Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Working Like A Dog & Penniless

amother

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 11:08 am
THIS IS A VENT:

I'm feeling so horrible so tired so overworked so fed up. I work MANY hours a day on two different jobs (1 pays pennies & the other is in a terrible financial crisis), have 3 little kids & Dh is unemployed (trying desperately to find a job) & doing some odd jobs when they come up and we really can't afford the basic neccesities.

I'm being harrassed by 2 groceries for owing them money, we have no one to turn to for financial aide (in the family). We are so young & all botched up. I live in a rat hole & my landlord wants us out. I can't afford mishloach monos.

I try to stay upbeat & focus on my blessings yet I find that they don't trivialize the pain of being penniless.

sigh.... Crying hick, I feel better already.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 11:16 am
I hope that things get better for you quickly and that your husband finds a job soon.

Don't worry about mishloach manot. . . just do something very simple for the mitzvah, and that's it!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 11:16 am
It can't get worse !

amother

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 11:36 am
I could have written your post. I have 4 small kids and I am working part time with 2 of them home. My husband started a commission job that hasn't paid a penny yet. He is gone for about 12 hours per day. There are no other choices at this point, or he would try something else.
We are behind on everything, utilities, rent, schools. It's a brutal world, and it is taking it's toll on my family.
I will keep you in mind in my prayers.

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 11:40 am
Do you live in BP or nearby? He might want to try doing car service, its not hard to get the job and its very nice pay.

ysydmom

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 11:53 am
Please do not despair therre are a few things you can do.

First of all Food stamps - you will qualify and get enough to feed the family. 2nd of all free health insurance from Healthy NY go to nyc.gov.

When you get food stamps you will also get heap.

I hope this is helpful.

For the foodstamps you can do it online print out an application and mail it and check off where it says hearing by phone so you don't have to go down.

mominlkwd

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 11:57 am
What about something like tomchei shabbos? I know they are very discrete. I'm sure there are organizations that help your pay your rent etc. depending on where you live?

Hatzlocha,

amother

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 1:10 pm
Please take help from others. There are times in life where we must do that!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 1:20 pm
My husband owns a grocery which is doing terribly now in this economy and people just come every day and take off things from the shelf and just dont pay for it. Now that you are writing harrassed I feel even worse. Why do I have to give tzedokah when I dont have shoes for my kids? Why do people think I owe them food?

saw50st8

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
My husband owns a grocery which is doing terribly now in this economy and people just come every day and take off things from the shelf and just dont pay for it. Now that you are writing harrassed I feel even worse. Why do I have to give tzedokah when I dont have shoes for my kids? Why do people think I owe them food?

The economy is a full circle.

Person can't afford food so buys on credit. Store can't afford to not have paying customers and eventually has to close down. More people lose their jobs and the situation gets worse.

I'm sorry for both of your situations.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 1:45 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
It can't get worse !
Please don't say that.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 1:49 pm
Tamiri wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
It can't get worse !
Please don't say that.

Okay .... it can only go up !

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 1:49 pm
Tamiri wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
It can't get worse !
Please don't say that.

Okay .... it can only go up !

mltjm

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 11:23 pm
I second the advice to take the help you can get! That's what it's there for! Eventually one day you will repay it. When my father lost his job (BH only for 6 months, they were very lucky), my parents were getting tomchei shabbos, got money from the community fund. Now that they are BH back on their feet, my father volunteers for tomchei and my parents give as much money as they can to the community fund. It's there to help. Please take it!

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Feb 25 2010, 2:38 am
Agreed. There is no shame in taking help when help is needed.
Also, try and work out something with the grocers to pay a bit at a time. Explain the situation.
Can you borrow from family?
There are organizations that can help, depending on where you are living. They can help with crisis funds, talking to creditors etc. etc.

Mickey101

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 7:15 am
I've been there! Money is MinHashamayim, as we all know. Even though we know that ,we still do our "Hishtadlus" by doing more and more till we can't juggle anymore and then we break down. All you need is to Daven. I promise you it will work.Hashem doesn't turn his children away ! When you Daven make sure it's not with a bitter heart, and full of demands. Everything Hashem gives to a person is for the ultimate good even though you can't see it now, don't let it turn you into a bitter person. Let this make you strong in character and unite your family.

Mickey101

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 7:16 am
I've been there! Money is MinHashamayim, as we all know. Even though we know that ,we still do our "Hishtadlus" by doing more and more till we can't juggle anymore and then we break down. All you need is to Daven. I promise you it will work.Hashem doesn't turn his children away ! When you Daven make sure it's not with a bitter heart, and full of demands. Everything Hashem gives to a person is for the ultimate good even though you can't see it now, don't let it turn you into a bitter person. Let this make you strong in character and unite your family.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics