Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Matisyahu shows off his new bleached blond hair
1  2  Next

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 4:24 pm
http://jewishnews.sharepoint.c......aspx

Matisyahu, the ultra-Orthodox US Jewish rapper with bushy beard and sidelocks who shocked fans by shaving it all off last year, has surfaced in Jerusalem with a new bottle-blonde hairdo.

The 32-year-old singer, known for performing his unique blend of Jewish songs with hip hop and reggae beats, has long been known for appearing on stage in the traditional black suit and trademark facial hair of Hassidic Jews.

In December, he shocked fans with a new, clean-shaven image in a posting on Twitter.

And now, the former hirsute Hassid is now sporting an altogether new image, with bleached blonde

hair and an almost unrecognisable casual look, sporting combat pants, a brown leather jacket and open-toed army boots, an AFP correspondent said.

The singer, who arrived on Tuesday for a three-day visit to shoot a new music video, was filming on Thursday in the Old City's main tourist market, a member of his entourage told AFP.

They had earlier spent time filming in Zedekiah's Cave, an underground quarry that dates back more than 2,000 years and stretches under the Old City walls in an area between Damascus Gate and Herod's Gate.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 4:58 pm
Oy. I hope he finds himself sooner rather than later. And I wish him well.

Barbara

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 5:42 pm
"I" think he looks great, but open toed army boots? Just say NO.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 5:51 pm
I am really not understanding why this is such a big deal.
Yes, at one point he dressed one way, and now he dresses and looks another way.
Who really cares? I juts dont get all of the hype!

Isramom8

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 5:54 pm
One of my teenage sons is upset by all this, but it gives us the opportunity to talk about how this man is just a guy, and not worth following like a gadol or something.

Barbara

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 6:27 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I am really not understanding why this is such a big deal.
Yes, at one point he dressed one way, and now he dresses and looks another way.
Who really cares? I juts dont get all of the hype!

*I* care. Just read that article. "...open-toed army boots." OPEN TOED ARMY BOOTS! This is a crime punishable by execution by the Fashion Police. And what if, heaven forbid, it becomes fashionable. We must stop this abomination!

ETA:

Ladies. Do we want our sons wearing these? Just so no to Matisyahu!

imamiri

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 7:18 pm
I like the hair!

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 9:17 pm
I am in total agreement with Barbara...those shoes are an abomination!! They should be burned immediately, all of them!!
I couldn't even imagine what they looked like either, they are even more hideous that I could picture.

mama-star

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 9:35 pm
rainbow dash, the website you linked to is salacious and disgusting

MamaBear

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 9:36 pm
As someone who has struggled with tsnius and hair covering and hashkafah in general over the yrs, I assure you it often comes with quite a bit of thought and struggle and unrest. So if he's going through a rough time, spare him the judgement.

But I do think we can judge those shoes from a fashion perspective - truly hideous if that's similar to what he's been sporting...

ewa-jo

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 9:59 pm
Maybe it's a costume for his video.

Does anyone who knows him or his family post on imamother and can tell us what he wears when he's dropping off his kids at school or taking his wife out for dinner?

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 12:03 am
my husband once bleached his hair platinum blonde and shortly thereafter it fell out and he became one of the baldest men I know.

hair is just hair. now you have it, now you don't. whats the big frickin deal other than the gawbarful army boots?

groisamomma

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 12:24 am
mama-star wrote:
rainbow dash, the website you linked to is salacious and disgusting

I agree:(

fiddle

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 1:06 am
I think it's amazing how different he looks without the whole Hasidic getup. He just looks like a regular person. Who cares? But the boots WOW! I must say they are horrendous.

Arcy

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 2:01 am
Barbara wrote:

*I* care. Just read that article. "...open-toed army boots." OPEN TOED ARMY BOOTS! This is a crime punishable by execution by the Fashion Police. And what if, heaven forbid, it becomes fashionable. We must stop this abomination!

ETA:

Ladies. Do we want our sons wearing these? Just so no to Matisyahu!

don't worry , Lady GAGA will be wearing those next week, and we'll have to worry a/b our girls wearing them too...

chani8

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 3:36 am
Go Matisyahu, go!

But blond hair and those boot things?! Oookaay. He's obviously having fun. Maybe he just likes to be outrageous. His chassidishe garb was also outrageous when combined with his rap/reggae style.

I wonder what pushed him OTD and what his wife thinks about this.

hadasa

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 5:37 am
Is he OTD? I was under the impression that he is still Shomer Mitzvos.

hadasa

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 5:39 am
Is he OTD? I was under the impression that he is still Shomer Mitzvos.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 6:13 am
chani8 wrote:
Go Matisyahu, go!

But blond hair and those boot things?! Oookaay. He's obviously having fun. Maybe he just likes to be outrageous. His chassidishe garb was also outrageous when combined with his rap/reggae style.

I wonder what pushed him OTD and what his wife thinks about this.

And I wonder what would make you say "Go Matisyahu go!" if you are under the impression that he is OTD...

DrMom

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 6:44 am
It must be such an upheaval to undergo an abrupt change in hashkafa. Also for your family and friends.

So much more so for someone in the public eye.

I hope he finds his place soon.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics