Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Overdraft fees!

amother

Post Sat, Apr 28 2012, 9:44 pm
we have two accounts in bank of america, and we dont use credit cards, only debit. over pesach. when ididnt check my computer for over a week, one my account went into overdraft. this has never happened before. I got an email warning about fees if I didn't fix it within the week, to an email account that I don't check regularly (I did not realize that the bank had an old email address of file) and only noticed last week. the fees are more than $200, for being in overdraft for 8 days!

I transferred money into the account immediately, and corrected the email address issue for the future. now I am wondering if I can call the bank and explain, would they waive the fees? is there something I can do or say...?

thanks!

Eowyn

Post Sat, Apr 28 2012, 9:58 pm
You can call the bank, but BOA is awful to work with (at least in my experience). I'd run far far away (and I did when they took over my beloved regional bank).

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sat, Apr 28 2012, 10:53 pm
Go into the bank, and see if you can talk to someone helpful. Ask them to reverse the fees nicely.

You can sign up for overdraft protection linked to your savings account- if your checking account goes into the red, they'll take the money from the savings account and charge $10 instead of $35.

We have several business and personal accounts with BOA, as we both run our own businesses. Get into the habit of logging into the bank every morning!

wtvr

Post Sat, Apr 28 2012, 11:19 pm
Ask for a "one time courtesy" because it's the first offense. Many banks will do it if you are generally good. (In this case I don't know if they whole 200, but at least the original fees)

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Apr 28 2012, 11:35 pm
your dealing with the WORST business in America.

their customer service is so bad it makes Verizon look good.

try and fight it and maybe threaten to leave their bank. Then whether they waive the fee or not leave them anyway.

I wouldnt deal with Bank of America if you paid me - and they even tried!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 10:05 am
Yes definitely get overdraft protection. My bank charges 25 dollars and its worth it if the money is not in the account when its needed. If you have a good standing with the bank you can try speaking witht hem but there's prb not much that they will do.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 11:05 am
Run, run, as fast as you can. I have only had bad experiences with BOA--they are by far the WORST bank!

I do have Overdraft Protection and once when it hit the limit and I had 6 pending charges for small things ($35, $28, etc.) before Y"T and 1 large pending payment, they put through the large one first so they can charge $35 for EACH of the smaller things as they bounced! They easily could have put through the 6 smaller charges and instead I would only pay once $35 for the bigger charge overdraft. Instead, I wound up with $210 in overdraft fees!

Call or go in and ask them to waive the fees. Then take all your money and put it into another bank. FYI: BOA does not care if you threaten to leave them.

Mrs.K

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 11:20 am
I have no experience with BOA, but I will tell you that a regular bank, one with proper customer service, would assist you with this, and work with you.

I have 2 accounts at HSBC. Due to an oversite, I went into overdraft on one of them and did not realize it until a few days on. The other account had plenty of money in it. I called up to explain the situation, and without my even asking the woman told me they are waiving the fee since it was an accident, and not intentional. In addition, she was able to somehow "link" my accounts so that if there's every such a situation in the future, they won't immediately fine me, but will see that there is money in the second account and just take it from there so that I won't be charged a penalty.

THAT'S proper customer service. A bank that won't do that for you shouldn't have your money.

sbs

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 1:15 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Run, run, as fast as you can. I have only had bad experiences with BOA--they are by far the WORST bank!

I do have Overdraft Protection and once when it hit the limit and I had 6 pending charges for small things ($35, $28, etc.) before Y"T and 1 large pending payment, they put through the large one first so they can charge $35 for EACH of the smaller things as they bounced! They easily could have put through the 6 smaller charges and instead I would only pay once $35 for the bigger charge overdraft. Instead, I wound up with $210 in overdraft fees!

Call or go in and ask them to waive the fees. Then take all your money and put it into another bank. FYI: BOA does not care if you threaten to leave them.

this is not only BOA,
this is standard,
when a few charges come in in one day, the largest one is always put through first,
I too learned this the hard way with a different bank, when the same thing happened to me and the smaller ones could've been covered, but I had to pay overdraft on all of them
and, that bank also didn't take away the fees....
when dealing with banks, you're up a gainst a straight wall, usually...
good luck

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 2:08 pm
In this day and age, you have to check your accounts more assiduously.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 3:42 pm
I have played this game MANY times before. Google 'executive customer service Bank of America'and send an email to the people listed as 'BofA executives saying it was your Jewish holiday, no access to computer etc, etc. Explain that $200 is a lot of money for you and you realise you made a mistake but as a valued customer can they please be nice enough to refund the entire amount for you as you were depending in having this cash. End by saying thank you so much and you appreciate their time. It should work Smile

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 6:50 pm
wells fargo ALWAYS refunds any fees we get charged. we just have to ask.

cant understand why BOA is still in business. they are horrible

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 9:53 pm
Citibank recently waived my overdraft charges, which happened by error for the first time since I opened this acct almost ten yrs ago. They didn't give me a problem at all. It's definitely worth a call, or visit to your local branch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics