Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Major contradiction on medicine bottle
1  2  Next

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 9:55 am
My 3 year old ds is on antibiotics for strep. He loves it. My problem is, it says on the bottle, "Keep out of reach of children." It also says, "Keep refrigerated."

How in heavens name can I keep my refrigerator out of his reach? We've been through many fridge locks- they don't last long when he's around. I found him hiding under my kitchen table the other day, holding his medicine, and he got the cover off just as I got to him. So much for child proof caps. How can I make sure he doesn't drink the whole bottle on his own?

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 10:00 am
Hide it in a container and put it in the back of the fridge.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 10:15 am
That's a good idea. I wonder if I have any containers that aren't see through. Otherwise I guess I can buy one.

Liba

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 10:18 am
For now, I would put it in the back of the dairy drawer behind and under things.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 10:21 am
Just put it in a paper bag in the back. Does he snoop through every new thing he sees?

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 10:22 am
Some people get a small lockable container that goes in the fridge. I'm not sure if they make them specifically for this purpose, but you could use a small tackle box or money box with a padlock.

Liba

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 10:24 am
http://www.amazon.com/Combinat.....hpc_2 Something like that could be put in the fridge.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 10:36 am
Or just put the medicine bottle inside an empty package or jar of some kind of food that wouldn't interest him.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 3:33 pm
Thanks. I'll have to see what I can find to put it into.

reed

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 5:19 pm
Which medicine is it? Lately, many do not need refrigeration. Some say something like refrigeration preferable, but not required. But the pharmacies still often put the refrigeration sticker on the bottle.

I would check with the pharmacy if refrigeration is required, or if it'll be okay for the 7-10 days at room temperature.

imamiri

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 5:26 pm
Your 3 year old can reach all the way to the BACK of the fridge? I mean top shelf, wayyyyy back. Like where things go to turn into science projects. Put it in a paper back and stick it way back there.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Mar 06 2012, 10:44 pm
It's Amoxicillin.

And if you doubt that he can reach the back of the top shelf, then you've never met this kid. He gets everything, no matter how high it is, if he wants to. So far I've been hiding the medicine in my bedroom when he is trying to get it, because wherever I hid it in the kitchen, he saw me putting it there and dragged over chairs, climbed on counters... whatever he needed to do to get that medicine bottle. Nothing is safe if he knows it's there.

My problem is that even if I hide it in the fridge, he'll see me taking it out and putting it back and he'll know where it is. I'll have to try not to let him see, but it won't be easy.

bonitag1

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 1:38 am
With all due respect, there is more that needs doing here than just hiding the medicine bottle. Three year olds are old enough to understand what "no" means and to be punished for disobeying, particularly when its a matter of doing something dangerous. Children need to be taught that medicine is NEVER taken without a grownup dispensing it and that it is very dangerous, and that they could become very sick and end up in the hospital if they don't follow this rule. A potch, strong words, taking away something they want (a toy or a privilege) may be needed to reinforce this lesson and make it memorably unpleasant for the child. Not to mention that three year olds standing on chairs to open refrigerators and take (heavy) things out is pretty dangerous in and of itself.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 6:50 am
Bonitag, something more is being done here. It's called sending my non-verbal, sensory little boy to a special preschool, where is learning that there is such a thing as rules and he has to follow them. Not ALL 3 year olds know these things on their own. He had no concept of rues until he started school. He gets punished about every 5 minutes at home, but he is still a HUGE trouble maker. Taking his medicine by himself is the least of it.

If you have training in teaching special needs kids, feel free to give me more advice about what I must do. Otherwise, please don't judge others until you are in their situation.

chani8

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 10:47 am
bonitag1 wrote:
With all due respect, there is more that needs doing here than just hiding the medicine bottle. Three year olds are old enough to understand what "no" means and to be punished for disobeying, particularly when its a matter of doing something dangerous. Children need to be taught that medicine is NEVER taken without a grownup dispensing it and that it is very dangerous, and that they could become very sick and end up in the hospital if they don't follow this rule. A potch, strong words, taking away something they want (a toy or a privilege) may be needed to reinforce this lesson and make it memorably unpleasant for the child. Not to mention that three year olds standing on chairs to open refrigerators and take (heavy) things out is pretty dangerous in and of itself.

chani8

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 10:54 am
the world's best mom wrote:
Bonitag, something more is being done here. It's called sending my non-verbal, sensory little boy to a special preschool, where is learning that there is such a thing as rules and he has to follow them. Not ALL 3 year olds know these things on their own. He had no concept of rues until he started school. He gets punished about every 5 minutes at home, but he is still a HUGE trouble maker. Taking his medicine by himself is the least of it.

If you have training in teaching special needs kids, feel free to give me more advice about what I must do. Otherwise, please don't judge others until you are in their situation.

She wasn't being judgemental. Ma kesher? How is she supposed to know your child's special needs?

Since you've graced us with that important information, I can tell you that for my child, I had to draw him cause effect pictures. It worked wonders. For instance, here is the mommy giving boy medicine, here is boy with bottle in hand, then x out the picture of boy with bottle, and circle the picture with mommy giving medicine.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 11:27 am
You can't trust even three year olds without special needs to not disobey their parents. yes you can punish, but she would still need to find an answer of where to hide the medicine.. rather than keeping it in reach, assuming they will listen because they are three. Three year olds are very young, often don't listen (again this is refering to non special needs children as well).

Liba

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 11:37 am
chani8 wrote:

She wasn't being judgemental. Ma kesher? How is she supposed to know your child's special needs?

Since you've graced us with that important information, I can tell you that for my child, I had to draw him cause effect pictures. It worked wonders. For instance, here is the mommy giving boy medicine, here is boy with bottle in hand, then x out the picture of boy with bottle, and circle the picture with mommy giving medicine.

Chani8 it isn't new news or something she has hidden from the board. It would be nice if people were more sensitive.

She didn't ask for parenting advice. The bottle itself says to keep out of reach of children, not to talk to (or draw pictures) and then trust your kid.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 12:05 pm
Well I frequent this board daily and I don't remember such details about posters' kids at all and I think that information totally changes the suggestions for the OP, since her situation is so unique.

OP, do you have any other older kids around who could be in charge of hiding the bottle after you give your son the medicine? If you gave it to him and then took him out of the kitchen so he never actually sees where it's kept maybe that would help. He doesn't randomly search the back of the fridge does he? So if he never sees it put back there maybe he'll leave it alone?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 12:18 pm
chani8 wrote:

It's not her fault she didn't know about my son's special needs, but she was assuming that I'm not dealing with the situation properly. Hiding the medicine is the only way to deal with it properly in this case, and nobody else seemed to think it was strange that I would want to hide the medicine from him.

It's very nice to draw pictures if your kid has the understanding and attention span to get your point. If I would try that, I would sit and draw while my son beats up his sisters and wrecks the house. I would hold him and try to show him the pictures while he would struggle to run away and rip the paper (a favorite activity of his). He would have no concept of the fact that the pictures are supposed to be showing him something.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics