Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Help me make Shabbos please
1  2  Next

willow

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 10:44 am
I am having important guest this week and I am so tired from my teething babe.
I don't have a blender or food processor. I love salads and dips but don't see how this could work
From Challah to dessert help me please with ideas and recipes
Thank you

celestial

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 11:29 am
Challah: Can you buy this? If not, you don't need a blender or food processor to make a yummy delicious recipe. Here's a great whole wheat one:
5 1/2 pounds flour (I do 3 1/2 whole wheat plus 2 white)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup oil
4 1/2 cups water
4 1/2 tablespoons dry yeast with 1 cup of very warm water mixed with 1 tsp sugar

Basically, you mix the yeast in a measuring jug with the 1 cup water and 2 tsp sugar and let it bubble.
In a large bowl measure out all the rest of the dry ingredients and mix. Then add eggs, yeast mixture and rest of water. Mix with a spoon as much as you can, add the oil and knead with your hands till it's all mixed properly.
Let it rise for a few hours, shape into 8 loaves, rise again for 45 mins. Bake at 375 until golden brown around 40 mins.

Dips:
It's hard to make things smooth and creamy from scratch without a food processor. This is where your lack of equipment will be annoying. Can you buy hummus and add interesting ingredients, like zaatar, sun dried tomatoes, great olive oil, olives, paprika etc? I'm pretty sure you can also make babaganoush without a food processor or blender. Just roast eggplants with slivers of garlic pieces in the skin. Then mix up the roasted flesh with mayo or tehina, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper, the garlic (minced), and maybe some fresh mint sprinkled on top or another herb. You can also take any herb and mince it and put it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar or soy sauce as a dip for the challah.

Salad:
Go simple with the salad, aiming for abundance and freshness (forget mayonnaise and craisins and teeny portions). Lots of Romaine, or mixed greens (arugula, frisee etc), fresh kale or mustard greens if you like something very different. Traditional toppings - tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, radishes, corn, etc. Really simple dressing is best to highlight the veggies - here are two:
1. Olive oil - half as much of something tart as olive oil (2 parts olive oil, 1 part either vinegar of some kind, lemon/lime juice etc), and salt/pepper to taste. You can add a sprinkling of brown sugar if you like it a little sweeter.
2. Honey mustard. 1/2 cup of honey, a 1/2 cup of mustard (roughly), olive oil to thin it out, salt and pepper. This goes well with the more bitter greens.

You can also make pasta salad or potato salad, or 3 bean mexican salad. Taco salad is usually a crowd pleaser: romaine, avocados, tomatoes, olives, crumbled taco chips with a dressing of mayonnaise and salsa (equal parts).

For soup - what about a simple chicken soup? Brown some onions at the bottom of the soup pot (fry them in olive oil until clear) then add chopped carrots, celery, potatoes, chicken, water, some herbs, bay leaf, bring to a boil then simmer. Matzah balls can be from a mix. Google some recipes to get other good ideas for what to put in the soup and how to deal with the meat.

For the main course, do some sort of grain - if you buy rice, quinoa, etc you can follow the directions on the package. You can add parsley and mint minced for some flavor, or sauted onions and mushrooms.

Roast a butternut squash or some sort of other root vegetable/squash for a side dish. Just sprinkle on some honey or maple syrup. You can also make a kugel of some kind, it shouldn't be hard to find a recipe for that, and it should be doable with a grater, maybe?

For a vegetable, why not roast some cauliflower or broccoli?

For chicken, here's a recipe that never fails (apparently - I've made it before and it's gotten lots of compliments, but I don't eat meat:
http://www.epicurious.com/reci.....77030

For dessert, can you find a simple brownie or cookie recipe? Even do a cake mix of some kind, using real vanilla or almond essence to make it seem homemade and yummy? You can also do ice cream with a cookie stuck in, in fancy glasses.

chefmommy

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 11:36 am
btw I sometimes make plenty dips with hand blender less than $10 for it

u can use frying pan or pots matbucha eggplant salad or just buy

willow

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 11:41 am
Wow I can not tell you how much I appreciate you typing all of that up. I love making Challah but this week I am going to buy even though my ego does not' want me too.
I know you don't eat meat but is that recipe sweet? We don't like things very sweet here especially proteins.
Could I have a really good/interesting pasta and potato salad recipe please?
Thank you again

cm

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 11:50 am
Perhaps your guest, no matter how "important," will appreciate a simple home-style meal. Soup/stew/cholent from the crockpot, a baked main dish (meat for traditionalists, vegetable pie for vegetarians), vegetable side dish - see below, salad. Done. You don't need to show off everything you know how to make when your little baby needs you more.

Can you get high quality take-out salads and dips?

Baked/roasted squash is an excellent idea for an elegant side dish. Also - microwaved or sauteed asparagus or green beans with dressing, with or without almonds/pine nuts. Serve cold.

Very easy salads that don't require blending - pasta, potato (try unpeeled with red or blue skinned potatoes - less work, looks pretty), hearts of palm/tomato/avocado, spinach/strawberry. Carrot or cabbage salad is a bit of work to grate by hand, but looks pretty - you can decide if you're up to it.

Grapefruit half is a nice simple appetizer, as is gefilte fish, if garnished attractively. No need for fussy stuffed little vegetables or the like, no matter how nice for company. Ready-to-use soup from a carton (not condensed canned soup) is sometimes very yummy.

Spectacular fruit dessert - cut up a pineapple (easier than it sounds) and place the top with the fronds sticking up in the middle of a platter, and arrange fruit around it. Makes basic cut fruit look amazing! Do you have a kosher bakery available? If you want to bake from scratch, keep it simple - banana bread, muffins, etc, rather than layer cakes or anything that needs to be decorated.

Hope this helps!

celestial

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 11:52 am
My guess with the chicken is that it is more salty than sweet, but I couldn't tell you for sure. Here's another recipe that's also good and it doesnt have any ingredients that could make it sweet:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2510

I don't make pasta or potato salad that often, so I don't have very many recipes. My favorite pasta salad is angel hair pasta with pesto and halved cherry tomatoes. Can you buy pesto? I usually make it in my blender. (Blenders are verrrrrry cheap, I bought one off a friend for $15 that lasted for years!)

I like potato salad with cruncy things, like celery or pickles. I don't have a recipe I've ever used, just tasted ones I like, so I'm sorry Sad I'm SURE other people on this website can help you out, or a quick search should yield something. I also love the website foodgawker.com, just do a search and you can tell by the picture if it's good or not, then click on it for the recipe.

Good luck!!

celestial

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 11:57 am
Oh, also, with the Peruvian chicken, I make mashed sweet potatoes and wild rice with wild mushrooms.

mfb

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 11:58 am
angel hair pasta, scallions and sesame seeds

sauce

equal parts of oil, sugar, soy sauce
for 1 pack pasta I use approx. 7 tbsp each

the original recipe calls for vinegar to but I didnt like it

busydev

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 12:44 pm
re: dips. you can make a dill dip without a foo processor- mayo, dill, chives, water, mix. delish

MMCH

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 4:26 pm
you could make a salt and pepper loskshen kugel- spice adn spirit
and apple crisp/kugel could all be made by hand
a favorite by us is simple roasted veggies..I do zuchinni, portobello mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower..its always the first thing to go when we have company.. I just toss the vegg with olive oil salt and pepper, and those frozen garlic cubes..

the KBD(green) has a great dessert using three different color sorbets that you defrost and refrost into muffins tins, no mixer or blender..very cute and pretty simple.

shoemaker

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 4:30 pm
celestial wow what an amaizing recipe sight thanx for sharing.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 4:56 pm
dips without food processor:

tehina: mix 1 part tehini paste with 1 part water in a small jar or container. add a crushed garlic clove, a drip of lemon juice and salt to taste. cover jar/container well and shake shake shake until smooth and creamy.

dill Dijon: 3/4 cup mayo, 2 Tbsp Dijon, 1 Tbsp lemon juice , 2 garlic crushed, lic OR 1 tsp prepared minced garlic, 1 tsp dried dill, 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp pepper. combine in a small container. cover and shake until smooth. needs to chill in refrigerator 2 hours before serving.

roasted garlic dip: wrap whole heads of garlic. cover tightly in foil. bake until soft. when cool enough to handle, squeeze out garlic from top of garlic heads. should come out in a smooth creamy stream. season with salt. serve.

babaganoush: pierce eggplant with tines of a fork. wrap in foil. place in baking pan. roast in oven for about 1 hour and 10 minutes until soft. cut eggplant in half. when cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp. place in container. add mayo, a drop of vinegar, crushed garlic, and salt to taste. mash with fork to blend.

RachaelLeah

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 5:40 pm
(Off topic but do look for clove oil for your baby's teething - it's miraculously helpful!! Dilute it with another oil - like olive oil - a few drops of clove oil to one tablespoon of olive oil, test it on your own tongue to make sure it's strong enough to numb but not too strong to hurt your baby. It's great stuff, everyone I lend it to doesn't want to give it back. Good luck with Shabbos!!)

mamaleh

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 8:03 pm
here is how to make a good, basic potato salad:
boil the potatoes (whole, in the peel) till a knife slides in easily. Peel them & cut into smallish pieces. Add chopped pickles (dill) & a drop of the pickle juice, shredded carrot (I just peel it into shreds with my peeler), mayo, mustard & salt & pepper to taste. Mix it all together and chill till you are ready to serve.

Tiale

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 8:45 pm
I make my pot salad like mammaleh but instead of carrot I grate a boiled egg & fry an onion & mix it in.

Easyyy chicken: (btw its not sweet! My dh doesn't like sweet proteins & loved it Smile ) dip chicken in bowl of coconut milk (with spices garlic powder, salt, pepper wtvr you like) then in matza meal or bread crumbs with same spices & bake on 375 I think for an hour. After 45 mins turn them over. Bake uncovered.

Or- cut baby potatoes in half, slice olives, garlic & onions. Put in baking pan with chicken, salt paprika, cumin, garlic powder, parsley (optional fancy) & pepper. Cover & open at the last 10 mins for color. Yum!!

Tiale

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 8:50 pm
Look up my perfect chocolate roll (on this site). So easy & soooooo fancy!

Bake gefilte fish in oven with sauteed onions & tomatoes (or bell peppers) & spices on top. Cover for 40 mins then open for color. 350 degrees. Fancy! Mix wasabi sauce with mayo, and ketchup/chrein with mayo for fish in little bowls or glasses.

Deli rolls- layer of puffpastry dough, cold cuts, ketchup or mustard or none. Roll like a jelly roll & slice then put a confetti toothpick in with sliced pickles on side.

EMmom

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 9:38 pm
here are some ideas of really quick things and/or minimal prep time before shabbos

pumpkin or sweet potato pie - buy them canned to help with prep and both of them are one bowl, mix by hand and look so pretty in a pie crust

sushi salad (with or without imitation crabmeat) - all you have to do is make the sushi rice before shabbos and u can make the rest on shabbos

black bean corn and avocado salad - 2 canned items some oil seasongs (some fresh cilantro, parsley or lime if u want it extra nice) you can also do it with quinoa

asian cole slaw - buy package of cole slaw with any or all the following: ramen noodles, scallion, craisins, almonds, sesame seeds & just make a dressing of vinegar, sugar, oil, s&p, soy sauce

elaela

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 6:48 am
ok here is my fancy EASY shabbos rescue (it helped me whenever I had to work fridays till 4pm , and had to cook in the mornings ie between 4 and 6 am).

1st course; pancakes with smoked salmon:
mix egg, mineral watter (with bubbles), flour and bake thin pancakes.
mix mayo, dill, chives, whatever herbs u have and salt and spread on pancake.
add slices of smoked salmon.
roll like tortillas and cut diagonally in the middle
serve two halves on a plate with some veggies chrain and majo.
drizzle with dried parsley

2nd course: tomato soup
fry onions, add canned tomatoes and let simmer.
add either a marinara herb mixture or marinara sauce and garlic.
serve in cups, put some soy-creamer in the middle of the plate, drizzle with dried basil, and add croutpns (or serve with bought grissini sticks)

3rd course: crockpot brisket
add brisket one can of sauerkraut, one can of tomatoesand one cup of brown sugar to the crockpot.
cook ok high for about 7 hours (depending on your crockpot).
remove meat, serve sauerkraut separatly as a veggy, serve with potatoes

OR

chicken with rice
boil rice
add salt and red paprica powder to chicken legs.
bake them in the oven (1 hour).
add the fat/sauce/juice to the rice, as well as cillantro.
place the chicken legs nicely on a platter with saladleaves.
decorate with lemon slices and sprincle with curry powder / red paprica powder
serve with beans:
boil green beans (I buy tjhem frozen) or about 7 minutes, drain, add oil, garlic, herbs, almonds.

dessert: chock cake - no equipment needed
add 1 cup cocoa powder, sugar, oil, flour, boiling ater and baking powder to a boil, mix with a spoon, add to baking pan (I suggest a round one) and bake for 40 minutes (I have to check the measurements!).

let cool, cut in the middle (like a sandwich) and spread apricot jam, and put the pieces together again

sprinkle confectioners sugar or spread a chcok frosting on top.
serve with blueberries, mint leaves or vanillasauce.

prep time for all the abouve is 2 hours in total (if u can multitask, and no kids need ur attention)!!!

maybe its not the most elegant dinner, but imho its totally ok even for choshuve guests.

btw: id buy challah, and humus (add some spices, serve in nice bowls ,add olives etc.

as for the dips: babaganush , tomatodip, avocado dip, eggspread etc.dont really need a food processor.

salad: id buy a lot of leaf-salad, add corn, small tomoes, cut up peppers n cucumbers... serve with a yummy dressing (either mayo-chive, dijonmustard-oliveoil,-balsamic vinegar lemon-cylantro...whatever u like)

set the table nicely, add nice napkins, nice flowers etc...that wil make a nice atmosphere and will make even simple food look shabbosdig.
and dont forget: on shabbos EVERTHING u serve tastes AMAZING!!!

willow

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 10:00 am
cm, YOu are so so right my baby is more important then my ego.
I took your idea and bought a lovely butternut squash that I am going to just roast.
Don't have strawberry, fresh pineapple or canned hearts of palm.

chefmommy, I can't buy a hand blender at this point toivel it and have it completely dried so I don't electrocute myself before Shabbos.

celestial, My dh is allegic to nuts so no pesto anyways no blender so Wink

mommyfrombrooklyn, I am going to add that pasta salad to my ss meal using regular pasta as I can't buy angel hair here.

busydev, I went shopping and don't have fresh dill on hand can that dip be made with dried?

vordale, definitively going to make those roasted veggies its easy and pretty thanx!

ra_mom, I was waiting for you to show up( ( Very Happy ) dh is allergic to techinah and chickpeas.
The dill Dijon: sounds perfect and different. I make roasted garlic as well.

RachaelLeah, I am so happy you posted it. Do you just rub it on his gums/teeth? How often he cries if I give him anything but carrots and yogurts so what do I do when he cries from it?

mamaleh, Thank you for the recipe/

Tiale, What an interesting idea of using the coconut milk. Is sounds so different and I happen to have a can of coconut milk so I am going to try it. By the way could you bump your easy chocolate roll?

EMmom Would love to make that salad but we don't have fake crab here. For fish I bought some smoked stuff and will make little crudites and cracker bites with dip. I am going to try the coleslaw

ariela, That pancake is so my style unique and pretty. Only thing is I did not buy smoked salmon maybe I will send my dh out ( nah probably won't Wink Good idea to buy ready made dips even though it makes me a bit embarrassed
I am also going for paper goods as I just can't move that much these days.

Thank you all. Somehow I will get it together.

sunny90

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 10:23 am
Another idea for an easy dessert is perfectly chocolate choc cake. You can make it in muffin tins with cupcake cups in them, then warm them up on the hot plate and drizzle chocolate syrup over them and/or serve with vanilla ice cream. It's my go-to dessert whenever I'm desperate.

Quote:

Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake

1 ¾ cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup non-dairy creamer, milk or water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour the pan of your choice.
Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl, stirring until well blended.
Add milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl.
Fold in boiling water with a spoon or rubber spatula.
Bake for 25 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus