Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
LL making me move out 4 a day cuz of HER sec 8 inspection?!?
Previous  1  2  3

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 1:42 am
OP, maybe you might want to speak with a tenants rights lawyer. See if the LL might have to refund all your rent for an illegal contract. I rented a place on Queens once. The LL had a flood in the basement and would not clean it. I put my rent in escrow until we could be heard which was the better part of a year. The judge noticed an illegal barricade around the boiler. It turns out the LL was renting illegally to me. The judge refunded my entire rent since the day I moved in. Additionally, we signed a stip that I got a good amount to move plus the cost of some stuff in the basement.

You can call section 8 to find out your rights .

mamaleh

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 1:54 am
Quote:
OP here, ** we are no longer under contract, cuz we only signed for one year, we never re-signed anything...

Most leases have an automatic renewal. You do not need to re-sign every year and the assumption is the lease will continue. The renewal date is usually when any changes are made (think rent increases or changes in responsibility) and while those should be put in writing, my experience (at least in the frum world) is that most of the time they are not.

grace413

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 6:15 am
amother wrote:
grace413 wrote:
Let's get this straight: You have knowingly been living in a place ILLEGALLY for years. In order to continue this ILLEGAL arrangement you need to leave the apartment for a few hours once a year.

And you expect to be compensated for this?

Wow, just wow.

LOL, you sound like my cousin... she often misses the point of the entire thing, (or thinks she gets what's goin on, but really is way off), disagrees with almost everybody, (or rather can ONLY see things from her point of view) and ends everything with "wow, just wow"... I wonder if ur my cousin...

Shooting the messenger is a time honored tradition of trying to ignore what you don't want to hear. It does not change the facts.

You need a reality check. The fact that apartments are hard to find, that you found it too difficult to move a month after you had a baby, that you have a million and one excuses does not change the fact that you are engaging in an illegal activity one iota.

And no, I'm not your cousin.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:18 am
sorry to hear ur not my cousin... I love her dearly, but just can't deal w/ her inabiity to see from other's point of view.

Arcy

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:22 am
I'd say it's time to move.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:24 am
grace413 wrote:
amother wrote:
grace413 wrote:
Let's get this straight: You have knowingly been living in a place ILLEGALLY for years. In order to continue this ILLEGAL arrangement you need to leave the apartment for a few hours once a year.

And you expect to be compensated for this?

Wow, just wow.

LOL, you sound like my cousin... she often misses the point of the entire thing, (or thinks she gets what's goin on, but really is way off), disagrees with almost everybody, (or rather can ONLY see things from her point of view) and ends everything with "wow, just wow"... I wonder if ur my cousin...

Shooting the messenger is a time honored tradition of trying to ignore what you don't want to hear. It does not change the facts.

You need a reality check. The fact that apartments are hard to find, that you found it too difficult to move a month after you had a baby, that you have a million and one excuses does not change the fact that you are engaging in an illegal activity one iota.

And no, I'm not your cousin.

op here, I'm not ur cousin either. think amothers should get labels, it's much eayser not to confuse us all that way. ever read an intamacy post w/ 50 different amothers?

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:45 am
I don't think you should be compensated for participating in fraud.

Just move.

You are parents, why would you want to raise your children in a home that is based on fraudelant practices.

The neighborhood isn't terrific either from what you described--I just don't understand the post at all.

suzyq

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 11:04 am
I am actually surprised that you expect to be compensated in order to continue living in this arrangement that you have very clearly stated is preferable to anything else you can find. Somehow, for at least 3 years, you haven't managed to find any better place to live, yet you complain about this one-day, couple hour inconvenience that allows you to continue living there. The alternative to you doing this is that you HAVE to move, which you have stated is too difficult, and to which, my guess is, would be much more hassle than moving out for a few hours. Doesn't really sound like you have any reason to complain.

Having said all that, you ARE being complicit in something illegal. If you're not ok with that, then move. If you are, deal with everything that comes along with it.

redt85

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 2:23 pm
Though this is not "the right thing" to do. If you do not pay rent, there is nothing they can do about it. What would they say in court? You can get them in major trouble. If you feel you should be compensated for a month's rent I do not see why you shouldn't go for it.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 23 2012, 5:10 pm
Squishy that is so not nice to do. You actually lived there. You didnt feel bad?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics