Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
When are you planning to turn over your kitchen this year?
1  2  3  Next

shalhevet

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 3:26 pm
Long, long ago I used to love it when seder night was Fri night or Motz"Sh, because I had a whole week before without having to make Shabbos, which seemed like an impossible feat to do in the middle of pesach cleaning.

But that was long ago, and in recent years I've loved it when Pesach was Monday night or Wednesday night, because it would give me a deadline - I'd cook for Shabbos Hagadol in Pesach keilim and have to have my kitchen turned over by Thursday at the latest. And I'd reach Motz"Sh with a KLP kitchen (and usually a few things ready for YT like pickles or ice-cream (not necessarily to be eaten together).

So now I'm kind of wondering whether to go full steam ahead and kasher maybe even Sunday or Monday (I have plenty of other places here left to clean). I just like the thought of a few days of relaxed cooking and baking, instead of being rushed (though I always end up rushed in the end Confused ). But then - what will we eat for nearly a week?

Pineapple

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 3:27 pm
was hoping for tuesday but I am really far behind

we shall see

Tova

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 4:07 pm
Plan to kasher Monday night with the following cooking schedule in mind:

Tuesday - desserts, Wednesday - sides, Thursday - mains. Friday - simanei seder and fish. My MIL is bringing soup, roast and shnitzel.

Suppers will probably be chometz through Monday (with Monday outside), Tuesday and Wednesday pizza and takeout fleishigs (one of the caterers in town is running a low cost option for fleishigs) and Thursday Pesachdig supper at home. Best I can do with working my busy season now, and kids will enjoy the treat.

Last edited by Tova on Tue, Mar 27 2012, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Liba

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 4:09 pm
My goal is motzei shabbos. My BIL is coming for Shabbos so he can stay to work with my DH and IY"H do the kashering then.

almost

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 4:27 pm
Tues or Wed night. My husband doesn't like to do it earlier because dinners seem to be more expensive once we kasher. Until we kasher I use a lot of noodles. Thurs and Fri will be cooking days.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 4:48 pm
Probably Thursday morning.

MMCH

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 4:56 pm
monday or tuesday night.. allthough I am severly far behind in cleaning the rest of the house..
so well see

black sheep

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:08 pm
monday. I hope.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:15 pm
im planning on doing it either sunday or monday, depending on when I can stop using the sinks. my oven I will self clean saturday night, and I am putting in new racks so its not terrible. I am going to use disposable bowls for dips, and try to keep my sinks clean over shabbos so that they will be clean over shabbos for 24 hours and then I can do it sunday when my husband is home, vs monday night when he would have to do it after a long day of work....

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:43 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Long, long ago I used to love it when seder night was Fri night or Motz"Sh, because I had a whole week before without having to make Shabbos, which seemed like an impossible feat to do in the middle of pesach cleaning.

But that was long ago, and in recent years I've loved it when Pesach was Monday night or Wednesday night, because it would give me a deadline - I'd cook for Shabbos Hagadol in Pesach keilim and have to have my kitchen turned over by Thursday at the latest. And I'd reach Motz"Sh with a KLP kitchen (and usually a few things ready for YT like pickles or ice-cream (not necessarily to be eaten together).

So now I'm kind of wondering whether to go full steam ahead and kasher maybe even Sunday or Monday (I have plenty of other places here left to clean). I just like the thought of a few days of relaxed cooking and baking, instead of being rushed (though I always end up rushed in the end Confused ). But then - what will we eat for nearly a week?
I'm in the same predicament as you.
I love it when Pesach is on Mon or Tues. It forces me to be ready for Shabbos Hagadol, and I start cooking before Shabbos.

But dh doesn't want to be Pesachdig already a whole extra week plus before Pesach this year. So I have to wait until after Shabbos.

It's going to be tough with the food situation next week. I'm thinking of Kashering sometime between Sun-Tues, please Hashem.

Thursday night's dinner will for sure be Pesachdig. Not chicken and potatoes, something that seems more Chometz like. I'd rather not do too many Pesachdig suppers next week. We will probably have to do 2 nights of bought food - one in the store, and if the weather is nice than maybe one take home and eat outside. But I think the hardest will be deciding what to serve on the nights we stop using the sinks for hot Chometz and the night we Kasher.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:50 pm
Tuesday night IY"H. That's how much time I ususally have to cook before YT, and I'm used to it.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:58 pm
Tonight.

yksraya

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 5:59 pm
I b''h kashered my kitchen already.

rachel6543

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 6:01 pm
I'm going to start cleaning my kitchen Sunday/Monday, so it'll prob be Wed night or Thur morn. before I completely turn over my kitchen (I.e. actually kasher the oven and stove). No way before that for me as I work fulltime. Plus this year I'm not cooking like crazy. Doing the 1st Seder with a friend, so we're splitting the cooking. 2nd Seder we're out. Other meals we're home for some, out for others. Going to keep meals simple and easy.

mynameismom

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 6:33 pm
Im turning over the kitchen this Thursday. Shabbos food will be pesachdik. We'll make hamotzi on the deck.

marina

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 6:37 pm
aaaaah what is wrong with you people who already kashered? Pesach is long enough, why make it two weeks?

Unless you have some exigent circumstances- five barmitzvahs to plan and a scheduled c-section erev pesach.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 6:39 pm
I'm going to clean my kitchen monday/tuesday and kasher wednesday night. It should give me two days of cooking/baking.

yksraya

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 6:41 pm
marina wrote:
aaaaah what is wrong with you people who already kashered? Pesach is long enough, why make it two weeks?

Unless you have some exigent circumstances- five barmitzvahs to plan and a scheduled c-section erev pesach.

I know I still have much time till pesach but with little kids it makes me a calm mother knowing everything is done and I can cook everything early and be busy with my kids when they have off from school.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 6:42 pm
The day before bedikas chametz. I work well under pressure Very Happy

mynameismom

Post Tue, Mar 27 2012, 6:47 pm
well im in my third trimester and I dont want to have to spend the whole yom tov slaving in the kitchen. Nobpdy in my house is misrable. The kids are happily helping out and we are almost there. for me slow and steady will make Pesach doable for me. Im setting up a mini chometz kitchen in the garage so the kids can make simple chometzdik stuff that they can eat on the porch. But the last week must be dedicated only to cooking so it can all get done at a reasonable pace.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics