Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Montreal restaurants and children's clothing

iluvy

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:12 pm
I'll be going to Montreal this summer for a few days, staying in Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel, which seems to be in downtown Montreal (1201 Boulevard Rene-Levesque West).

1) Where can I find kosher restaurants? Preferably within a bus ride? Are there any fancy ones where I can take people (non-Jewish) for meetings?

2) I remember when I was little that my aunt used to buy us the most beautiful Shabbos clothing in Montreal factories. Can I find places like that near where I will be? Is there any unmissable shopping in downtown Montreal? I'd rather do that than sightsee when I'm by myself Smile

Thanks!

CatLady

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:25 pm
Bienvenue a Montreal! We have some awesome kosher restos, such as El Morocco, which is at the cornner of Drummond and Sherbrooke, and my fave, Chops on Queen Mary Road. (Awesome Chinese food in a very elegant setting). My fave takeout is from Kosher Quality Bakery, and I grew up on their baked goods. Cheskie's bakery is also popular, especially amongst the hipsters. You can use Google Maps to figure out public transportation, which is very helpful.

The schmatta factories are on Chabanel Street, but AFAIK, they have "open shopping hours" on Saturdays. Crying I don't have any small kids to shop for so I am sure someone else will be more helpful.

As for shopping, of which I have vast knowledge, the so-called underground city is a great way to spend a day, or two. Simon's has wonderful, appropriate clothing - go upstairs to the 2nd floor and you'll be impressed. I also like a few of the chains, particularly Laura. Ogilvy's must be experienced. be there at noon. I won't tell you why, but trust me!! If you're adventurous, the Jean Talon Market is a bus ride away from downtown. You can spend many happy hours looking at the numerous plants for sale, tasting the difference between five different types of mangoes and so on. The Cavendish Mall has a good supermarket with a huhe kosher section, , a movie theatre and a food court with kosher pizza and a kosher falafel stand. Since the shopping mall food court experience isn't one that kosher-eaters usually get to enjoy, this is kinda cool.

canadamom

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:41 pm
For a classy business lunch, my first two choices would be either Exception, which is a small, modern milchig restaurant with great food. It is on Queen Mary road. My second choice would be Yakimono, check out their website, amazing sushi, very classy place. www.yakimono.ca
For supper, definitely try Chops, it's amazing, but make reservations. (also on Queen Mary)
Montreal has great childrens clothing factories, most are in a building at 160 St. Viateur. My first stop would be "Lollypop" which is on the fifth floor (they also have adult and maternity)

Enjoy!!

farm

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:07 pm
Montrealeans, does Chez Bambini still exist? I have a vague memory of my mother stopping there on a trip to Canada, although maybe it was in Toronto and not Montreal?

Bella:D

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 11:00 pm
Be careful El Morocco in Montreal still exists but is no longer kosher.

iluvy

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 11:47 pm
Thank you all for your responses! Is there some central site where I can find out kashrus information about all these restaurants?

CatLady - I can't be anywhere at noon but I'm so curious. What on earth goes on at Ogilvy's?

jupik

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 2:28 am
Vaad hair montreal
mk.ca

Marion

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 3:33 am
Ogilvy's is the Montreal equivalent (pricewise) of Saks 5th Avenue...be forewarned!

Also, unless things have changed, the falafel place in Cavendish Mall is under the KSR, not MK. KSR is a Sefardi hashgacha, reliable, but some don't hold by it because it's Sefardi.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics