Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What kind of oil is kosher l'pesach?

joy613

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:46 pm
Do most people hold that you can't eat cottonseed oil on pesach? That it's kitnios? (I guess this question refers only to ashkenazim then).
In E"Y the authorities do hold that way. But what about in the US? Does anyone in the US not eat cottonseed oil due to kitnios?

If so, then what kind of oil do you use? And what can you say about the tastes, health, etc of them?

thanks!

sarahd

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:52 pm
We use walnut or hazelnut oil. Don't know about the health benefîts but they must surely outweigh those of shmaltz, which is what we used to use.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 6:27 pm
In the US the most common KLP oil is cottonseed oil. Some bottles are just labeled vegetable oil, but if you look at the ingredients they contain cottonseed oil. This oil is very heavy and gross.

There is also safflower oil (which I'm using in general cooking like kugels and for frying), hazelnut oil (I'm using for baked goods) and olive oil (I'm using extra light for sauteeing veggies and for salads).

There is also walnut oil which can have a bitter taste.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 8:24 pm
I was told that cottonseed oil is fine if it has a heimish KLP hechsher. (Ashkenazic American.)

I use extra light olive oil in almost everything, including baking (no olive oil taste), and use cottonseed oil for deep frying.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 8:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I was told that cottonseed oil is fine if it has a heimish KLP hechsher. (Ashkenazic American.)

I use extra light olive oil in almost everything, including baking (no olive oil taste), and use cottonseed oil for deep frying.

Cottonseed is fine as far as Pesach goes for Americans, it just a gross heavy consistency.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 8:27 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Cottonseed is fine as far as Pesach goes for Americans, it just a gross heavy consistency.
Yup, I know. That's why I only buy one bottle and use it for the one time a year (on Pesach) that I deep fry french fries. Then I throw it out. Smile

chanahlady

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 10:23 pm
My dietician MIL told me that cottonseed is not as regulated as other oils because cotton is not a food product -- so plenty o'pesticides etc. in this stuff. Stick to safflower and olive.

slushiemom

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 3:20 am
The Rav of my shul holds that Canola is fine...

smilethere

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 5:04 am
Here they have walnut, olive and hazelnut, which is pretty new, and most people were pleased with.

I use shmaltz!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 11:07 am
slushiemom wrote:

I've never seen before this anyone who didn't hold that canola is kitniyos. I recently read a very nice explanation of it's origins and why it is clearly kitniyos. Is there Canola oil with a Pesach hechsher?

MGmom

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 11:18 am
We used to use the walnit but it wasnt really tasty in the foods so we use olive oil which is way more $$ but way lighter n tastier.

cm

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 11:51 am
KLP olive oil is easy to find, and versatile. I think I read that any extra-virgin olive oil is fine to use, but I don't know the details.

I haven't heard of canola oil used on Pesach, but I can't see why not. A version of the rapeseed plant was developed for oil production in Canada in the 1980's (hence the name can-ola). Rapeseed oil was not used for food use before then. Certainly it has no "history" in the old country as kitniyot.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 1:40 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
slushiemom wrote:

I've never seen before this anyone who didn't hold that canola is kitniyos. I recently read a very nice explanation of it's origins and why it is clearly kitniyos. Is there Canola oil with a Pesach hechsher?

Our Rav (askanazi, charadi, Israeli American) holds it is NOT kitniot. He has researched it extensively and gave me a whole explanation last year as to why it is fine. He did tell us if we used canola oil we should tell our guests before hand because (in his words) "Rabiam in EY havent' for the most part really looked into it, and therefore by "default" are considering it kitniot"

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 1:43 pm
I understand some are indicating that their rabbonim hold that canola oil is not kitniyos.

This article (see page 6 of it) cRc Pesach FAQs explains why most hold that it is kitniyos (in America).

lst

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 2:09 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I understand some are indicating that their rabbonim hold that canola oil is not kitniyos.

This article (see page 6 of it) cRc Pesach FAQs explains why most hold that it is kitniyos (in America).

Thank you for that link.
Here is my emailed question to the CRC that I just sent in to them... (I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, I only started using canola oil once I moved to E"Y)

"I just read in your Pesach consumer question and answers pamphlet about canola oil.
The reason you stated as proof that canola oil is kitniyot left me with some questions. Firstly, the Maharsham lived a long time after the minhag of no kitniyot was established. Therefore, using proof the rapeseed oil was available in Europe during his time, is not really a valid proof that is was part of the minhag of kitniyot. Secondly, you stated the the oil, before 20 years ago, was not edible. So, that being the case, in what context exactly was the Maharsham prohibiting its use, as the prohibition of kitniyot extends only to eating, not owning or using?"

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 2:12 pm
lst wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Thank you for that link.
Here is my emailed question to the CRC that I just sent in to them... (I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, I only started using canola oil once I moved to E"Y)

"I just read in your Pesach consumer question and answers pamphlet about canola oil.
The reason you stated as proof that canola oil is kitniyot left me with some questions. Firstly, the Maharsham lived a long time after the minhag of no kitniyot was established. Therefore, using proof the rapeseed oil was available in Europe during his time, is not really a valid proof that is was part of the minhag of kitniyot. Secondly, you stated the the oil, before 20 years ago, was not edible. So, that being the case, in what context exactly was the Maharsham prohibiting its use, as the prohibition of kitniyot extends only to eating, not owning or using?"

Please post the response you get.

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 2:24 pm
1. Maharsham related to rapeseed as self-understood kitniyos. It doesn't seem that he paskened it was kitniyos; rather that it was already accepted as kitniyos in those days.

2. The response says only that rapeseed oil was banned in the United States; it doesn't refer to its status in other countries and it doesn't say it wasn't edible, just that it wasn't so healthy. Centuries ago, people probably weren't aware of the health hazards of erucic acid and did use it for food purposes.

If you get a different answer, I'd be curious to know what it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics