Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What can this be? I'm going nuts!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 8:15 am
DS, almost a year, has had diarrhea for almost 2 weeks now. I've been to the doctor time after time after time - at first he said it must be a virus, after a week he said maybe it's just teething. Now we've gotten to the point where he said he just doesn't know what it it. We did a stool culture and it came back negative, so there's no bacteria involved.

Basically I'm spending all day and night changing him. He has a diaper rash that makes him scream every time his diaper isn't perfectly clean (think raw skin, bleeding, and it won't go away because he keeps making more dirty diapers!). I'm basically only giving him formula because he's gotten dehydrated previously and I don't want that to happen again. To be very graphic - when I give him apple sauce to eat, I basically change a diaper full of apple sauce a few minutes later - it looks like apple sauce. YUCK!

He's not throwing up, he doesn't have fever. When he's not making dirty diapers and there's enough cream on him that his rash doesn't bother him too much, and he's on Motrin, he's very happy. The rest of the time... he isn't.

Does anyone have any ideas what this can be or what I can do for ds?
Israeli imamothers - do you have any doctors you think might be able to help? I'm on Meuhedet, but would go private if I could just stop this situation - it's making everyone here miserable!!!

(Amother cuz I've spoken about this with a bunch of people already...)

anonymrs

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 8:25 am
How's his weight gain in general? Also, is he eating things like crackers, bread, etc?

cc

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 8:29 am
Is the formula from milk? Could he be lactose intolerant? I would keep his diaper off after the next change to air his bottom out.
Good luck! Hope you find something out.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 8:30 am
He is on the small side. I don't think he's been losing much weight, so I'm not worried about that.

Until this happened, I've been giving him banana, yogurt, apple sauce, soups mixed with rice cereal, crackers, rice cakes, bread, and - if he gets hungry when we're eating - whatever we're eating at that meal. He ate everything nicely, but I'm afraid to feed him now cuz it all just goes straight out. (I was feeding him and he made a dirty diaper while he was still in the high chair!)

amother

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 8:34 am
When he was little - think up to 6 months - I gave him soy. I switched him to dairy a while ago and he's always been okay with it. I switched him back to soy on Monday, and he was okay for about 10 hours yesterday and I was so excited, but whatever it is - is back again today.

I can't leave off his diaper - he makes a dirty diaper every half hour, and I do not want that stuff all over my house! And also, his rash is raw skin - I think a few layers are burned away by the acid - and I can't let him sit on the floor with such a wound.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 8:35 am
Minimal weight gain and diarrhea are symptoms of celiac disease. Do you know if he was ever tested for that?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 8:40 am
He was never tested, but till now he never had any problems - he has challah (wheat) every shabbos, and is happy as a king with a tea biscuit.

Can Celiac start 'just like that'?

Also, while he is on the small side (25 percentile or so) every time he's weighed he places at the same place on the chart, so they told me there's nothing to worry about. (I'm short, too.)

anonymrs

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 8:44 am
amother wrote:
He was never tested, but till now he never had any problems - he has challah (wheat) every shabbos, and is happy as a king with a tea biscuit.

Can Celiac start 'just like that'?

Also, while he is on the small side (25 percentile or so) every time he's weighed he places at the same place on the chart, so they told me there's nothing to worry about. (I'm short, too.)

Yes, celiac can start just like that. But if he's gaining at a steady pace then it might not be that. Why don't you ask your pedi? Can't hurt to test him for it. It's a blood test.

MGmom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 9:03 am
I would rub some tests and have him seen by a GI, they would be able to give you more of a lead..

Re: the rash, my kid had that too... I placed a few 'blue chok' (sp?) In her crib and let her nap w/o a diaper and put aquaphor/eucerin on the infected area, those chok were quite a mess but she healed n less than 2 days, and twas a BAD one... Similar to what u r describing...

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 9:08 am
The doctor is closed until next Sunday - I'll talk to him about a celiac test then.

What do you mean 'rub some tests'?
And I'd take him to a GI but there are no appointments here available for about a month and we're flying back to NY in 2 weeks for Pesach. Anyone know a good Pediatric GI in NY that takes Empire BCBS?

How old was your kid when you let her sleep without a diaper? Cuz he moves around quite a bit, so I'm afraid he'll get his 'mess' everywhere!

cinnamon

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 12:30 pm
Don't really have any advice, just wanted to tell you that the same thing happened with my oldest when she was a little over a year. it took about four weeks to pass and we never learnt what caused it.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 12:36 pm
Similar thing happened to DS when we started him on cows milk. it took about 2 weeks to pass even after we stopped the milk.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 12:38 pm
amother wrote:
Similar thing happened to DS when we started him on cows milk. it took about 2 weeks to pass even after we stopped the milk.

cow's milk takes 10-14 days to get out of the system.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 12:49 pm
Oh, no!! Cinnamon, you just made me want to cry! I can't handle this for another two weeks. I've been telling myself it's a virus, it can't last more than a week. Okay, maybe two weeks. But a MONTH?!?!?!

shanie5

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 11:16 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Minimal weight gain and diarrhea are symptoms of celiac disease. Do you know if he was ever tested for that?

This was my thought too.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 11:36 pm
sounds like the symptoms of lactose intolerance. my husband has it, and my son had that as a baby (outgrew it at about age 2.5 bh) Diarrhea and stomach pain are/were the only symptoms.
my gastro told me that if a child is sensitive to dairy, its probable that he is sensitive to soy as well. if you really want to try to eliminate that possibility, give him Rice Dream instead.
Hatzlacha!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 11:56 pm
Hug
Do not give dairy formula for now. Give pedialite. And lots of acidophilus!
Only serve bananas, grated apple let to sit for 15 minutes until it turns brown, toast, and white rice cooked in 7x the amount of water until very starchy. Please stay away from everything else including apple sauce for now.
Seal diaper cream in with corn starch.
May this pass very soon!
Hug

Marigold

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 1:41 am
ra_mom wrote:
Hug
Do not give dairy formula for now. Give pedialite. And lots of acidophilus!
Only serve bananas, grated apple let to sit for 15 minutes until it turns brown, toast, and white rice cooked in 7x the amount of water until very starchy. Please stay away from everything else including apple sauce for now.
Seal diaper cream in with corn starch.
May this pass very soon!
Hug

This is great advice !

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 6:46 am
What's the corn starch for?

I've been thinking about all this advice - it really is possible that it's an allergy of some sort - the day after we switched him back to soy he was better, and so I gave him a bread stick to eat, and then he got bad again. Now he's back to a formula-only diet, and he's been better (somewhat).

If the diarrhea stops, I think that the diaper rash will be able to go away. Right now I'm using silverol (Israeli version of silvidine) which is really a burn cream, but is working in that it gives him relief when I put it on. The diaper rash creams don't do anything for him!

Is there a test for lactose? I'm going to talk to my pediatrician next week about doing some testing for allergies and stuff.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:
What's the corn starch for?

I've been thinking about all this advice - it really is possible that it's an allergy of some sort - the day after we switched him back to soy he was better, and so I gave him a bread stick to eat, and then he got bad again. Now he's back to a formula-only diet, and he's been better (somewhat).

If the diarrhea stops, I think that the diaper rash will be able to go away. Right now I'm using silverol (Israeli version of silvidine) which is really a burn cream, but is working in that it gives him relief when I put it on. The diaper rash creams don't do anything for him!

Is there a test for lactose? I'm going to talk to my pediatrician next week about doing some testing for allergies and stuff.
Cornstarch seals in the cream, makes it more potent, and helps the rash heal quicker.

Once he shows signs of feeling getter, continue only with the BRAT diet (banana, rice, apple, toast) for another 2 days to make sure he is truly better before trying other foods.

Of course when the diarrhea stops the diaper rash will get better but in the meantime...

I don't think there is a test for lactose, it's usually trial and error, but I could be wrong.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics