Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Riva Pomerantz - Diamond Dust
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 19  20  21  Next

sarahd

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 2:20 pm
Um...Riva Pomerantz is not a doctor and I bet she never heard of HIPAA. Especially since she lives in Israel.

chavamom

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 2:52 pm
And basic research wouldn't be part of a writer's job? Huh.

chavamom

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 2:54 pm
PS - per her website, she's only been in Israel for 2 years after making aliyah from Cleveland, her husband works as a psychologist and she originally planned to go into medical research. I'm going to say that there is ample opportunity to know about HIPPA. HIPPA has been in effect in the US since the late 90's. Anyone who has visited a doctor or even had a prescription filled knows what it is.

sarahd

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 5:38 pm
chavamom wrote:
And basic research wouldn't be part of a writer's job? Huh.

Mishpacha writers? Ha.

And you know, I know about HIPAA and have even run into frustrating problems due to it, I consider myself relatively medically knowledgeable, and I really did not make the connection between what the doctor did and HIPAA. I bet that it passed right by 99% of the people that read it, who are not currently in the medical field.

That is not to say that it wasn't a mistake.

chavamom

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 6:48 pm
I'm going to guess that you haven't made much use of US doctors or hospitals then. Most places won't even call you by your name in a waiting room anymore, they are THAT careful.

sarahd

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 6:59 pm
Or else my memory is worse than I thought. I personally haven't made use of US doctors or hospitals since I moved here 10+ years ago, but my father was hospitalized 5 and 6 years ago. HIPAA didn't come up much if at all - or not that I remember, but as I say, I guess my memory is shot.

Here, doctors don't seem to care all that much about patient privacy.

chavamom

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 7:28 pm
There are big fines associated with HIPPA violations.

sarahd

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 7:40 pm
Well, I have a doctor or two here who would have been socked for huge amounts of money if they had been located in the USA.

We are not there yet. We are currently voting on whether to introduce compulsory managed care into our health system.

bashinda

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 10:33 pm
In the new Family First, Riva Pomerantz explains that she uses exaagaration to prove a point, and basically says that the father thinking of Tzvi as a "am haaretz" was in that category and she's not saying he's right and rabbonim also say this isn't right, btw. Phew. Glad to read that. Very Happy

seeker

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:24 pm
bashinda wrote:
In the new Family First, Riva Pomerantz explains that she uses exaagaration to prove a point, and basically says that the father thinking of Tzvi as a "am haaretz" was in that category and she's not saying he's right and rabbonim also say this isn't right, btw. Phew. Glad to read that. Very Happy
That's kind of what I assumed in the first place. Literature in general would be quite boring indeed if fiction writers were only allowed to write literally what they think...

Regarding the doctor thing, I just kind of assumed that in the context of a novel, especially one whose serialized format dictates short installments, not every single word of every single conversation is relayed. Presumably, when Yalli was admitted to the ER in the first place, she was asked whether her parents are accompanying her and whether she wishes for them to be present during examinations and conversations. That's approximately how it went every time I was in a hospital. Didn't think that kind of nitty gritty detail needed to be spelled out in the story, especially since it was likely gotten out of the way on admission which wasn't detailed in the story at all. But speaking of which, do we actually know how old Yalli is? I have a terrible mind for these kinds of details... I gather she's fairly fresh out of seminary so she could theoretically still be a minor though not very likely.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 12:22 am
SPOILER ALERT:

Just read this week's. These details bug me- why is Yalli overwhelmed by Tzvi's house if her best friend Sheva is just as wealthy as Tzvi??

cbt

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 2:23 am
I really appreciated Tzvi's response when Yalli told him she had a panic attack. Up until then I was so bothered by her parent's reaction to it, as though one panic attack means she has psychiatric issues and is now damaged goods. Tzvi definitely went up a notch in my opinion of him the way he reacted, but Yalli definitely has stuff to work through and is really getting on my nerves.

STMommy

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 11:40 am
I am in the mental health field not the medical field but I noticed the confidentiality issue immediately. I had surgery as a young adult accomanied by my mother the whole time, but when the doctor had to share some potentially delicate information unrelated to my surgery, even though my mother was sitting right there, he asked me if it was OK to talk to me in front of her. A quick throwaway line to address this is easy enough.

Quote:
I was so bothered by her parent's reaction to it, as though one panic attack means she has psychiatric issues and is now damaged goods.

That. A sad commentary on our times.

chavamom

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 9:31 am
After reading the RC this week (the other FF serial), I have to say....fainting is so common in these serials. How many of us faint in real life?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 9:42 am
chavamom wrote:
After reading the RC this week (the other FF serial), I have to say....fainting is so common in these serials. How many of us faint in real life?

Then again, how many of us have Naama's eating issues?

chavamom

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 9:48 am
Or Yaali's anxiety. Or....any number of other examples. Fainting seems to be much more common in the pages of frum fiction. Hystrionics much?

sarahd

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 10:25 am
You never read a 19th century women's novel (or read about a character reading such a novel)? Women fainting all over the place there. Burned feathers, smelling salts and the like. Chaise longues to do the fainting on. This is good, old-fashioned cheap drama.

chavamom

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 10:30 am
I thought 19th century fainting epidemics were caused by corsets and reduced lung capacity? Maybe they are all wearing Spanx that are too small and THAT is what is doing all these heroines in. You know, got to squeeze into the sleek size 2 outfit.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 10:49 am
I have very little tolerance for uneducated, unintelligent people, especially those in leadership positions. Which makes yallis parents worse every week- talk about am haaretz. Is riva trying to bring out a subtle message here? If so, I'm right with her.

Sherri

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 1:07 pm
chavamom wrote:
LOL I read both serials this week, too, and wondered the same!
Page 5 of 21   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 19  20  21  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room