Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Are you baking for MM?
1  2  Next

wereafamily

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 3:26 pm
Am I supposed to make my oven parve? (I'm to lazy to put my oven on self cleaner for the next 3 hours..)

Faigy86

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 3:30 pm
Just label it Fleishig Keilim (or milchig)

Frazzled Mommy

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 3:35 pm
Odds are that your oven is already pareve even if you don't burn it out. There are only very specific circumstances which would make your oven fleishig/milchig. You would have to consult with your local rabbi for specifics on your oven, but you likely don't need to label anything at all.

PZA

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 3:46 pm
Why so u bake? Do you think someone wanted your baked stuff? All baked stuff we troughs straight into garbage!
I never know how many kids hands and feet were in their

Strawberry2

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 3:52 pm
PZA wrote:
Why so u bake? Do you think someone wanted your baked stuff? All baked stuff we troughs straight into garbage!

ChillPill I personally hate baking but there are many out there that do.
What you do with what you get is your business. There are those that I toss their homemade things & some that we have no problem with.

wereafamily

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 3:58 pm
PZA wrote:

What is the difference between eating by someone for shabbos and getting baked goods for mm? or maybe you don't eat out...

wereafamily

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 3:59 pm
Frazzled Mommy wrote:
Odds are that your oven is already pareve even if you don't burn it out. There are only very specific circumstances which would make your oven fleishig/milchig. You would have to consult with your local rabbi for specifics on your oven, but you likely don't need to label anything at all.

interesting..will find out!

wereafamily

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 4:00 pm
Strawberry2 wrote:
PZA wrote:

ChillPill I personally hate baking but there are many out there that do.
What you do with what you get is your business. There are those that I toss their homemade things & some that we have no problem with.

I hate baking but its so much cheaper than buying..

mandksima

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 4:00 pm
Why would you assume the kids do the baking? I would never buy ready-made hamentashen or other baked goods, I bake challot and cookies/cakes. Everyone around me eats from everyone else so I would hope no one would throw away good food.

I have never thrown away food from someone else either unless it was really yucky tasting for some reason.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 4:04 pm
I happen to get a lot of really good tasty baked goods. We are on the road almost the whole day on purim and we eat in the car. I always thanks the poeple after. Then again, it's usually people we know well and bake well too.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 4:42 pm
Not baking because I'm making MMs that everyone will eat, closed packages with the strictest of hechsherim. If my kids bake that'll be extra, and go only to those we are sure will eat it.

sky

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 4:49 pm
PZA wrote:

I only give mm to people I know well. Almost everyone tells me they enjoy my food for lunch Purim day. Why shouldn't I believe them? And most baked goods I get in return we eat (except if it doesn't look appetizing or I don't know the people very well)

When I bake for mm my oven is pareve based on how I hold. (Oven is clean - ie no meat spills - and oven didn't bake uncovered fleishigs for 24 hours)

Isramom8

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 4:53 pm
One year I baked mini cheese cakes. I believe that people ate them, because they were chewing when they called to say that they are delicious. One recipient said that it "was" delicious. This was about three minutes after it was delivered. Very Happy

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 7:52 pm
I bake for MM because it involves the kids. They're excited to give their friends and neighbors things that they baked. And if the food doesn't get eaten, it has still served its purpose, because my kids will never know.

My mother threw out all baked goods I didn't get to first. I never understood her. As someone else on this thread said, do you not eat at other people's houses? She would be fine with me staying for lunch or dinner at my friend's house, but not with me eating their baked goods -- just their dinner foods? I think it's more of a paranoia than anything else, unless you really don't know the people well (or know them and wouldn't eat at their home).

Oh, and my fancy MM are probably going to be a baked good and an apple. Or something similar. Sorry don't buy into the whole culture...

newmommy22

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 8:16 pm
I generally burn out my oven before I bake for MM, even though I hold my oven is pareve similar to how sky does and if my oven's clean there's probably no need for it. I know that not everyone holds like that so I burn it out

observer

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 9:03 pm
I always self-clean my oven before baking for mm so that I can be certain it is pareve. (fleishig stuff does sometimes spill or leak... otherwise you would have to write fleishig keilim)

observer

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 9:06 pm
PZA wrote:

When I bake for other people, it is done by me with washed hands and everything clean. I give mm to people that I know and everyone eats what I send. maybe the rov has a no home baked goods policy, but my family and friends certainly eat it and I get feedback on it so I know they ate it. if one or two random people choose not to eat it, that's their issue. they may also not like banana laffy taffies if I sent that instead.

If you're offering to fund store-bought stuff, that's fine, but otherwise, baking is a lot more affordable and it's clean and yummy too!

yksraya

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 9:08 pm
I have one fleishig oven and one parve one. I use a toaster oven for milchig.

yksraya

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 9:10 pm
PZA wrote:

and do you buy from a bakery? do you know exactly who touched or sniffed at the bakery goods. homemade is usually cleaner and tastes much better.

seeker

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 10:53 pm
I agree SOME people's homemade things gross me out, but I'm not opposed to the idea in general. For my part, I make sure mine are clean and look appealing. If I had the luxury of a self cleaning oven I'd probably run the cycle just for good measure, but if you don't, you can just stick a label on that says "baked in fleishig[milchig] oven." I actually feel more comfortable getting things labeled like that because it shows the giver is paying attention.

I generally know the people I exchange MM well enough that we would each know whether we feel comfortable eating the other's homemade goods. I would like to hope they're all ok with mine, but I could understand if someone has extra finicky standards and would not touch my food because they have seen how my counters are sometimes sticky or whatever.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics