Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Unvaccinated- Sad stories of kids getting sick
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 8:04 pm
chani8 wrote:
Chayalle wrote:
I once read an article written by Dr Indich, a pediatrician in Lakewood. He said that he had a patient - a little boy who passed away from the whooping cough, a few days after his bris. In the video of the bris, they saw a young boy from the shul standing inches away from the child, whooping. The boy was from a family that did not vaccinate.

Are babies at one week old given vaccines for whooping cough? I believe not. The first vaccine is at three months, unless I am mistaken.
the first vaccine is between 6-8 weeks where I live but I think the point of that story is the that the baby caught it from a kid in shul attending the bris coughing a few inches away from him.

I don't know about in the states but here in Australia whooping cough is on the rise because there are a lot that don't vaccinate
Not that I'm into scaring people into vaccines either. I know someone whose grandchild had a horrible horrible reaction to vaccinations at the age of 2 with lasting affects.
so I don't have strong opinions either way. I vaccinate, but signed NO to the hepititis vaccine they offer babies in hospital.
I'm just replying to your post to explain the point of that story. but I'm not taking sides either. Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 8:54 pm
groisamomma wrote:
HY, is it possible that when an unvaxed child gets sick it's "active" and when a vaxed kid has the germ it's passive and so harder to pass on?
I have yet to see data that shows the transmission of the bacteria being different between someone vaccinated or unvaccinated. What anon for this said makes sense to me in theory (that fewer vaccinated people would be spewing the germs outbound with the same propensity) but I have not found data that confirms nor denies this. What I do know is that the bacteria is not prevented by the vaccinated individual to be spread; it takes time for the body to start producing the antibodies to kill off the bacteria festering inside. In general, most diseases are passed on before symptoms of sickness are actually noticed.

ElTam

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 9:28 pm
Quote:

I have yet to see data that shows the transmission of the bacteria being different between someone vaccinated or unvaccinated. What anon for this said makes sense to me in theory (that fewer vaccinated people would be spewing the germs outbound with the same propensity) but I have not found data that confirms nor denies this.

Vaccines either use dead virus (can't be spread) or attenuated virus (weakened through a variety of methods). No vaccine currently in use uses a full-strength live virus. (Until a few years ago, polio was given in a more live form in some countries, but after it was linked to cases of polio, that version of the vaccine was pulled.)

Last edited by ElTam on Thu, Apr 19 2012, 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 9:31 pm
What is your post in connection to?

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 9:43 pm
Should we make smaller brisim - so we avoid sick kids attending? Are we allowed to?

Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head

Last edited by amother on Tue, Jan 05 2016, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 9:55 pm
Hmm -- if you don't invite people to a bris, can you uninvite people (sick ones)?

elf123

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 10:03 pm
Ladies, be sensible: Why would a parent intentionally bring a sick child to a bris? When that child is sick enough for others to notice it, (leaving out the non-vaccinated part for argument's sake....)

ElTam

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 11:31 pm
Are you kidding me? People send their sick, feverish kids to school. They take them out for Shabbos meals. Why wouldn't they go to a bris?

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 5:09 am
OPINIONATED wrote:
Should we make smaller brisim - so we avoid sick kids attending? Are we allowed to?

Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head Question Scratching Head

There are many excellent reasons to make smaller brissim:

a) cheaper
b) less stressful on the mother. In another thread a mother said he was unable to nurse successfully due to all the disruption from the bris.
c) less likelyhood of sick adults or kids endangering the babies life.

The mitzva is to make a bris, and have a minyan of men, and a seuda. Not 100 or 200 people.

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 3:14 pm
Just some interesting food for thought, esp. in light of the oft repeated claim that it is those nasty non-vaccinaters spreading disease:
Quote:
Researchers reviewed data on every patient who tested positive for pertussis between March and October 2010 at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in San Rafael, California.

Out of these 132 patients:

81 percent were fully up to date on the whooping cough vaccine
8 percent had never been vaccinated
11 percent had received at least one shot, but not the entire recommended series
[Chavamom adds - the 8 percent 'never vaccinated' and 11 percent partially vaccinated is a combination of infants that are not old enough to complete the series and those who don't vaccinate on principle]
Researchers noted:
“Despite widespread childhood vaccination against Bordetella pertussis, disease remains prevalent. It has been suggested that acellular vaccine may be less effective than previously believed. Our data suggests that the current schedule of acellular pertussis vaccine doses is insufficient to prevent outbreaks of pertussis.”

Quote:
In the recent DTaP vaccine study, researchers noted the vaccine’s effectiveness was only 41 percent among 2- to 7-year-olds and a dismal 24 percent among those aged 8-12. With this shockingly low rate of DTaP vaccine effectiveness, the questionable solution that public health officials have come up with is to declare that everybody has to get three primary shots and three follow-up booster shots just to get the vaccine to give long-lasting protection—if any protection is provided at all.ii

rosehill

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 3:31 pm
Thanks, Chavamom.
I had *sensed* that perhaps the vaccines were not as effective as we were led to believe, but had no evidence.
I have repeatedly received measles injections, and bloodwork repeatedly reveals no immunity.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 3:49 pm
Chavamom, I'd love the link to the study if you can easily share it Smile

Thanks!

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 5:10 pm
Here is the abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22423127
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics