Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
European Public Health Alliance: formula vs breastfeeding
1  2  3  4  5  Next

gryp

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 9:39 am
This is "in the news" because I believe this is indeed newsworthy:

http://www.epha.org/IMG/pdf/EP.....1.pdf

I'd love to copy and paste parts of it but it won't let me, so y'all will have to read the 3 pages by yourself.

It says such things like "The benefits of breastfeeding are measurable throughout childhood and into adolescence" and "Scientific evidence has consistently shown that the use of formula rather than breastfeeding increases infant mortality rates, .... infectious diseases, chronic diseases, autoimmune diseases, and offers less than optimal development and growth,... lower cognitive and visual development, and increased risk of obesity."

Happy reading. Maybe now we can put this to rest.

Zus

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 7:06 am
No bashing please.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 7:13 am
As a mother who breastfed my three children for a minimum of 18 months each, I still don't like the part that wants European legislation to not allow as part of it's health program any free or low-cost formula for children under 6 months.

This will just make it harder for those who cannot nurse. What about people who have multiples? What about those who cannot nurse for health reasons? I don't think a government should be making it so difficult for women to have a choice (and when formula is expensive, choice is limited for many people).

I think the important thing is for a baby to be fed adequately and consistently, and for the baby to be loved. How that is accomplished is a mother's business and no one elses. Period.

Strudel

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 7:44 am
Nice article and thanks for posting.

A couple of points though.
First, its from 2005, and therefore a little outdated.
Second, its not from a government organization, but a think tank or NGO. If it was from the EU, X goverment from a certain EU country, then it might have some weight, its not. I could write the same thing and give myself a fancy title. Money could also be involved, and so influence what they write.

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 7:45 am
I think that if you are taking charity (free or low cost formula) they have a right to expect you to try and nurse your child. Why do they have to pay for formula for you, if you have free food available on tap 24/7. If there is a medical reason, get a doctor's note. If you just don't feel like nursing, get a job and pay for it yourself.

gryp

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 7:49 am
Strudel wrote:

Second, its not from a government organization, but a think tank or NGO. If it was from the EU, X goverment from a certain EU country, then it might have some weight, its not. I could write the same thing and give myself a fancy title. Money could also be involved, and so influence what they write.

I realize that but a) they base it all on the WHO recommendations and b) I somehow don't think that 5 years later they're turning their opinion around. And c) money from who? breast pump manufacturers? nursing pad makers? LOL This isn't like formula companies paying a research team to come up with a study that shows how wonderful formula is.

Strudel

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 7:52 am
GR wrote:
Strudel wrote:

I realize that but a) they base it all on the WHO recommendations and b) I somehow don't think that 5 years later they're turning their opinion around. And c) money from who? breast pump manufacturers? nursing pad makers? LOL This isn't like formula companies paying a research team to come up with a study that shows how wonderful formula is.

Don't WHO also recommend all kids a fully vaccinated?

gryp

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 7:53 am
Sure they do!

What's the connection?

Zus

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 9:16 am
chaylizi wrote:
I think that if you are taking charity (free or low cost formula) they have a right to expect you to try and nurse your child. Why do they have to pay for formula for you, if you have free food available on tap 24/7. If there is a medical reason, get a doctor's note. If you just don't feel like nursing, get a job and pay for it yourself.

My thoughts exactly.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 9:19 am
Quote:
chaylizi wrote:

Because I'm thinking in the best interest of the baby, too. I've seen mothers who don't like nursing, and the consequence is that their babies aren't fed enough. I think formula should be available cheaply so that those babies should get their food.

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 9:23 am
Zus wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

I wish WIC would do the same in the US. So many people living below the poverty line use formula because it is easier & free. I think they are just afraid that women will buy formula anyway & dilute it too much to keep it longer. There are tons of kids like that around the world- literally starving (okay & possibly also drinking contaminated water).

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 9:25 am
Chayalle wrote:
Quote:
chaylizi wrote:

Because I'm thinking in the best interest of the baby, too. I've seen mothers who don't like nursing, and the consequence is that their babies aren't fed enough. I think formula should be available cheaply so that those babies should get their food.

People who would starve their children because they are selfish & don't like nursing, shouldn't be mothers. Charity doesn't come on silver platters. End of story.

(Although it IS a big problem. See my above comment about WIC.)

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 9:35 am
BTW, EPHA has nothing to do with EU. It's a consortium of non-profit organisations.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 10:10 am
Quote:
People who would starve their children because they are selfish & don't like nursing, shouldn't be mothers.

But they do become mothers. and they have all sorts of excuses. But my heart breaks for the babies.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 11:00 am
Chayelle, most european countries have pretty good welfare systems. I don't think there are people with no money for food for their kids.

Most countries offer a child benefit - a cash sum per month for each child. In my country you get double for multiples.

Maybe diluting formula is a problem in the 3rd world...not in Europe.

What is a HUGE health problem in Europe is obesity, and lower income people are far more likely to be obese. Since breastfeeding is known to help prevent obesity, giving out free formula is counterproductive.

Tova

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 12:37 pm
Doctor's note - wonderful idea.

So when my baby nurses wonderfully in the morning but refuses to latch or suck 10:00 at night, my baby has to starve if I don't have any pumped milk.

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 12:55 pm
You could always buy it yourself.

Tova

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 1:11 pm
[I don't get any food assistance - but]

I thought someone was saying that formula should be availalbe by prescription only. If I didn't read it in this thread than on another one.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 1:33 pm
Tova wrote:

I thought someone was saying that formula should be availalbe by prescription only. If I didn't read it in this thread than on another one.

no, they were saying that free formula (eg wic) should be given on a drs note only.

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 2:01 pm
Raisin wrote:
Tova wrote:

no, they were saying that free formula (eg wic) should be given on a drs note only.

Right.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics