Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Weberman update
1  2  3  Next

eatingbagels

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 11:30 pm
http://www.nydailynews.com/new.....17348

A teenager accused a prominent Hasidic leader of raping her only after she learned he persuaded her father to secretly record her having relations with a boyfriend, defense lawyers argued Wednesday.
The explosive allegation was made in Brooklyn Supreme Court as the trial date for the Satmar leader, Nechemya Weberman, 53, was set for the end of October.
"There is a motive of revenge," defense lawyer George Farkas said when asking to introduce the relations tape evidence at trial.
"I haven't seen the video, but I heard it's very explicit," a source said.
Prosecutors acknowledged the tape was shown to them and that the case against the boyfriend was eventually dropped. They note that Weberman accompanied the father to the district attorney's office in 2010 to make an allegation of statutory rape.
But they argued the decision of the alleged victim, now 17, to accuse Weberman of molesting her at age 12 came after she heard that he molested others.
"We would strongly oppose to bringing in the complainant's other s-xual activities," said prosecutor Anthea Bruffee, citing the stringent rape shield law, which generally precludes evidence on victims' s-xual conduct.
"You have a high hurdle to leap over," Justice John Ingram told Farkas.
The judge will rule in late August on whether to make an exception to the shield law and allow the jury to hear about the relations tape.
He will also issue a decision on prosecutors' requests to bring other witnesses who claimed Weberman abused them - even though no other charges have been filed against him - and to introduce a Hasidic cultural expert as a witness.
The Williamsburg religious leader was charged in February 2011 with forcing relations acts on the young girl when he served as her counsel after she was deemed unrighteous.
The high-profile case has already seen numerous twists and turns. Four Hasidic men were charged last month with intimidating the accuser and her boyfriend and trying to offer them a $500,000 bribe.
The current beau, who also organized a recent protest against a fund-raiser for Weberman's legal fees, is not the one who was caught on tape with her, sources said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new.....VtkBn

So Weberman's defense is that the victim was trying to take revenge on him because he encouraged her father to create child p0rnography with her as the subject? Is this really a wise defense tactic?

crystal

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 12:00 am
I hate the way all chassidim are referred to as Rabbis in the media

eatingbagels

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 1:29 am
crystal wrote:
I hate the way all chassidim are referred to as Rabbis in the media

Where are they referring to him as rabbi? And doesn't he call himself "rabbi" or "rebbe"?

StrongIma

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 2:24 am
he probably does have semicha, after all - most frum guys do. Rolling Eyes

ora_43

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 3:55 am
eatingbagels wrote:
So Weberman's defense is that the victim was trying to take revenge on him because he encouraged her father to create child p0rnography with her as the subject? Is this really a wise defense tactic?

Recording a s-x act in order to charge someone with statutory rape isn't exactly creating [filth]. At least not morally. If her father was trying to prevent her from being exploited, that's the opposite of [filth].

I don't know how effective it would be as a defense tactic. Especially since it sounds like he was doing it after his alleged attacks on her.

sarahd

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 4:54 am
StrongIma wrote:

Really? Most frum guys I know do not have semicha.

joy613

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 8:49 am
ora_43 wrote:
eatingbagels wrote:

Recording a s-x act in order to charge someone with statutory rape isn't exactly creating [filth]. At least not morally. If her father was trying to prevent her from being exploited, that's the opposite of [filth].

I don't know how effective it would be as a defense tactic. Especially since it sounds like he was doing it after his alleged attacks on her.

Ora, I think you misunderstood. The article is written really unclearly. The father videotaped his daughter having relations with her boyfriend. And this was encouraged by Weberman.

Though I still wouldn't call it child [filth]. She was 17.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 9:52 am
Right, Weberman encouraged a father to record his daughter having relations in order to try to get her boyfriend arrested for statutory rape.

If I understood this correctly, it happened in 2010 (that's when they went to the prosecutor).

She is now 17. She would have been 15 then.

rosehill

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 10:29 am
Was the boyfriend in the tape Jewish?
Where was the concern for *mesira* then?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 10:56 am
sarahd wrote:
StrongIma wrote:

this.

mirror

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:02 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Right, Weberman encouraged a father to record his daughter having relations in order to try to get her boyfriend arrested for statutory rape.

If I understood this correctly, it happened in 2010 (that's when they went to the prosecutor).

She is now 17. She would have been 15 then.

That's a very poor defense on Weberman's part. Basically, he is saying "I have no response to the charges."

mommyla

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 1:36 pm
Ruchel wrote:
sarahd wrote:
StrongIma wrote:

this.

Sarcasm! In Lakewood, at least, all mail is addressed to "Rabbi & Mrs." Drives me crazy.

black sheep

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 1:41 pm
mommyla wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
sarahd wrote:
StrongIma wrote:

this.

Sarcasm! In Lakewood, at least, all mail is addressed to "Rabbi & Mrs." Drives me crazy.

I know! for once I'd like to see a letter addressed to "Mr. and Rabbi." some lakewood women know how to learn too, ya know!

black sheep

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 1:48 pm
ora_43 wrote:
eatingbagels wrote:

um, okay. how would recording her help her from being exploited? and do you think a father who would willingly present the public (because you know if it is handed over to court it will make itself public) a video of his daughter in a compromising situation, is trying to prevent her from being exploited?

and as far as the defense, I thought weberman had some good valid proof of his innocence. but his defense is to try to prove how promiscuous his victim is?!? isn't that one of the trademark things abusers use as a deflector of their actions? "don't focus on how perverted I am, look at how promiscuous she is!"

EmesOrNT

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 2:22 pm
In another thread I mentioned she was having sxx with her older boyfriend and everyone jumped down my throat. Apologies, anyone?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 2:30 pm
mommyla wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
sarahd wrote:
StrongIma wrote:

this.

I know rabbis who want to be called Mr or moreh, out of modesty.

Zehava

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 2:31 pm
black sheep wrote:
ora_43 wrote:
eatingbagels wrote:

um, okay. how would recording her help her from being exploited? and do you think a father who would willingly present the public (because you know if it is handed over to court it will make itself public) a video of his daughter in a compromising situation, is trying to prevent her from being exploited?

and as far as the defense, I thought weberman had some good valid proof of his innocence. but his defense is to try to prove how promiscuous his victim is?!? isn't that one of the trademark things abusers use as a deflector of their actions? "don't focus on how perverted I am, look at how promiscuous she is!"

hes trying to prove that shes making this up in order to take revenge on him for convincing her father to do the recording

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 3:36 pm
Zehava wrote:
black sheep wrote:
ora_43 wrote:
eatingbagels wrote:

I don't know how effective it would be as a defense tactic. Especially since it sounds like he Ooowas doing it after his alleged attacks on her.

hes trying to prove that shes making this up in order to take revenge on him for convincing her father to do the recording

It is a motive which could cause reasonable doubt.

eatingbagels

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 4:45 pm
EmesOrNT wrote:
In another thread I mentioned she was having sxx with her older boyfriend and everyone jumped down my throat. Apologies, anyone?

I don't remember jumping down your throat but I hope I did.
WHAT THE FLIP DOES IT MATTER IF SHE WAS HAVING S∈x with an older boyfriend? She is accusing a man who was in a position of power of s∈xually abusing her. If she was actually doing that, I would argue that it's actually not uncommon for s∈x abuse victims to act out s∈xually.

And Ora- I don't believe the law makes a distinction between between videotaping a child having s∈x for "altruistic" reasons and videotaping a child having s∈x to get off. Either way, you are VIDEOTAPING A CHILD HAVING S∈X. As another individual pointed out, if this happened a couple of years ago, she was likely around 15. I am shocked Weberman is not being charged with conspiracy to create child [filth] if he is making this public declaration.

eatingbagels

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 4:47 pm
black sheep wrote:
ora_43 wrote:
eatingbagels wrote:

Yes Yes Blame the victim.
To those who say it speaks to her motive, to me it speaks more to a very perverted person who would tell the parent of a child to videotape his child have s∈x. I wonder how many times he watched the tape before they gave it to the prosecution.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics