Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Brooklyn or Touro

bigmomma

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 6:54 pm
My son would like to get a BS in computer science. Is he better off going to Brooklyn College or Touro or does anyone know of an online BS program in computer science? Has anyone completed either Brooklyn or Touro with a degree in computer science and what are the job prospects like for someone with this degree?
TIA

STovah

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 9:36 pm
I would think that job prospects would be better out of Brooklyn simply because their recruiting/placement department can't be worse than Touro's. Between that and the price difference, I'd say go with Brooklyn.

Fabulous

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 9:43 pm
I don't think Touro has a great computer department, but I could be wrong. Touro is also about three times the price. However, it is a better environment for a frum boy. Up to you.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 9:47 pm
Touro is a better option only if you care about a mixed gender setting. Otherwise Brooklyn is the way to go.

bigmomma

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:56 pm
Anyone gone to City Tech in downtown Brooklyn? It's part of CUNY? Or anyone have any ideas for online BS in computer science if it exists or grant and scholarships for this major???

iluvy

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 10:19 pm
I got a BS in computer science from Brooklyn. I don't know about job prospects - I went on to graduate school - but the department at Brooklyn is a real, respected, established department, while CS is not one of Touro's main focuses at all. Several of my friends who got CS degrees from Touro had enormous trouble getting the department to offer the classes they needed. However, I hear the men's section is completely separate, so it might be a totally different story there.

Another thing - the computer science professors at Brooklyn are overwhelmingly frum: Langsam, Sokol, Lowenthal, Augenstein, Tenenbaum, Ziegler, Yanofsky, Yarmish... The department party when I graduated was fully kosher. The students aren't Jewish, but there's definitely a bit of a heimish atmosphere!

bigmomma

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 10:29 pm
Good to hear! Thanks. My son went down to the CS dept in Brooklyn and the first person he met was a frum guy. Brooklyn College campus has its share of frum people (and my son is married and older a bit than your typical college student). He is thinking of getting an A.S.-Associate Degree from NYC Institute of TEchnology-City Tech so that he can wrap up his first 60 credits into a degree and then he'll G-d willing finish the next 60 at Brooklyn. But I hear an Associates in computer science is worthless so he doesn't know if he should do Brooklyn all the 4 years? Is that the way to go? Anyone know of online BS programs or scholarships for tuition at CUNY schools???????

iluvy

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 11:12 pm
Brooklyn College's website has information about applying for scholarships: http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/w.....s.php

Doesn't the associates turn into a BS when you complete the next two years? I don't know much about this, but that's my impression.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries