Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Crib help for a new mom

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 8:21 pm
I'm having a bit of an argument with DH. I have a VERY expensive drop-side crib that was purchased 13 years ago. It's been through 3 children and then went into storage a few years ago.

I just had a baby a little while ago.

I think that we need to buy a new crib because a 13 (almost 14, yikes I feel old) gap is unacceptable and that drop sides are obsolete. DH said that it's a $1,000 crib purchased years ago and that we don't have the money to pay tuitions and to buy a new crib.

Any advice?

And if I need/should buy a new crib, what do I buy? What crib did you buy? Did you like it? Hate it? I read that dropsides are no longer safe, but I'm short. Will I be able to get the baby with one of those non-drop cribs?

chatouli

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 8:26 pm
I got my crib on overstock.com. It was less than $200 (and you need to buy a new mattress no matter what you decide) but conforms to all the safety standards. It's also quite attractive. It's not on there anymore, so I can't give you a link. I wouldn't use drop-side. If your height is your concern, perhaps leave the baby on a higher level until the baby can assist you in getting out of the crib (hold arms up, sit up, or something like that). Mazel tov Smile

cm

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 8:34 pm
Don't use a drop-side crib. Yes, it was fine for your older children, but chas v'shalom what if something happened this time. It's not worth it.

Lower cost cribs are available; you don't need to get a high-end model again.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 9:10 pm
whats the problem with a drop side crib?
I bought my crib 4.5 years ago, brand name??

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 9:42 pm
Most of those cribs from years ago have been recalled. massive overhall on the way cribs are made have been done. For that reason alone you are justified in wanting a new crib if there is nothing wrong with it on the other hand then your husband is right. As one of 9 childlren we all used the same crib including the grandchildren. So not sure why you "need" another crib. Unless what I said originally with them being recalled.

cm

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 10:05 pm
New crib guidelines: http://www.cpsc.gov/nsn/cribrules.pdf

Lists of recalled cribs are on the cpsc.gov website.

I would not use a crib from before the new guidelines.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics