Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Need a good potato peeler - any suggestions?

amother

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 11:16 am
Every year I buy potato peelers for Pesach. We do alot of peeling, so I really need a few so I can have a few kids peeling veggies at the same time. I need a really good peeler, easy to use and doesn't keep coming apart...but I'm out of the NY area, so need a good suggestion for one I can purchase locally like at a K-mart, Target. Any suggestions?

mango

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 11:32 am
Cutco - it is the best! Although it will cost you I'm not sure how much my dh is a cutco salesman so we got it cheaper. Also I don't know when it will get to you as it's mail order although you can pay for faster shipping. Pm me if you faced anyone questions I can ask dh for you if you are interested.

cm

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 11:49 am
Oxo

Barbara

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 11:59 am
Oxo.

Love mine. Inexpensive, and very easy to use.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 12:47 pm
Another vote for Oxo. I've got lots of them and they're the best.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 12:51 pm
Oxo is comfortable to hold, but BH I'm not arthritic so I prefer one that's sharp as compared to one that's padded or whatevr. Just see what's in your stores, and buy enough that if you drop it, you can put it away until next year.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 12:55 pm
Has anyone tried the KitchenAid peeler? It peels ok, but I find the handle somewhat uncomfortable and wide.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 12:59 pm
Yup, OXO is the one! Been using mine for a few years, all year round, and it's still sharp and quick.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
Has anyone tried the KitchenAid peeler? It peels ok, but I find the handle somewhat uncomfortable and wide.

Yes, I have one too. (amother? Come on, we can't be the only 2 ppl in the world who have this). I do find it awkward to use. The OXO is much more comfortable.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 1:03 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Oxo is comfortable to hold, but BH I'm not arthritic so I prefer one that's sharp as compared to one that's padded or whatevr. Just see what's in your stores, and buy enough that if you drop it, you can put it away until next year.

Plenty of us have no problem picking up something from the floor, rinsing it and using it again.

Barbara

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 1:22 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Plenty of us have no problem picking up something from the floor, rinsing it and using it again.

Fear of chametz floor?

In any case, my Oxo is plenty sharp.

cm

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 1:31 pm
Some people (not me) hold that anything dropped on the floor on Pesach cannot be used again until the next year.

Oxo is very unslippery and unlikely to fall, and the sharpest, easiest-to-use peeler I have ever encountered. They recently (within the last few years) changed the design, so I am referring to the original version.

I have heard that you can sharpen a peeler by "peeling" a knife sharpener (the long metal pole on a handle, not an electric sharpener). This would only work if the metal of the sharpener is harder than the metal of the peeler, I think.

naomi2

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 1:46 pm
kohn rikon (sp?) the swiss ones are best!!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 1:56 pm
naomi2 wrote:
kohn rikon (sp?) the swiss ones are best!!

I assume you mean the different shape ones -- like harp shaped with a bigger cutting blade? I find them very awkward to use, but I presume that is because I grew up using the standard American style ones. I do know people who only use those and love them though.

nycgal

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 2:54 pm
http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rik.....r=8-1

I love these!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 2:57 pm
oxo soft grips only!
we have ours for years and years and they are phenomenal.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 3:05 pm
amother wrote:

I have the KitchenAid as well as an Oxo for Pesach. I only use the Oxo. The KitchenAid one just sits in the drawer. I hate it. It's fine to peel one thing, but if you're peeling 5 or 10 pounds of potatoes or carrots at a time - your hand will hurt badly! Oxo is the way to go. Comfy and sturdy!

imamiri

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 3:52 pm
Oxo or Kitchenaid. Love them both.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 4:18 pm
mango wrote:
Cutco - it is the best! Although it will cost you I'm not sure how much my dh is a cutco salesman so we got it cheaper. Also I don't know when it will get to you as it's mail order although you can pay for faster shipping. Pm me if you faced anyone questions I can ask dh for you if you are interested.

I have pm'ed you (I am NOT the OP).

Anon1

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 5:10 pm
Another vote for oxxo-the'y-peeler". I've been through many,and haven't found anything that compares.Finally remembered to buy some for pesach this year !
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics