Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
A Satmar woman takes Deborah Feldman to task for allegations
1  2  3  4  Next

Arcy

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 10:23 pm
A Female Member of the Satmar Community in Williamsburg takes Deborah Feldman to task for her allegations in a recent newspaper interview…

http://www.jewishpress.com/sec.....24/0/

thought this was well written and interesting.

Merrymom

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 10:37 pm
A fantastic response. Now if I can only slip in this article into my library's copy...

I just checked my library to request this book, I'm 88th in line. I guess that should make alot of you happy, think of all the people that are NOT buying this book.

Maya

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:16 pm
I'm second in line now at the library. 2 of 88 holds.

Annie

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:18 pm
That was very nicely written, not just on content but it was well-written in the grammar/vocabulary sense as well.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:25 pm
Eh, I was underwhelmed.

One line that drove me crazy "she shed her light of spirituality … in exchange for the darkness of materialism."

THat's a statement often thrown around with people who go OTD and its largely not true (IME anyway).

Sherri

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:32 pm
431 holds at the Brooklyn Public Library.

September June

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:47 pm
Her book is rated 2 1/2 stars on Amazon. While I'm sure many of her haters contributed to the one star reviews, most of the positive reviews were put up before the book came out. I'm not sure that a sequel would sell too well.

Chloe

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:51 pm
Sherri wrote:
431 holds at the Brooklyn Public Library.

Wow, that's a lot.

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:59 pm
She makes it sound like taking college courses is dangerous.

chavamom

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 12:14 am
Amazing! And written by a woman with a 4th grade education! Wink

Isramom8

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 1:12 am
Good for Rachel (the author of this article). Kudos. Kol hakavod.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 2:34 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Eh, I was underwhelmed.

One line that drove me crazy "she shed her light of spirituality … in exchange for the darkness of materialism."

THat's a statement often thrown around with people who go OTD and its largely not true (IME anyway).

I liked that statement and IMHO is utterly and completely true. I thought the article was articulate and well written.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 3:37 am
Very well written & well put.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 7:26 am
ChossidMom wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
Eh, I was underwhelmed.

I liked that statement and IMHO is utterly and completely true. I thought the article was articulate and well written.

What makes her materialistic?

Simple1

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 8:26 am
Merrymom wrote:
A fantastic response. Now if I can only slip in this article into my library's copy...

I just checked my library to request this book, I'm 88th in line. I guess that should make alot of you happy, think of all the people that are NOT buying this book.

249 holds in Lakewood (Ocean Country Library System).

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 8:26 am
Dunno. Seems to me that the opposite of spirituality is materialism. Maybe Gashmius is a better word. Doesn't necessarily mean a person wants lots of "stuff". Just means they're choosing the material and tangible over the spiritual and intangible. Hard to imagine that a Jewish girl eating seafood and bacon is still "spiritual", kwim?

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 8:35 am
My thoughts:

Not a badly written article. The author makes some valid points. Some criticisms:

1. The author is anonymous ("Rachel"). Why? She says she (or rather her sister) know DF. I suppose I will believe her, but we don't really have any more reason to believe her than we do DF. For all we know, the woman who wrote this piece is not even Satmar. It could be anybody. This anonymity damages her credibility.

2. She makes some claims about how DF lived and what she was thinking after she moved away from Williamsburg. How does the author know this?

3. She makes it sound utterly impossible for a Satmar bride to not understand what happens on one's wedding night. I have seen several posts here from women recounting their utter cluelessness and poor kallah class preparation, so it seems feasible that DF could easily have been a clueless kallah. Also, having limited access to a library does not mean one checks out books on anantomy or intimacy. One has to know what to look for.

4. I don't know what a chassidish bathing suit looks like, but I know that nowadays there are modest swimsuits for Orthodox clientelle that do include long sleeves and a skirt over long shorts. I don't know if they made those when DF was growing up.

5. I do think that her point about DF taking her particular experiences and generalizing are valid. It is easy to see how audiences seeing her interviews can think that her experiences are true for all Orthodox Jews.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 9:05 am
DrMom wrote:
My thoughts:

Not a badly written article. The author makes some valid points. Some criticisms:

1. The author is anonymous ("Rachel"). Why? She says she (or rather her sister) know DF. I suppose I will believe her, but we don't really have any more reason to believe her than we do DF. For all we know, the woman who wrote this piece is not even Satmar. It could be anybody. This anonymity damages her credibility.

2. She makes some claims about how DF lived and what she was thinking after she moved away from Williamsburg. How does the author know this?

3. She makes it sound utterly impossible for a Satmar bride to not understand what happens on one's wedding night. I have seen several posts here from women recounting their utter cluelessness and poor kallah class preparation, so it seems feasible that DF could easily have been a clueless kallah. Also, having limited access to a library does not mean one checks out books on anantomy or intimacy. One has to know what to look for.

4. I don't know what a chassidish bathing suit looks like, but I know that nowadays there are modest swimsuits for Orthodox clientelle that do include long sleeves and a skirt over long shorts. I don't know if they made those when DF was growing up.

5. I do think that her point about DF taking her particular experiences and generalizing are valid. It is easy to see how audiences seeing her interviews can think that her experiences are true for all Orthodox Jews.

I agree with every point.
The swimsuits with pants and a dress? I often see them, either very frum women or Arab women wear them here in Israel.
Clueless kallas? Apparently they exist in groups less sheltered than Satmar, if one goes by this board. Totally plausible.

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 9:08 am
She's not "Rachel". Rachel is the woman who writes that column. I don't know if they ever put in real names; I think all the columns are anonymous.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 9:27 am
ChossidMom wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
Eh, I was underwhelmed.

Where did my response go???

Anyway, what makes her materialistic?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links