Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Is it an Averia?
Previous  1  2  3

celestial

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 2:41 pm
StrongIma wrote:
celestial wrote:
I think we are talking about different kinds of minhagim (are we trying to address all minhagim here?)
I'm specifically not discussing a Minhag Yisrael.

My objection to the article on minhagim is that they are not chosen individually. A present takes on meaning when we choose it because we know the person we're giving it to and it is representative of our personal relationship.
methinks this thread was originally about an asheknazi eating kitniyos on pesach, if it's an aveira, no?

Well, that was one of the examples. Upshernish was another one. And now we're all over the place, talking all kinds of minhagim. I am primarily interested NOT in minhag yisrael. But if the OP is upset it is going off her original intention for the topic, I can be quiet.

Faigy86

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 2:45 pm
Besides for defining what a minhag is, which is what some have tried to do, the other thing that needs a definition is Aveira.
What is an Aveira? To the best of my knowledge, a person commits an 'aveira' when they are 'over on' or transgress the ratzon Hashem. Being as that is so broad, your question really is - is it a good/bad/ok/mediocre thing to disregard a minhag. Will I lose brownie points? Get a punishment? Just meet with G-d's disaproval? I don't know if anyone can answer that. Is it the proper thing to uphold a proper minhag that has a mesora? I think yes, but noone can really answer the level of wrongdoing it would be to not uphold it.

StrongIma

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 2:54 pm
celestial wrote:
StrongIma wrote:
celestial wrote:
I think we are talking about different kinds of minhagim (are we trying to address all minhagim here?)
I'm specifically not discussing a Minhag Yisrael.

My objection to the article on minhagim is that they are not chosen individually. A present takes on meaning when we choose it because we know the person we're giving it to and it is representative of our personal relationship.
methinks this thread was originally about an asheknazi eating kitniyos on pesach, if it's an aveira, no?

Well, that was one of the examples. Upshernish was another one. And now we're all over the place, talking all kinds of minhagim. I am primarily interested NOT in minhag yisrael. But if the OP is upset it is going off her original intention for the topic, I can be quiet.
well, kitniyos is definitely not in the same ball park as an Upshernish - kitniyos is gezeirat chachamim which would make it an aviero for an ashkenzi to ignore, whereas Upshernish is a custom that originated with the Ari (actually, it probably dates back earlier but I think his son's was the first documented) and wasn't decreed on anyone to follow. it's strongly advised to follow your own family's customs ("minhag avoseinu b'yadienu") whether or not to follow this one, but I don't know that ignoring it would qualify as an aviero.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics