Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cheap supper ideas

amother

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 5:30 pm
so now that we have a quick supper thread. what about cheap suppers? what is the cheapest main dish or side dish you make?

avigayil

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 5:34 pm
Pasta with sauce!
Also, we make Wacky Macs sometimes and I make green beans.

Hannah!

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 7:27 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 7:42 pm
thanks, Hannah!, great ideas.

I could start another thread to ask about healthy meals... but I want something that's fast AND cheap AND healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

am I asking too much?!?!!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 9:49 pm
of course not!

pasta is great, unless you use a whole package of $4 cheese with it.....eggs are also good unless you eat 5 of them.....

you want healthy, not just quick and cheap.....

I think chopped meat is good, but you have to get the extra lean and stretchit a lot, like meatloaf with a lot of veggies....

withhumor

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 10:08 pm
You can ask your local butcher store how much a case of chicken would be. You will be shocked how cheap it can be. I buy a case of cutlets separately and share with my siblings and it comes out to pennies compared to buying packaged ones in the supermarket on demand.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 6:12 am
beans, lentils etc are very cheap and healthy, if your family like them. Tuna as well.

I make a veg stew with mushrooms, potato, carrots (anything you have) tinned tomatoes and then you throw in a tin of kidney beans at the end. Then I make a kind of cheese scone (butter flour cheese chives and milk) which you bake on top. It is really good.

klotzkashe

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 6:56 am
pasta tuna bake

fry onions and grated veggies add couple of cans of tuna and spieces and ketchup. stir through cooked pasta, top w/ sauce and bake.

ShiraMiri

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 9:22 am
Tuna Casserole. 1 box macaroni and cheese, one can tuna, one can cream of mushroom soup. Make macaroni and cheese according to directions. Mix in tuna and can of soup. Put into a casserole baking dish and top with cornflake crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until top is brown.

Not the healthiest dish, but yummy and cheap!

JRKmommy

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 10:25 am
Vegetarian dishes with starches can be both healthy and dirt cheap! If you avoid processed foods and use interesting spices, it will seem fresh and creative, not cheap.

Chili: Use a can of tomatoes, a can or 2 of beans, and whatever fresh or frozen veggies you need to use up. Add some chili spice, cayenne or jalepeno, garlic and cumin. Cook for 15 min, serve over couscous or rice. Lots of veggies, fibre, protein from the beans, very little fat or nasty stuff, and very filling.

Curry: I use 1 package Liberty extra-firm tofu, 1 can chick peas, 1 can diced tomatoes, and whatever fresh or frozen veggies I need to use up. Add curry powder, cayenne, ground coriander and cumin. You can top with a bit of cilantro if you want to be fancy. Serve over rice.

Bean spreads: Make your own with canned beans, or cook your own dried beans. Put in food processer with garlic, a bit of lemon juice, and whatever other spices you like. Tastes gourmet, but it's healthy and very cheap.

Filling soups:

Lentil: Brown a chopped onion, add some cumin and a pinch of cayenne, add a cup of dried lentils, a peeled and chopped potato, a few leftover fresh or frozen veggies, and cooked for 30 min. Puree, serve with a bit of lemon juice.

Pancakes: 1 cup milk, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup of rolled oats and 1/2 tsp of baking powder. Makes 3-4 large pancakes. If you eliminate the oats, add an egg and decrease the baking powder, you can make crepes - saute some mushrooms and onions, add to the top of the pancake, along with some cheese, and fold in half.

Healthy latkes: Make mashed potatoes. Take a can of chick peas, whiz in the food processor. Add to potatoes. Take either peas or cauliflower, whiz in food processor, add to potatoes. Add an egg to mixture. Fry up the latkes. Good way of hiding good stuff for really fussy eaters.

Pesto Pasta: Cook up the pasta. Saute some onion, garlic, and 2 or 3 cubes of frozen Toppits basil (great product), add some slices mushrooms or zucchini if desired, add drained pasta when it is cooked, and add some olive oil.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 10:31 am
Chicken wings arer the cheapest kind of chicken and bake or broil fast.

If you get the case of chicken and bone the tops yourself, you can use the bones for soup and the cutlets for a stir fry (cut them up). The bottoms can be baked for Shabbos any way you like them.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 10:34 am
pasta isnt healthy Confused especially if its the white flour kind.

JRKmommy

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
pasta isnt healthy Confused especially if its the white flour kind.

For Americans: Barilla Plus has tons of fibre, protein and Omega 3, and it tastes like regular pasta.

For Canadians: President's Choice has some great healthy pasta, including a high protein spaghetti that also tastes like "normal" pasta.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 12:02 pm
well, it's a simple carb....it depends on who's eating it, how much, and how often....

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 2:07 pm
buy the way you can buy spinach pasta as well

3 cans tuna fish for patties (purchased at .98 solid white)
breadcrumbs (flavored) or some left over challa will do
onion
3 eggs
some black pepper

serve w/can of corn (I buy case when on sale)

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 2:08 pm
Cooked white rice
sardines w/tomatoe sauce on top

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 2:34 pm
Beans are healthy and cheap.

I make Insanely Easy Vegetarian Chili and serve with corn bread or brown rice. (I think I posted the recipe on imamother, or google it.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus