recognizable, meaningful picture

I think the arrangements is more borer
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen