Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Who opens the door for eliyahu hanavi?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Apr 08 2012, 7:42 pm
My fil came to us for the sedarim for the first time and when it came time to open the door for eliyahu hanavi he asked me if I'm opening the door because I guess his minhag is for the woman is to open the door. I never heard of that and that's not our minhag. Our minhag is whoever is closer Wink .

Who opens the door by you?

de_goldy

Post Sun, Apr 08 2012, 9:12 pm
Our minhag is women/girls.

We also consider it a siman bracha, like opening the door is opening a keli for brachos during the year. So we often give it to the pregnant women as a bracha for easy birth, or shidduch age young women etc.

Or sometimes it's just whoever wants, whoever's not too tired, the little girls, etc.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 08 2012, 10:40 pm
yo'ma wrote:
My fil came to us for the sedarim for the first time and when it came time to open the door for eliyahu hanavi he asked me if I'm opening the door because I guess his minhag is for the woman is to open the door. I never heard of that and that's not our minhag. Our minhag is whoever is closer Wink .

Who opens the door by you?
Ours too Smile

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Apr 08 2012, 10:43 pm
Whoever volunteered when we were kids, and sometimes it was who ever was still awake Smile

cm

Post Sun, Apr 08 2012, 11:22 pm
Typically a child. I don't know about any particular minhag, but it's fun for the children to do, and fits with the overall theme of the seder being an interesting, thought-provoking experience for the younger participants.

happy mom1

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 8:49 am
All the children together. It is the highlight of the seder for them and their faces light up when it's time to open the door.
Their pure belief is an inspiration for all the adults present.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 1:24 pm
The kids. So that the adults can shake the table so they think that Eliyahu Hanavi drank from the wine (and spilt it!) LOL

But sometimes the older kids go too (as in my married sister and me if I can be bothered - not this year though.)

lst

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 2:41 pm
The kids who are still awake always do it at our seder...
Though this year I just learned that we don't actually open the door for Eliyahu HaNavi, we are opening as we say shifoch chamascha, to show the other nations that we are not afraid.

freidasima

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 2:55 pm
Actually as my husband reminded us at the seder, the custom of opening the door is a medieval european one because of the tendency of our dear Gentile neighbors to plant non Jewish children's corpses at our doorstep on Pesach eve, which was usually near Easter, as part of blood libels. Therefore the opening of the door is practical. We do it during Shfoch Chamoscho, and we open it to check that they didn't do anything dangerous...

Just like it was customary in ancient times to open the door at "ho lachmo anyo" because at the time of the mishna when the seder was being codified as we know it now, it was truly customary for people, poor people, to come in to partake of other people's seders, which is why we say "kol dichfin" in aramaic which was the language of the period.

And in our house for the past few years I do it because I'm closesst to the door and until now we haven't had any little kids who are big enough to do it. Maybe in a year or two our oldest grandson will be awake at that time and it will become his job.

mydear

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 3:39 pm
The kids - they enjoy it (even the older ones)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics