Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Matisyahu shows off his new bleached blond hair
Previous  1  2

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 6:47 am
He should fire his stylist.
Anyone singing Reggai needs longer hair and NOT blonde.
Eww
Maybe he's just playing "for the other team">>!?

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 7:10 am
Sorry, but based on the very limited info given in the 'article', my first thought was... I hope he has where (and the time in his busy schedule) to hear Megillah, have Seudah and give out Mishoach Manot....

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 7:13 am
I honestly didn't know that boys older than, say, 20 did the dyeing their hair yellow thing. To me it's just an indication of someone searching for themselves, though I could be wrong.

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 7:17 am
Something tells me listening to megillah reading may not be high on his priority list.

But he could use a new stylist!

He's a funny guy--the ONLY reason he gained any sort of recognition was BECAUSE he wore Hassidic garb.

This made him unique.

NOW he looks like everyone else. He shaved his beard but he is no Brad Pitt.

There are a lot of brilliant talented people out there.

Now poor Matis doesn't stand out--he looks like every other musician at Grand Central Station waiting with an open guitar case for a few dollars.

ValleyMom

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 7:20 am
Most adult men in the entertainment industry do NOT make radical changes like that.

Look at Justin Beiber--he got a haircut and girls all over the world from ages 7 - 17 have been mournign his lost locks.

Dying hair blonde is very 80's

yaelinIN

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 8:47 am
I saw him (at shul) in Hawaii this summer when he came to sing there and he was getting VERY grey, so maybe this is a way to cover up the grey?

chani8

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 8:54 am
ChossidMom wrote:
chani8 wrote:
Go Matisyahu, go!

But blond hair and those boot things?! Oookaay. He's obviously having fun. Maybe he just likes to be outrageous. His chassidishe garb was also outrageous when combined with his rap/reggae style.

I wonder what pushed him OTD and what his wife thinks about this.

And I wonder what would make you say "Go Matisyahu go!" if you are under the impression that he is OTD...

He is only OTD by chassidishe standards, last I heard he is still shomer shabbos, etc. Charedim esp chassidim, consider anyone who is no long charedi, to be OTD, even if they are still shomer shabbos.

Matisyahu's big comment was that he likes his external to match how he feels inside. Maybe he chose blond because he feels lighter and sunnier, and combat boots because he feels like he's had to fight to find his true self which apparently needs to be less restrictive (ie open toes). I'm joking.

Arcy

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 10:17 am
chani8 wrote:

He is only OTD by chassidishe standards, last I heard he is still shomer shabbos, etc. Charedim esp chassidim, consider anyone who is no long charedi, to be OTD, even if they are still shomer shabbos.

Matisyahu's big comment was that he likes his external to match how he feels inside. Maybe he chose blond because he feels lighter and sunnier, and combat boots because he feels like he's had to fight to find his true self which apparently needs to be less restrictive (ie open toes). I'm joking.

and that's why the world has issues... any1 who is shomer Torah and mitzvos, and tries to do the correct thing, is should never be called OTD jsut because he doesn't dress the part.... it's ones neshama that counts, not their garb. (in my humble, outspoken opion)

Debb

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 11:25 am
I dont think one can say hes OTD just because of the way he dresses. Its what he does and keeps that counts. But ditch the blonde...you looked better before!

chavamom

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 12:53 pm
hadasa wrote:
Is he OTD? I was under the impression that he is still Shomer Mitzvos.

No, I don't think he's off any derech except perhaps that of a strict Chabad chossid.

Mommy F.

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 2:30 pm
well, what can I say? At least he's wearing a kippa . . .

faigie

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 3:10 pm
hope his wife is ok ............

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 4:31 pm
Hes off one derech on on another.

People seem to be assuming that this was sudden change, that he just popped on everyone, and that his change of wardrobe means a change of emunah.

How do you know he didnt discuss this with his wife first? speak to a rabbi he feels close with, etc? Most likely it was a conscious decision.....and if this is how he feels he can best connect to HaShem, then it is the RIGHT DERECH for him.

Anything else, and assumptions of not being shomer mitzvah, it causing issues for his wife, losing his way, etc is LASHON HARA

good shabbos all!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 5:16 pm
I hven't seen his wife or kids or even him for a while, but when I did, they all looked regular.

hadasa

Post Sat, Mar 10 2012, 3:04 pm
chavamom wrote:
hadasa wrote:
Is he OTD? I was under the impression that he is still Shomer Mitzvos.

No, I don't think he's off any derech except perhaps that of a strict Chabad chossid.
He stopped identifying as a Chabadnik a long time ago. I think he was associating mostly with Karlin.

I agree that the term "OTD" should be reserved for someone who is no longer Shomer Shabbos. That was the point of my post.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Mar 10 2012, 11:44 pm
FYI, this was posted in a completely public section. Anyone who googles the singer's name can read this.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics