Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to clean wood floors?

seeker

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 8:58 pm
When we moved in here the floors were just re- sanded and finished. The guy who did it said we should avoid getting it wet and clean it with Bona. I haven't gotten around to getting any. For a while it was enough just to sweep and wipe up spills as they happened, but after months it's gotten gunky, I guess people tracked things in hard enough to stick... you know how it goes. So I should really get some Bona and follow the directions on the bottle or whatever, but they don't seem to have it in local stores and I really want to clean NOW. You know sometimes you just reach that point...?

So, what's the DIY way to do this? Is it OK to just go with a damp shmatta if I wipe it up right away? For the sticky spots, what should I use to scrub it off?

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 9:02 pm
Is there something special about them, or are they regular hardwood floors? Maybe the guys meant it for the short term, since they were just done?

I use Murphy's Oil. It's a cleanser that you dilute with water, and its made for hardwood floors. I mop as usual and dry with a clean cloth.

seeker

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 9:06 pm
I don't think there's anything special about the floors, but he was definitely talking about long-term maintenance, not just then. So you just mop and dry, and it's ok to get it a little wet that way?

bigprincess

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 9:09 pm
It shouldn't be a problem. Just don't let it get soaking wet and wipe it dry asap.

paprika

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 9:31 pm
Soft scrub will take off the shine. I use Murphy Oil.

yksraya

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 9:39 pm
murphy is good only occasionally. otherwise use vinegar. it doesn't smell the best but the smell goes away a few minutes after washing and the wood (and wax) will last longer then when using anything else.

manyhats

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 10:00 pm
You can get Bona in Bed Bath and Beyond.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry