Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Dear Ami, Binah, and Mishpacha

dveikus

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 11:30 pm
Dear Ami, Binah, and Mishpacha,

Please make normal issues for Purim this year. I pay a lot to buy all three magazines each week, and I don't appreciate paying to read my favorite columns and finding jokes instead. For those people who do appreciate your style of humor, make a separate section for it - but leave the regular columns alone. Your magazines are part of my oneg Shabbos. Please don't take away the "oneg".

Thank you!

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 12:06 am
ITA. But to be fair, IIRC last year that's what happened - they ran some funnies but for the most part it was in addition to all the regular features. So we got the humor without losing out on the rest, though there may have been somewhat fewer feature articles since the spoofs take up space.

Mishpacha every year does a Hal Dover spoof of the Dov Haller serial, and same idea for the Family First serial as well, though I don't remember if last year they may have included the real one as well due to lynch mobs of frantically addicted serial readers the year before. Hamodia magazine always does a page of bloopers that either appeared or were prevented from appearing in previous issues, most of which I never find that terribly funny. Binah had some mildly cute mock-serial with each part written by a different one of their regulars, but the rest of the magazine IIRC was all there and real. Ami doesn't have much precedent but they seem to me like a serious enough publication to not lose it over purim.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 12:08 am
I agree.

But it's too late now. Their stories were written ages ago. The magazines went to print already (usually the week before.)

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 12:28 am
I wish I had the self control of a friend of mine with regard to these serials. She doesn't read them until they're finished. Then she takes out all the old issues, in order, and reads the whole entire story on one fine afternoon! No nagging feeling in her brain all week about Yalli's future happiness for richer or poorer!

However, for the rest of us, I agree, the spoofs are annoying when you have subconsciously been waiting a week to see what happens next!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 9:51 am
Dear Mags,
I hear what OP is saying and hope you can accommodate everyone. But I just wanted to give a thumbs up. You've had some brilliant stuff - the Naama spoof, a Riva Pomerantz (the kollel guy supplementing his income by offering off his wife's lunches, and the competition) - I can only hope we won't be disappointed.

P.S. That goes for you too, Yated, et al.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 2:46 pm
I agree with OP.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 3:11 pm
I agree!

Levtov

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 11:22 pm
I always like some Purim spoofs. Some are better than others, come on, lighten up....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room