Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Week old baby

amother

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 3:11 pm
would you take out a week old baby?
It is chol hamoed and I really want to go out I don't want
to spend the day by myself while everyone else is out having fun.

torahtots

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 3:16 pm
Yes.

chani8

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 4:51 pm
My first baby and I went everywhere as soon as I felt strong enough. Just keep the baby lightly covered so people dont stop to look, because you want to keep the excess germs away. IOW, keep your distance from strangers and anyone who may be sick. Babies are fragile.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 5:19 pm
The question is, would I go out for a long time one week after giving birth? No. I'd know that while I might feel a pang of jealousy, my energy would be far better directed towards regaining my strength and caring for my newborn at home. Half an hour out would be refreshing. A long trip would be draining, and could affect my recovery and nursing too.

cm

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 5:41 pm
chani8 wrote:
My first baby and I went everywhere as soon as I felt strong enough. Just keep the baby lightly covered so people dont stop to look, because you want to keep the excess germs away. IOW, keep your distance from strangers and anyone who may be sick. Babies are fragile.

Good idea. I used a carriage cover (the see-through white fabric kind) to keep people from sticking their faces into the carriage when I had a newborn.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 7:25 pm
Keep in mind that many people have a minhag to go to shul after having a baby before going anywhere else (don't know if its yours but figured I'd mention it just in case).

I would go out a bit if it were just the baby. But for yourself - don't over do it. You just had a baby, and many times if you push yourself soon after having your recovery can take longer and you can have set backs.
I think one week after having a baby is too soon to be running around. Maybe to go to the park or lake and relax on a bench would be okay.

milchigs

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 7:42 pm
No.

I say this out of experience. After my first birth, I thought I could conquer mountains with the energy (I felt) I had, but, surprise! A short outing left me feeling disasterously, miserably exhausted and sorry I overexerted myself. If they are going somewhere where there will be someplace to sit (preferably most of the time) and you know you would feel better being part of it, then by all means, go. But all I could remember about so soon after birth is that any time I moved around too much, even stood too much, I felt terribly worn out and extra sore where my stitches were. I don't know if this is your first baby or if this is how you will feel, but that's just my take.

Mazel tov Smile

Marion

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 1:23 am
I would, if you're not talking about a hike. Like others have said, as long as there's somewhere to sit and nurse (or feed, if you're not nursing), why not? A picnic sounds wonderful...

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 1:45 am
Outside on one's porch or balcony? Or in the backyard? I guess I'm a bit of a worrier and I wouldn't go walking about with a week-old baby. I do believe in limiting germs somewhat in the first few weeks. (I did not pass my child about after the bris/kiddush for instance. I kept my child with me.) That might just be worrier me.

Babies of that age can't regulate their temperature well, so I wouldn't go out if it were windy or cold, but if the day were nice, to sit on the porch or in the backyard, I think that is fine.

I also needed time to recover. My body did not bounce back within a week. When I had my 2nd child a friend advised me not to do anything really for the first 6 wks as the body needed time to heal and even if one felt well then, the long term effects weren't good. That could however have just been an old wives tale.

ewa-jo

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 10:04 am
I would go.

If you're not walking around like crazy, it might be a good idea to have the baby in a carrier... I have a baby sling that I've used for all of my kids (and I'm soooo not the babywearing type) but it keeps them away from strangers and their germs and also, a lot of babies sleep nicely all snuggled up like that.

If you're up to it, there's no reason to stay at home. Also, it's important to have something to do... to dress up and be around people.. so you feel like a person again.

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 10:29 am
I just had my baby last week. My thoughts on the matter - if u are driving/taking a bus to get there (or if its 2 blocks or less), can spend at least 50% of the time sitting on something comfy, are out for under 3-4 hours, and you are no longer taking tons of pain relief tablets- go for it!

Like Ewa-ja suggested, wear baby in a sling to minimize germs. It feels wonderful to put on some human being clothes and get some fresh air, BUT if you are still in the serious recuperation part, DONT OVERDUE IT.

SavtaHelen

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 10:33 am
It depends on where and when; to visit relatives is one thing; to do to an outdoor concert at night is something else

If everyone is going on a picnic and there is a way to bring a tent to shield the baby from wind and sun and there is no physical stress on you, why not

Trust your own instincts and judgement.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 12:28 pm
If you have energy and its a short trip, not too straining then I would do it!

just keep the baby wrapped up and covered up.

Enjoy!

Frenchfry

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 1:05 pm
I felt exactly like you a few years ago when I had a 10 day old on CHMD Pesach. I went on a big trip with my family. I felt okay, but because I was out and about and the baby slept, I didn't nurse enough, and I developed a nasty breast infection that night

chanab

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 10:41 pm
NO.
Your baby's health comes before any pangs of loneliness you may feel. If you really take care of yourself now, IyH in afew short weeks you will be able to be out and about. I try not to go "shpatziring" with a baby less than a month old.......
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics