Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Can't find it... could she have swallowed it?!?!?!?!!!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:03 pm
I'm cleaning up, and can't find the top to my water bottle. it's the "eco friendly Poland spring bottle with the thin round cap.

last time I remember seeing it, my 13 month baby was sucking on it. I was so busy with something else, I didn't grab it out of her mouth like I normally do...... (I know, I'm kicking myself now)

but then she was happily playing with her brother on the kitchen floor (they were mopping, and making the floor all wet, I didnt' mind cuz I was cleaning anyway, and at least it was "clean water)

the cap is pretty large, and even though she could fit it in, she usually spits it out... she was behaving totally normal, we even went outside after, and she ate supper happily...

but now I'm stressed out cuz I can't find the cap. it is possible it's under the sofa somehere, or could have been put in a place only a 13 month old knows exists...

but I'm so scared to think......................... would I know if she, chas veshalom swallowed it...

she once swolled a piece of ice accidentally and she was screaming... but that I know melted way long ago and I didn't worry......

can some1 please reassure me.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:05 pm
Just call your ped. They hav 24 hour answering service for questions like these.
Depending on the item, s/he may just tell you it will pass and is not dangerous.

imamiri

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:07 pm
Do what ra_mom said. If you cannot get a hold of anyone at your ped, head for Urgent Care.

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:14 pm
the cap is small and round so if she did swallow it it should pass in her stools ,check her poop Very Happy .
When Yael was 18 months I randomly found a gold hoop in her poop . I then realized she had swallowed one of her earrings Rolling Eyes

She is now earring free ...AND B'H the sharp opening of the hoop did not cause any internal damage .
Zahava is not getting her ears done till she is older. I am too scared to chance it since I got a free one with yael.

*Call the hospital ..you don't want to sit there for an eternity if they don't declare you an emergency.....BTDT and waited 8 hours! Exploding anger

amother

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:17 pm
OP here,
I'm trying to avoid that because she's happily sleeping now. the answering service is not something I want to deal with... they're always very exrreme or super lax. (they once prescribed pills that could NOT be taken due to other conditions.... and turned out the pills were not even needed, B"h)

I was hoping some mothers here can tell me based of experience so I don't spend the whole night worrying.

it's a water bottle cap. (the eco friendly thin kind) it's bigger then her rear end hole so yes I'm stressed....

maybe I should do that prayer for a lost object?

Arcy

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:19 pm
I heard of coins coming out in poop, can the cap come out too?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:24 pm
I couldn't find one of the nuts from my menorah after I finished putting it back together. I spent an hour looking for it, then I hauled dd to Dr. Shanik. He ran the metal detector over her and bingo! It was sitting in her stomach. LOL LOL

Will plastic disintegrate inside her? If not, the cap is actually not that small and I imagine it will be very hard for a baby to pass.

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
OP here,
I'm trying to avoid that because she's happily sleeping now. the answering service is not something I want to deal with... they're always very exrreme or super lax. (they once prescribed pills that could NOT be taken due to other conditions.... and turned out the pills were not even needed, B"h)

I was hoping some mothers here can tell me based of experience so I don't spend the whole night worrying.

it's a water bottle cap. (the eco friendly thin kind) it's bigger then her rear end hole so yes I'm stressed....

HUGS!!!

TMI but once my kid was constipated during pesach and had a #2 the size of a small egg ,she got a small tear and cried horribly during pushing but was otherwise fine B'H Sad
So I'm 99% sure it would exit fine in your DC's case Smile

I was freaked out about the earring but now I can laugh about "finding gold" Tongue Out

Last edited by shlomitsmum on Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
OP here,

Our ped's answering service pages the ped, and s/he (whichever is on call that night) calls back within 15 min. Our regular ped who knows us.

imamiri

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:35 pm
My friend's son swallowed a small lego piece when he was 4. She and her DH had to dig through poop a few days to see if it passed otherwise her ped said they'd have to go to the hospital. Luckily, it passed. I hear poop digging is not a great way to spend the day.

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:36 pm
http://www.babycenter.com/0_sw.....74.bc

imamiri

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:39 pm
shlomitsmum wrote:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_swallowed-object-or-object-stuck-in-windpipe_11274.bc

Babycenter is awesome for many things.

neverbored

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 10:52 pm
I personally think her windpipe is smaller than the bottle cap and at most would have choked on it. I would check her undershirt (could have fallen in) and all her clothing and toys she played with today.. Check the garbage as well and move the couch. Say the prayer for lost objects as well. If all else fails, them I would call the dr. Hatzloche.

abmom

Post Tue, Mar 20 2012, 11:20 pm
shlomitsmum wrote:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_swallowed-object-or-object-stuck-in-windpipe_11274.bc

According to this looks like your baby should be fine. Hatzlacha and keep us posted.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 22 2012, 9:07 pm
OP here, sorry, was busy cleaning and enjoying the outside weather. I found the cap the next night on the counter!! when I was cleaning up. BH, I was so relieved!

I put it in my mouth to see how it felt, and it's way to big for even me to swallow... there is no way it would have come out in her poop, but on the bright side, there is no way it could have gone down her throat undetected by me :-)

thanks every1 for your help!! and yes baby center is the best!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics