Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you take your kids to the dentist every 6 months?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 5:09 pm
So, that's what's recommended, but with 5 kids and no dental insurance it's just too expensive, not to mention really stressful, to do every 6 months. We go once a year. Is that a big deal?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 5:47 pm
My dad took the kids to the dentist every erev succos ans erev pesach. It was a great way to get us out of the house so mom could cook.

they had insurance

Twinklejoy

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 7:14 pm
No dental coverage either..It's cheaper to go every 6 months(or 9 for low risk), then pay for fillings, root canals, and extractions that can occur from neglect. (from experience)

MeadowsLane

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 7:21 pm
we have dental coverage and pay quite a bit. I do take them every 6 months just to get our money's worth...

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 8:48 pm
I go once a year. The kids dread it and so far their teeth are ok so I am fine with that arrangement.

Sherri

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 8:49 pm
Twinklejoy wrote:
No dental coverage either..It's cheaper to go every 6 months(or 9 for low risk), then pay for fillings, root canals, and extractions that can occur from neglect. (from experience)
Good point!

jewishmom1

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 8:53 pm
I used to go once a year and it was fine. I tried doing that with my children but that didnt work too well. They needed too much work. A checkup is def cheaper than a root canal.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 2:14 pm
The child might be better off going by themselves, or you might try taking 2 at a time.

The kind of insurances that you buy on your own are usually horrible.

cm

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 3:52 pm
When I was growing up in the 70's, perhaps the guidelines were different, as we only went once a year (and always followed current health-care recommendations). My teeth were healthy, and as far as I know, my sisters were as well. We also took very good care of our dental health at home.

That being said, as an adult I find that both my teeth and gums benefit from a professional cleaning twice a year. For the kids, the pediatric dentists nowadays seem to pay attention to different things than they did decades ago, and it is helps to visit twice a year to catch problems for earlier intervention.

Lower-cost dental care is available from dental schools. Do you have one near you?

Culturedpearls

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 6:23 am
The little kids go every 6mths, the older ones 16+ every 9-12mths, depending on what the dentist recommends & if they are prone to cavities etc.
BTW my kids love their dentist , he's a pediatric dentist & is amazing with kids.

Liba

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 11:15 am
We go every six months and pay out of pocket. I was there last week and for four kids I paid almost $700. It stretches my budget but it is important. We are also doing sealants which aren't cheap but IY"H will keep their teeth healthy long term.

FWIW I spend what I have to to get a dentist I can trust and the kids enjoy going to. We could get subsidized dental care.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 2:39 pm
We generally go yearly, as recommended.

buzz

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 2:50 pm
My parents took us every 6 months until we were in our high teens.
So far I have taken my 4 yr old twice, once at 3 once when 4 and my 3 yr old once.
At this age the dentist said we don't need to come twice a yr!
I myself am still going regularly  as genetically I have really sensitive teeth and gums and more often than not still need stuff done!

groisamomma

Post Sat, Apr 21 2012, 8:01 pm
Yes, I do take them for a checkup and cleaning more than once a year, but because their appointments can be delayed due to high volume or scheduling conflict it comes out about three times in two years each child.

My insurance covers kids' dental. Dh and I go to a place where you pay according to your income, so it's not really all that much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics