Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Boston/brookline MA Accomodations for shabbbos
1  2  Next

blue eyes

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 12:25 pm
anyone here from MA- Boston or brookline?

Im taking a weekend trip out to MA with DH (no kids) and need accomodations for shabbos. Are there any Hachnosas Orchim or hotels/ apartments that I can stay in?
It needs to be walking distance to a shul with miniyan and pref in a nice area.

Also Any kosher take outs that we can buy shabbos food from?

blue eyes

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 3:09 pm
Bump

amother

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 3:26 pm
Do you want to be near the Young Israel in Brookline (MO) or more rightwing shuls in Brighton? (Chai Adam, Bostoner - Beth Pinchas?) You can do an online search for hotels once you decide that.

ROFEH has apartments but I think they are only for families of hospital patients.

Possibly you can email YI about accommodations and/or meals.

If you want to stay further downtown the college Chabad has meals and there are often tourists and businesspeople joining, just have to let them know.

http://www.chabadboston.org/te.....o.htm

food - the butcherie recently improved its hashgacha
http://www.butcherie.com/

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 4:26 pm
There's a difference between Boston proper and Brookline (it's like Manhattan and Brooklyn, for lack of a better example). There is a few excellent B&Bs in Brookline on Sewall Avenue: http://www.bertraminn.com/ From there, you are max 15 min walking distance to shuls in Brookline.

Also, don't know if you're interested or not, but there's always Harvard Chabad in Cambridge as well. Smile

Both areas are gorgeous...don't know too much of what's in Boston. (I think it's deserted on the weekends, but that's just my opinion.)

So yeah, Brookline & Cambridge...

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 4:27 pm
PS Not exactly relevant to your question, but my icon is the John Harvard statue after a group on the campus placed a tallis around him. Smile

Hope you enjoy your trip up north! Smile

blue eyes

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 5:28 pm
Thanks you guys for the info!
Im planning a small bein hazmanim getaway. Thursday Fri in Boston and surrounding areas. ( didnt do the tourist research yet) and I figured shabbos I'd like to be next to frum ppl and of course we were planning to buy take out food for shabbos. Right wing is prob more my type. Is the bostner Rebbe still in boston?

blue eyes

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 5:30 pm
amother wrote:
Do you want to be near the Young Israel in Brookline (MO) or more rightwing shuls in Brighton? (Chai Adam, Bostoner - Beth Pinchas?) You can do an online search for hotels once you decide that.

ROFEH has apartments but I think they are only for families of hospital patients.

Possibly you can email YI about accommodations and/or meals.

If you want to stay further downtown the college Chabad has meals and there are often tourists and businesspeople joining, just have to let them know.

http://www.chabadboston.org/te.....o.htm

food - the butcherie recently improved its hashgacha
http://www.butcherie.com/

Who is YI?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 5:31 pm
YI is Young Israel. Not sure about who to contact at the other shuls, but YI had a link on their website to email.

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 5:40 pm
Why don't you contact Chabad Harvard or Chabad BU? Despite spring break, perhaps they know of things going on, times of services, etc. Let me know if you want me to PM you any info. I don't know about the Bostoner Rebbe, sorry. Sad Also, if you want suggestions of places to visit, feel free to ask. Smile Oh--for take out Friday:
Harvard Street (I think this intersects with Beacon Street at one end...Bostonians: Help me out here if I'm wrong!) Surprised) All these places are within a two-block radius

- Taam China -- Glatt Kosher Chinese Food
- There's a pizzeria
- There's a Middle Eastern/falafel spot (Remi's?)
- The Butcherie (as someone else mentioned) is the kosher supermarket
- There's a Cholov Yisroel-using bakery there as well, should you want Challah/bagels for Shabbos breakfast/nosh.
- J.P. Licks: Ice cream, Frozen Yogurt, and Parve Ice Cream (made with coconut) and certified by the Va'ad Harbonim (sp?)
- If you need candles to light or forget anything like that, there's the Israel Book Shop.

blue eyes

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 6:21 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
Why don't you contact Chabad Harvard or Chabad BU? Despite spring break, perhaps they know of things going on, times of services, etc. Let me know if you want me to PM you any info. I don't know about the Bostoner Rebbe, sorry. Sad Also, if you want suggestions of places to visit, feel free to ask. Smile Oh--for take out Friday:
Harvard Street (I think this intersects with Beacon Street at one end...Bostonians: Help me out here if I'm wrong!) Surprised) All these places are within a two-block radius

- There's a pizzeria
- There's a Cholov Yisroel-using bakery there as well, should you want Challah/bagels for Shabbos breakfast/nosh.
- J.P. Licks: Ice cream, Frozen Yogurt, and Parve Ice Cream (made with coconut) and certified by the Va'ad Harbonim (sp?)
- If you need candles to light or forget anything like that, there's the Israel Book Shop.

Thanks!! Totally informative!!
All this is in boston or brookline?

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 6:24 pm
This is on Harvard Street in Brookline. (Note: Every town up here has a "Harvard Street.")

amother

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 6:33 pm
I believe the Bostoner Rebbe will be in Sharon, Mass. this coming Shabbos. His shul is (as always) in Brookline/Brighton, on Beacon St.

Maybe consider Sharon for your home base? There's a kosher B&B (Sharon Woods Inn) and lots of hospitable families, and three shuls (Young Israel, another MO shul, and Chabad).

Yocheved84 wrote:

- There's a pizzeria

Rami's Smile

Quote:

just note, not chalav yisrael

Quote:

Chabad in Kenmore Square isn't a bad walk from Harvard St - it's a very casual & lively place for davening and Shabbos meals (make a donation afterwards).

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 6:36 pm
amother wrote:
I believe the Bostoner Rebbe will be in Sharon, Mass. this coming Shabbos. His shul is (as always) in Brookline/Brighton, on Beacon St.

Maybe consider Sharon for your home base? There's a kosher B&B (Sharon Woods Inn) and lots of hospitable families, and three shuls (Young Israel, another MO shul, and Chabad).

Yocheved84 wrote:

- There's a pizzeria

Rami's Smile

Quote:

just note, not chalav yisrael

Quote:

Chabad in Kenmore Square isn't a bad walk from Harvard St - it's a very casual & lively place for davening and Shabbos meals (make a donation afterwards).

The bakery has a lit-up sign advertising CY. But they're not? Wow. How deceptive!! Thanks for letting me know. Thanks!!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 6:38 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:

The bakery has a lit-up sign advertising CY. But they're not? Wow. How deceptive!! Thanks for letting me know. Thanks!!

She meant JP Licks is not chalav yisrael.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 6:43 pm
amother wrote:
Yocheved84 wrote:

She meant JP Licks is not chalav yisrael.

Right - SORRY for the confusion!! I was responding to the last thing in the part I quoted - JP Licks.

blue eyes

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 8:22 pm
I like the brookline area- seems like it has a lot of shuls in one area but the only downside is that there arent really any decent hotel options. Thats why I innitially asked for an apartment or soemthing. The only option I'd consider is- Best Western Terrace inn- since its got a small kitchenette- but its pretty run down.

(I know in most communities ppl have basement studio apts that they rent out to guests- I was hoping we can get something like that.

Any imaothers from Brookline

skcomputer

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 10:33 pm
The Holiday Inn at 1200 Beacon St in Brookline had installed some key only rooms for Shabbos when the were redone about 20 years ago. They may still have them- call to find out. The closest shul is Young Israel, but the Bostoner Rebbes is walkable (as is BU and Kenmore Sq). No matter what, the Young Israel web site is an excellent resource for tourists.

The Butcherie recently upgraded their Hashgacha and there is also a store called Grape Leaves on Harvard St in Brookline which has take out food.

hila

Post Sun, Mar 11 2012, 10:44 pm
We stayed at Sharon Woods Inn - outside Boston, but very convenient for it. And it was lovely - run by the Yarmush family - it is a B and B.

There are shuls nearby, and a kosher supermarket (my dh did our shoping there)

It is very countryfied and beatiful for walks.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 4:34 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
There's a difference between Boston proper and Brookline (it's like Manhattan and Brooklyn, for lack of a better example). There is a few excellent B&Bs in Brookline on Sewall Avenue: http://www.bertraminn.com/ From there, you are max 15 min walking distance to shuls in Brookline.

Also, don't know if you're interested or not, but there's always Harvard Chabad in Cambridge as well. Smile

Both areas are gorgeous...don't know too much of what's in Boston. (I think it's deserted on the weekends, but that's just my opinion.)

So yeah, Brookline & Cambridge...

I'll second the Betram Inn (and the Sewall Inn around the corner, same ownership) - my parents have stayed at both properties and they're charming and comfortable and very feasible walking distance to the heart of Brookline (Harvard Ave). Plus, with the beautiful weather we're meant to be having all week, you'd be in luck!

Sugar plum

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 5:15 pm
My husband and I also stated in sharon at the b and b. Very nice family and we didn't have to worry about food!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics