Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Sleep Schedule

shirtsandskirts

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 4:19 pm
My baby is 2 months old, and I would like to start getting her sleeping habits to be more predictable. She generally does a 5-7 hour stretch every night, but if I put her to sleep at 7 that means she is waking up between 12 and 2 which means I don't get such a long stretch of sleep. Should I put her to bed later? If so then she just falls asleep by herself.
She then usually does another 4 hour stretch till about 6am and then sleeps till 9.
Also how many naps and for how long should she sleep during the day?

Thanks for the advice

dhm

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 4:25 pm
my two month old goes to sleep bet 10 & 11pm. she usually wakes up once during the night to eat & goes right back to sleep till about 6 7. she still sleeps a good part of the day also. about 2-3 long naps then some cat naps in between. I think this is a great scedule.

shirtsandskirts

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 6:48 am
Bump

ellie23

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 7:00 am
at 2 months old, that is a decent amount of sleep in a row at night...in order to facilitate good sleep habits for the future (after 12-16 weeks of age is when most well trained, healthy babies can sleep at least a 10 hour stretch with no eating in middle) have a bedtime routine right now. put the baby to sleep for the night (though you know he/she will be waking up 5-8 hours from then) at the same time after doing the same things every night (dinner, bath, story, song, bed etc...)...make sure baby's room is dark and a familiar cozy object is in the crib with baby...by being consistent now, you are likely to enjoy long nighttime sleeps from your baby at around 3 months old...I did this with my twins and at 12 and 14 weeks they were both sleeping 11 hours straight...for my children pushing off bedtime was very detrimental as they still woke up the same time in the am so they just became sleep deprived..I have since become accustomed to waking up at 6:30 am (they go to bed at 7 pm)...I am happy for the mommies who enjoy late mornign wake ups! it just didnt work out for me Smile

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 8:52 am
Ellie, at an older age what you're saying is true. But at this age, there are so many naps during the day that it's easier to change their schedules around if you need to.

Newima, it might not work, but why not try? I wouldn't just put her to bed later (as you said, she'd probably just fall asleep on her own...or be so overtired she wouldn't sleep well). Instead, try looking at when you nap her earlier in the day. Can you nap her at 4 or 5 or something so that she'll be able to go to sleep for the night at 10? Obviously this may not work, but it might be worth trying to switch around her schedule a bit to see if it works.

Keep in mind that this could definitely backfire -- once you start messing with a schedule, your baby might go COMPLETELY off schedule for a little while, not sleeping as long at all, and you'll kick yourself. The alternative is just waiting until she's older and starts stretching that sleep out more. At two months old, you're lucky she gives you such a long stretch, even if it's not when you'd like it to be! My first was getting up every two hours at night for quite a while, no matter what I did. My second was much better, but I don't think he was sleeping this long at two months...he started really getting into a good schedule a month or two later.

Nobody can tell you how your baby will react to schedule changes, especially at only twomonths old. Think about whether it's worth it to you.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 9:06 am
If she is going to sleep at 7 you can try feeding her when you go to sleep. Like around 10 or 11 in a dark quiet room feed her and put her right back in her crib.
There is no way to know if this will work. It could be she will just wake up for her regular feeding because she is used to it or sleep longer and give you a good stretch. Many babies at 2 months still wake very often at night. going 3 hours stretches is really expected at this age. The fact that she only wakes you once a night is pretty good at this age, I'm not sure you should mess with that.
and working on it now doesn't guarantee anything for the future. My baby got up only once a night as a newborn most nights. and then at 5 months she discovered she can wake up multiple times a night and get fed then as well.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 9:48 am
sky wrote:
If she is going to sleep at 7 you can try feeding her when you go to sleep. Like around 10 or 11 in a dark quiet room feed her and put her right back in her crib.
There is no way to know if this will work. It could be she will just wake up for her regular feeding because she is used to it or sleep longer and give you a good stretch. Many babies at 2 months still wake very often at night. going 3 hours stretches is really expected at this age. The fact that she only wakes you once a night is pretty good at this age, I'm not sure you should mess with that.
and working on it now doesn't guarantee anything for the future. My baby got up only once a night as a newborn most nights. and then at 5 months she discovered she can wake up multiple times a night and get fed then as well.
What she said.
I dream fed my baby for a few months it was great. From 7 till 11 then I fed him and he slept till 7/8am.

Eventually he stopped eating then he didnt like being woken up so I stopped and from then most nights he goes from 8-7.

MMCH

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 10:52 am
I would put her down for a late nap at like 4ish.. see how long that lasts..
my baby used to take her last 'cat nap' while we ate supper.. like 5ish 6ish and then we put her down at 1030..
as she got older the catnaps became fewer and her bedteim kept getting pushed up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics