Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
A sign in shul read- Please shut your cell phone unless.....

amother

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 1:55 pm
A sign in a shul read- Please shut your cell phone unless you are expecting a call from G-d. How can we implement the rule that people that leave their cell phones on in shul, other than Hatzoloh and Drs., should be fined $10.00 every time it goes off during davening (R' Paysach Krohn suggested it)?

JRKmommy

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 2:00 pm
I'm wondering if communal disapproval may be more powerful than a small fine. I wouldn't want someone to feel that they could leave their phone on and think it was okay if they just "paid" $10 if a call came through.

Mevater

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 2:18 pm
JRKmommy wrote:
I'm wondering if communal disapproval may be more powerful than a small fine. I wouldn't want someone to feel that they could leave their phone on and think it was okay if they just "paid" $10 if a call came through.

Wink It certainly would be a deterrent though. How easily do people part with $10.00 if they can help it?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 4:01 pm
I go to many shiurim and simchas and they ask the women to turn off their cell phones. It's only derech eretz to the others....

brooklyn

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 7:43 am
There are plenty of situations where a person may want to leave their cell phones on, even at a simcha or shiur. Parents of small children for example. Even though they have a baby sitter they would want their phones on just in case. There was on more than one occassion when I was out with DH, and yes one time I was at a simcha where the sitter called to say that DD was not feeling well and we rushed home. When my father was in the hospital we kept our cell phones on every place we went. DH had his on in shul as well. There is no reason why people can't shut the ringer off and keep it on vibrate so as not to annoy others.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 8:01 am
I think R' Krohn meant that we shouldn't take away from the sanctity of davening, funerals, weddings, etc. and allow disturbance with the ringing , not to prohibit Cell Phones. When we allow our cell phones to ring at other people's Chupahs, funerals, we are in effect saying my everyday life is more important than your sacrosanct occassions, and are therefore violable.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 10:04 am
Ah. That's something else. I knew a woman whose husband was lo oleinu dying. She still had to live her own life, and even though he was in a care facility,k she had to be home with thekids and take care of things...she even got out to a shiur here and there, but left her cell phone on. It rang once, and the rabbi made a huge deal of it. I was so upset, knwoing the situation, that I couldn't go back to th at shiur anymore. I almost never hear that rabbi speak, I was so incensed..... Anyway, he did pass away and I def learned sensitivity from that!

On the other hand, a young woman comes to a shiur I have at night, and she's constantly texting message, eating, playing with her sheital, and one special time, her husband came with a baby to be nursed (less than 2 weeks old) and he cried and cred (behind the mechitza). All of this was terribly distracting to those of us in the audience.....

Like, I understood how these women wanted and needed to get out....it still didn't mean that we didn't hear the noise of a cell phone - or other distraction - though.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 10:10 am
DH says it drives him crazy when guys are at shacharis & are going "Uh huh, nu nu uh" while davening. So in appropriate! Just put the phone on vibrate so it doesn't bother others, look at the caller ID when it rings & if it's an emergency, go outside!

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 2:09 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Ah. That's something else. I knew a woman whose husband was lo oleinu dying. She still had to live her own life, and even though he was in a care facility,k she had to be home with thekids and take care of things...she even got out to a shiur here and there, but left her cell phone on. It rang once, and the rabbi made a huge deal of it. I was so upset, knwoing the situation, that I couldn't go back to th at shiur anymore. I almost never hear that rabbi speak, I was so incensed..... Anyway, he did pass away and I def learned sensitivity from that!

She too could have had her phone on vibrate. No reason at all to disturb others and the rabbi was justifiably upset (esp. if people were reminded to shut off the phones).

I think people need reminders to shut the phone and sometimes, the phone rings and the person didn't intend on disturbing, just forgot to shut ringer.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 2:16 pm
Do all cell phones have that feature? This was pre 2004 btw.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics