Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
States that provide free services for special needs child

dani'smommy

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 11:20 am
We would LOVE to move out of Brooklyn, but we have a hearing-impaired child. He is currently receiving lots of services, courtesy of the state of New York. Are there any other established frum communities (not Lakewood) that provide free assistance the way that New York does? Please share your experiences in your OOT community. Thanks in advance!!

amother

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 11:26 am
I live in Lakewood, (which is what you don't want) and also have a hearing impaired child who is receiving free services. As far as I know almost every state offers free services, if you qualify. The one thing that Brooklyn has that no one else does is Strive Right. I'm not sure if your son is there, but if so, there's nothing like it, anywhere.

dani'smommy

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 11:44 am
He does go to Strivright, and we love it! We would not consider moving anyway until he ages out. At that point we would mainstream him regardless of where we are living. My understanding is that New Jersey is much more stingy with services than NY. My son gets speech 5 x 30 minutes a week, whereas I know people with similar issues who get only 2x a week in Lakewood. Can I ask how much you're getting? Also, did you receive any assistive devices? We were given 2 aids, plus 2 sets of FM's with transmitters.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating