Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Should I sell sheitels in Pesach hotel lobby?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 10:28 am
Mimi of Mimi's sheitels hired me to do marketing for her sheitel business, as you can see by my current signature.

I'm going to a hotel for Pesach. So the idea of selling Mimi's sheitels on chol hamoed came up.

There are women who come to this hotel and sell costume jewelry, tichels, makeup, handbags, etc.

Initially I thought it would be a great idea, but then someone told me that a sheitel is too big of a deal to sell in a hotel lobby on chol hamoed. It's something that needs an appointment in a salon, not an impulse purchase.

I agree, except for the fact that these sheitels are $275, so with the price that most of the women at the hotel have paid for their sheitels, 275 seems almost free!! Mimi said that she's done some shows where women buy one for themselves, one for their sister, one for their friend, etc. Also, these are pony wigs (they can also be worn down), so it's a good season to sell them now that the weather is warming up, and they are also great "vacation wigs" when you don't want to ruin your expensive wig at Niagara Falls, but you don't want to just wear a tichel throughout your vacation.

What do you think? Would it occur to you to buy a bargain priced sheitel on chol hamoed in a Pesach hotel?

Liba

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 10:30 am
Usually you need permission from the hotel to sell things and they often get a part of the sales plus possibly other fees.

CatLady

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 10:37 am
If there are going to be other vendors, then I'd do it, for at least part of the time. (Depending on how much of a percentage of sales they charge) Set up a sign with hours when you'll be there, so you can enjoy yourself as well. Bring plenty of business cards, and set up appointments for after Pesach when people are more in a buying mood.

You could even suggest having Sheitel Parties - the hostess gets a group of friends to come over, and receives a discount on her own sheitel depending on the amount of sales. The advantage to you would be having a group of potential customers in one setting, which saves you time, and the participants could get feedback from their friends on how they look as well as the potential of a discount.

yummymummy

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 11:01 am
$275 really is a steal. I agree that if you were selling $3k wigs the hotel lobby would not be the best place, but I think people would be interested in cheap pony sheitels.

Lani22

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 11:10 am
I think its an awesome idea. I have been to hotels with venders in the lobby selling hats for $275!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 11:45 am
Thanks for your opinion, ladies! I really appreciate it.

Liba, there's no issue about paying out a percentage, in this case.

sneakermom

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 12:10 pm
I think people will buy. Especially if they are precut.

spinkles

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 12:39 pm
Unless you NEED the money (I.e. won't have $ to buy food and basics otherwise), I don't think you're allowed to do this on chol hamoed. I'm not a Rav though.

Tova

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 12:40 pm
General question - halachically are you allowed to create a situation where people will transact business on Chol Hamoed? Even if they feel it's davar ha'aved?

Lani22

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 1:07 pm
im confused.. are you not allowed to go shopping on chol hamoed? I have been to many hotels on pesach and all of them have had ppl selling jewelry, hats, kippas, kids clothing...on chol hamoed.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 1:12 pm
There are different shittos about permissable chol hamoed activities.

I was told that it's okay to buy a "davar ha'avud" meaning, something that's on sale now, or something I can only get now because it won't be available or nearby after yom tov. I was also told that if I use my purchase on yom tov, then it's fine. (So if these women wear their sheitels on pesach, it's okay to buy them on chol hamoed. They are precut so they can be worn right away.)

Anyway, everyone should ask their LOR:)

adina

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 1:43 pm
I would never buy a shaitel that I couldn't try on first. How will women try them on in the hotel lobby?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 3:09 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
There are different shittos about permissable chol hamoed activities.

I was told that it's okay to buy a "davar ha'avud" meaning, something that's on sale now, or something I can only get now because it won't be available or nearby after yom tov. I was also told that if I use my purchase on yom tov, then it's fine. (So if these women wear their sheitels on pesach, it's okay to buy them on chol hamoed. They are precut so they can be worn right away.)

Anyway, everyone should ask their LOR:)

Did you ask about selling? Because you are the one creating the sale situation.

You might be right about them using it on Pesach, but still, it's not like they needed it, is it? Or they would have bought before. Anyway, ask your own rav, but with the whole story, not relying on what you heard when you were the buyer.

Fox

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 3:16 pm
My DH happens to be super-strict about not doing business Chol Hamoed, but otherwise, I think it's a great idea.

There's a lot of marketing value even if you don't sell a large number. Someone who isn't interested in purchasing one right now will certainly remember the name, and the next time she needs a shaitel or hears someone bemoaning the crazy prices, she's likely to recommend the brand she saw.

mommydiaries

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 3:23 pm
As to the question of where to try on the sheitle.... Maybe a small conference room?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 3:24 pm
My rav advised me to do it this way:

Show samples of the sheitels (much easier than shlepping and setting up tons of inventory!), and take down email addresses of people who want to buy. Email them after yom tov with a link to order their sheitel.

Of course women want to try it on! I'd set it up on the side of the lobby near the woman's bathroom that has a large lobby.

Lani22

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 3:33 pm
just out of curioisity- which hotel are you going to?

Kumphort

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 3:44 pm
Actually, as a recent sheital purchaser, I wouldnt suggest doing it the way your rav suggested.

When I was trying on sheitals, there was variation, even amount the same size/color, they all fit the same, so if I wanted to try something on and buy it, I would want to do buy the ones that I am trying on.

If you are just going so that people can get a hand on feel, for something they would any how order online, than I guess that is fine.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 11:03 pm
Lani - Pocono Manor.

Kump- I know what you're saying, and I'm sure some women would not order a sheitel, but so be it. Mimi allows returns within 24 hours, just in case the sheitel isn't what you expected.

I think it will be a fun experience! I always thought that working in sales in a store (such as a clothing or appliance store) was appealing!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels