Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Soybean oil
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 8:08 pm
I'm hearing yes anopinion whats your opinion? Is it healthy? I'm taking about 100% pure (soybean oil)

amother

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 8:08 pm
And no*

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 8:16 pm
If you're of the belief that soy in unhealthy (I do), then soy bean oil is considered the same.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 6:45 pm
Anty other opinions?

nylon

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 10:08 pm
I just don't like it. Things fried in it are greasy. It's one thing to buy it for your once a year deep frying (though I get a crisper, lighter result with canola--but that's also controversial for some) but I don't like it for daily use. The stuff is pretty chemically processed.

I have always used safflower oil for my tasteless cooking oil. I've heard some things that it may have health benefits but that isn't really why I use it. My mother always did, and I've since found that the expeller pressed oil doesn't use chemical solvents.

yksraya

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 10:19 pm
I wants asked a natural doctor (holistic approach) about soy products instead of a milk products. she told me soy is extremely unhealthy and there is a strong poison that is made of soybeans. if a poison can be made out of it would I give soy to my kids? she also told me that soy is very cheap to plant and farmers want to make money on it so they let a rumor out saying it's healthy when in reality it's very unhealthy.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 5:30 pm
So no soy milk??
What about soy formula (isomil, prosobee etc.)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 5:45 pm
amother wrote:
So no soy milk??
What about soy formula (isomil, prosobee etc.)
It seriously is better to find a healthier parve alternative to milk than soy.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 5:51 pm
Never knew soy was unhealthy!
Ra mom what do u use instead of milk when u need parve?
what about tofu I thought it was healthy

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 5:55 pm
There are so many soy products I've enjoyed but for many years now I keep hearing that it's really not the health food it was once thought to be. I really limit our soy intake now and definitely wouldn't use soybean oil.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 5:58 pm
Sometimes soy is the only option for formula

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 6:06 pm
Pineapple wrote:
Never knew soy was unhealthy!
Ra mom what do u use instead of milk when u need parve?
what about tofu I thought it was healthy
I usually use Rice Dream. It's thinner than soy milk. Works wonderfully in cakes. Not so much in other things that need thickeners.
I like Almond Breeze which is a bit thicker, but it has some soy lecithin in it and dd is allergic.
I also use Coconut Dream which is thick like soy milk. It's delicious in coffee, with cereal... (Much better than soy.) But I don't think it works too well in savory dishes.

Listen, a little soy milk here and there when you need it and the other substitutes won't work is not such an issue. But feeding a child soy formula as a source of nutrition is problematic in my opinion. (I did it for a few months years ago, but wouldn't do it again.)

I know people feel otherwise, but I don't think tofu is healthy.

The short of it? Soy disrupts hormone balance.

Most of the soy products out there (not actual soy beans or fermented soy like soy sauce IIRC) are GMO (genetically modified organisms).

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Feb 06 2012, 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pineapple

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 6:10 pm
Ra mom soy sauce is OK?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 6:10 pm
amother wrote:
Sometimes soy is the only option for formula
At 6 months of age, dd developed an allergy to milk (her milk formula.)
We switched to soy. It was supposed to be temporary as I knew soy was ideal. I was trying to get a doctor's letter for Wic saying that dd needed the expensive dairy free soy free formula. Unfortunately I was going through a lot at the time and the process took too much out of me. Dd ending up staying on soy for 7 months.
I don't judge people. I myself did what I did. The main thing is awareness. But I would try harder next time. Maybe get someone to take over the project for me.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 6:11 pm
Pineapple wrote:
Ra mom soy sauce is OK?
I believe so.
It's not GMO. But I'm not sure about the hormone thing.
Everything in moderation.

I'd use soy sauce quicker than soy as a substitute in every Parve product I eat. Moderation.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 6:15 pm

Last edited by Pineapple on Mon, Feb 06 2012, 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 6:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Pineapple wrote:
Ra mom soy sauce is OK?
I believe so.
It's not GMO. But I'm not sure about the hormone thing.
Everything in moderation.

I'd use soy sauce quicker than soy as a substitute in every Parve product I eat. Moderation.

I've heard that fermented soy products are different than other soy products and okay health wise. I think this includes soy sauce, miso and tempeh.

db815

Post Sat, Mar 10 2012, 10:07 pm
Wow! I had no idea soy was so unhealthy...I always thought it was soo much better then dairy, and tofu was like a health-food. What about edomame, do you guys eat that??

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 10 2012, 10:15 pm
db815 wrote:
Wow! I had no idea soy was so unhealthy...I always thought it was soo much better then dairy, and tofu was like a health-food. What about edomame, do you guys eat that??
Edamame seems to be in its original form and is not genetically modified. I'm ok with eating it. Though my daughter who is allergic cannot.

db815

Post Sat, Mar 10 2012, 10:17 pm
Thanks ra mom ! I just researched it alittle online and yea, there seem to be many who agree that soy is not as healthy as we think...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking