Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Binah article about a teen with an ipod
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 7:32 pm
Having just finished reading this anonymous article, I want to know if I am the only one that feels like throwing up! This is absolutely disgusting. A teenager is crying about her addiction to her ipod, a gift from her parents, that she is mechallel Shabbos, watching TV and doing all kinds of awful things, almost getting baptized by an internet friend, and begging us to daven for her. In addition, we have got to get all of our kids off the internet, ipods, cell phones, MP3s and everything else.

waiting for all of your intelligent opinions before I cancel my subscription to this trash.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 7:45 pm
Here's my intelligent opinion: how did your subscription last this long?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 7:46 pm
I like to see what they are feeding the unassuming, unquestioning public. Trash!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 7:50 pm
True, it's important to know what we're up against. Not at the cost of your blood pressure, though.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 8:25 pm
I haven't read the article, but I gotta say I always love a good banana story.

(I slipped on a banana peel! So now I'm telling you this for your own good - NO ONE should ever EAT bananas, BUY bananas, SMELL bananas or go anywhere NEAR a banana! That's how dangerous they are!)

I'm disappointed that the internet friend wasn't a boyfriend though. Everyone knows that a story without romance isn't much of a story. LOL

Fox

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 8:36 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

(I slipped on a banana peel! So now I'm telling you this for your own good - NO ONE should ever EAT bananas, BUY bananas, SMELL bananas or go anywhere NEAR a banana! That's how dangerous they are!)

I'm disappointed that the internet friend wasn't a boyfriend though. Everyone knows that a story without romance isn't much of a story. LOL

Thumbs Up

Grapes! Grapes are dangerous, too!

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 9:27 pm
I didn't actually read that article but my impression was that it was a person's individual story shared as a cautionary tale, not a commandment to the reader. I don't see why the forceful objection to that. Why do you have to be "unassuming" or "unquestioning" to be interested in reading about how someone fell for a tempting yetzer hara and had a hard time getting out of it? These things happen to quite a lot of people, so it's not like a bizarre and irrelevant alarmist story. It's an example of a very real struggle that many teenagers are going through. Maybe this will help intelligent grown women to better understand some of the challenges their teenagers may be facing.

I am not planning to disconnect my internet anytime soon but I still do plan to read and possibly enjoy or learn from the article when I get around to my Binah on Shabbos.

Two questions remain:
1. What classifies this as "trash?"
2. Why is OP amother?

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 9:29 pm
I always knew there was a reason I didnt buy jewish magazines

Arcy

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 9:34 pm
don't use pencils, they misspell!!!

don't use credit cards, they put you in debt!!!

don't use irons, they burn ppl!!!

don't eat any animals with bones because it chokes ppl!!!!

don't eat bananas, because they make ppl trip!!!

don't drink milk because it spills!!!

Hashem Yaazor!!!

oh, and never own a gun, cuz it kills...

O-M-F-G!!! time for humans to take some responsibility for their actions!!!

Arcy

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 9:36 pm
IYamWhoIYam wrote:

LOL.... thanks for the laughs :-)

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 9:38 pm
Arcy wrote:
IYamWhoIYam wrote:

LOL.... thanks for the laughs :-)

Dont take this lightly LOL LOL LOL . I am being very serious. I dont buy them because I dont like having someone else's agenda shoved down my throat.

imamiri

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
Having just finished reading this anonymous article, I want to know if I am the only one that feels like throwing up! This is absolutely disgusting. A teenager is crying about her addiction to her ipod, a gift from her parents, that she is mechallel Shabbos, watching TV and doing all kinds of awful things, almost getting baptized by an internet friend, and begging us to daven for her. In addition, we have got to get all of our kids off the internet, ipods, cell phones, MP3s and everything else.

waiting for all of your intelligent opinions before I cancel my subscription to this trash.

We should never leave the house again. In fact, we should build tunnels that connect our homes to our shuls, yeshivot, shops, etc.

Sorry, OP. I am fresh out of tin foil to entertain the silliness and paranoia of Binah articles/Letters to the Editor.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 10:21 pm
What about "Look before you leap" and "a stitch in time saves nine." Is that also meaningless advice?

Am I going to suddenly understand what everyone's making fun of as soon as I actually read the whole story? Because from the title, subtitle, excerpts/blurbs it didn't look so laughable but maybe I'm missing something?

penguin

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 10:34 pm
I don't know, I am pretty anti-extremism, but just take a look at the selection of similar posts below...

Tova

Post Wed, Mar 21 2012, 11:03 pm
I don't know - I found it enlightening and eye opening.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 12:15 am
I am the OP. BH my blood pressure is down with all the laughs, thank you all.
No more bananas for me. Or grapes.

What bothers me most is that if this girl is indeed mechallel Shabbos or watching awful TV shows, she should not be blaming the access her parents gave her. There has got to be a cause, why did this happen?
There are many more girls out there with ipods that are not using them on Shabbos, and they are not going OTD! This article is not believable, not written well, and is just the kind of thing Binah thinks their readers want to read, not something that actually happened to anyone. Instead of printing intelligent articles that let us think creatively, it spoon feeds the public this stupidity.

Amother for various personal reasons.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 12:23 am
Is she blaming them or is she advising parents that with increased awareness they can help prevent their children from slipping into the same hole? I have seen too many troubled teens and I find it absolutely believable that this girl simply succumbed to a compelling temptation - no other cause needed. Yes there are girls with ipods who are not using them on Shabbos, and there are also HUNDREDS of otherwise "frum" boys AND girls who are so hooked that they do use them on Shabbos. To contact each other. Because they know they're not the only ones. It's an epidemic that has already been acknowledged in several MO platforms and I think it's entirely appropriate for Binah to come out with it as well.

The only "various personal reason" I can think of for needing to anonymously bash a magazine article that thousands have read is either because you don't want to admit to being blind to the very real issues that plague our society, or because you don't want to take responsibility for throwing out the "trash."

mamommommy

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 12:45 am
I also did not read the article in question, but it is important to know that certain activities are inherently far more addictive than others. "Internet addiction" is becoming so common that its addition into the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (the bible of classifying mental disorders) is under deliberation.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to warn against this potentially hazardous activity. Addictions are often a common contributing factor to going OTD, so from what's been posted here about the article, it doesn't seem like such a leap in logic, although I'd have to read the article to make a more accurate judgment on that.

Barbara

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 12:48 am
Why does it seem that frum people are always "addicted"

Doesn't anyone take personal responsibility?

"Hey, I like [filth]. Every once in a while, when you're nidda, or busy with the kids, or just because I feel like it, I watch. I'm in control. I made the decision. I can stop. I don't want to."

"I listened to my iPod on Shabbat. I know if assur, but I'm a teen, and sometimes teens make bad decisions. But this was my choice."

I think I'm going to declare myself addicted to lobster tail with drawn butter. Now its not my fault if I eat treyf. Blame the folks in Maine.

chavamom

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 12:56 am
gp2.0 wrote:

That's really it in a nutshell, isn't it? LOL
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children