Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Major contradiction on medicine bottle
Previous  1  2

Barbara

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:
You can't trust even three year olds without special needs to not disobey their parents. yes you can punish, but she would still need to find an answer of where to hide the medicine.. rather than keeping it in reach, assuming they will listen because they are three. Three year olds are very young, often don't listen (again this is refering to non special needs children as well).

Not sure why this sage advice was posted anonymously.

Sure, we try to teach our young kids to follow rules. But not all kids -- with or without special needs -- have that kind of impulse control. Heck, I'm an adult, and sometimes, I'll see something very delicious that I *know* I shouldn't eat, and can't help myself. (Says she, knowing there will me mishloach manot and hamentaschen tomorrow.)

So, as parents, we try to protect out kids. Put things out of their reach. Because if my kid takes out the Lego when I told him no, discipline helps. But I'm not taking that chance with things that could really injure him.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 12:24 pm
MamaBear wrote:
Well I frequent this board daily and I don't remember such details about posters' kids at all and I think that information totally changes the suggestions for the OP, since her situation is so unique.

OP, do you have any other older kids around who could be in charge of hiding the bottle after you give your son the medicine? If you gave it to him and then took him out of the kitchen so he never actually sees where it's kept maybe that would help. He doesn't randomly search the back of the fridge does he? So if he never sees it put back there maybe he'll leave it alone?

My girls are young and have special needs of their own. They would not drink the medicine, but they might put it somewhere totally strange and forget completely where they put it. I would not feel safe trusting them to hide it for me. Thanks.

So far, I've hidden it behind other things and he hasn't looked for it there. Hopefully that will last for the next 5 days until we're finished with it.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 12:26 pm
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:
You can't trust even three year olds without special needs to not disobey their parents. yes you can punish, but she would still need to find an answer of where to hide the medicine.. rather than keeping it in reach, assuming they will listen because they are three. Three year olds are very young, often don't listen (again this is refering to non special needs children as well).

Not sure why this sage advice was posted anonymously.

Sure, we try to teach our young kids to follow rules. But not all kids -- with or without special needs -- have that kind of impulse control. Heck, I'm an adult, and sometimes, I'll see something very delicious that I *know* I shouldn't eat, and can't help myself. (Says she, knowing there will me mishloach manot and hamentaschen tomorrow.)

So, as parents, we try to protect out kids. Put things out of their reach. Because if my kid takes out the Lego when I told him no, discipline helps. But I'm not taking that chance with things that could really injure him.

Thumbs Up

smiledr

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 9:14 pm
im not sure what the contraindication is...keep it in the fridge and make sure he doesnt get to it...hide it. its ur responsibility as a mother to make sure he doesnt get his hands on it enough said...would u rather it tastes horrible so ur kid wont take it? the chemical makeup of the medication needs it to be kept cold so just hide it in the back of the fridge and problem solved...

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 10:58 pm
smiledr wrote:
im not sure what the contraindication is...keep it in the fridge and make sure he doesnt get to it...hide it. its ur responsibility as a mother to make sure he doesnt get his hands on it enough said...would u rather it tastes horrible so ur kid wont take it? the chemical makeup of the medication needs it to be kept cold so just hide it in the back of the fridge and problem solved...

Thank you for your very helpful and supportive post. It's greatly appreciated.

I'll explain the contradiction to you: It says "KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN." That's not at all the same thing as "Keep in your children's reach and make sure they don't take it even though they can reach it." I understnad it is my responsibility to make sure he doesn't get it, but the only way to do that is to keep it out of his reach. Unfortunately, there is no part of my refrigerator that is totally out of his reach. Do you understand the contradiction now?

People gave me the idea to hide it inside something else. So far it is successfully hiding behind other things. Problem solved- though possibly only temporarily.

chani8

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 5:56 am
I've got a plastic safety lock on my fridge, and I've been in a home where the fridge had a lock and chain!

StrongIma

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 6:02 am
the world's best mom wrote:
MamaBear wrote:
Well I frequent this board daily and I don't remember such details about posters' kids at all and I think that information totally changes the suggestions for the OP, since her situation is so unique.

OP, do you have any other older kids around who could be in charge of hiding the bottle after you give your son the medicine? If you gave it to him and then took him out of the kitchen so he never actually sees where it's kept maybe that would help. He doesn't randomly search the back of the fridge does he? So if he never sees it put back there maybe he'll leave it alone?

My girls are young and have special needs of their own. They would not drink the medicine, but they might put it somewhere totally strange and forget completely where they put it. I would not feel safe trusting them to hide it for me. Thanks.

So far, I've hidden it behind other things and he hasn't looked for it there. Hopefully that will last for the next 5 days until we're finished with it.
for extra protection, I would put it inside an anonymous dark plastic bag. (that's how I hide the chocolate bars Very Happy)

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 2:55 pm
Well, I took the kids to the doctor today and my girls have strep. I asked for chewable medicine so it won't need to be in the fridge and the doctor said the liquid doesn't really need to be refrigerated anyway! Tonight is ds's last dose, so for half a day I get to keep it out of the fridge and out of his reach. Oh well.

Anyway, I've been keeping it in a paper bag in the fridge, but he knows it's there and he apparently learned that he's not allowed to take it himself because he always begs me for more, but he really hasn't touched it the last few days. You see, even he can learn these things. It's still isn't really safe to keep it in his reach, though.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics