Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
E-mail spammed-what to do?

shanie5

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 3:37 pm
I got an email from a friend that was obviously not from her. I told her about it and she asked me what she should do. I have no idea-short of changing her email address.

Is there s/t she can do to stop whoever it is from taking over her email address?

iluvy

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 3:41 pm
Change her password.

Debb

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 3:43 pm
happened to me too. All she needs to do is change her password

Depressed

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 4:03 pm
Change the password to something at least 6 characters, capitals, smalls and alphanumerics.

Other than that switch to Gmail or Hushmail. They are more secure then the others.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 4:49 pm
What the others said. If she doesn't want to do that, you should at least insist she delete you from her address book.

I've known some cases where even changing the password numerous times didn't help and the only solution was to close the email account. That's pretty rare though.

shirtsandskirts

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:31 pm
Depressed wrote:
Change the password to something at least 6 characters, capitals, smalls and alphanumerics.

Other than that switch to Gmail or Hushmail. They are more secure then the others.

Gmail is more secure but not foolproof (mine was just hacked)- as OOTBubby said make sure you have a very good password.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:08 pm
BIL had it once. Tell her to send an email to all her contacts saying that her email was hacked and she didn't send those emails....

sky

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:20 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
What the others said. If she doesn't want to do that, you should at least insist she delete you from her address book.

I've known some cases where even changing the password numerous times didn't help and the only solution was to close the email account. That's pretty rare though.

If changing the password doesn't work delete your contact list before moving to a new account so they don't keep on getting spammed.

abmom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:32 pm
She should change her password quick before the hacker changes it! My husbands twitter account was hacked and the password was changed. He couldn't even log into his account.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:32 pm
sky wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

If changing the password doesn't work delete your contact list before moving to a new account so they don't keep on getting spammed.

If you keep getting spammed by a certain email address (and know you don't need to receive any real mail from it), you can usually block it your ISP level, marking it as a spam sender.

shanie5

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 10:29 pm
Thank you all. I have passed on the info.

leomom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 10:46 pm
She should also check her autoresponder - often the hacker gets into the e-mail account and then actually pastes a message there, which then automatically spams anyone who sends an e-mail to the person's address! Sneaky and so obnoxious. Also very creepy when you go into your account preferences and see someone else's "handiwork" sitting there. (Yes, it happened to me!)

If that turns out to be the problem, there's no need to close the account.

And of course, yes, change the password.

shanie5

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 3:48 pm
She emailed me today to let me know that yahoo sent her an email saying her account was compromised and to change her password. Which she did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics