Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Sad Day in school
1  2  Next

ny21

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 8:23 pm
My teens high school had somthing called "sad day in school "

it was a day to point out , that every half an hour a person is killed by a drunk driver

On the half an hour they announced on the loud speaker that a classmate had died..

the student was not allowed to talk the rest of the day.

They also did the same thing with teachers.

I am glad my children were not picked .
I feel this is a little meshuga.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 8:25 pm
That's really morbid.

ny21

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 8:25 pm
many years ago , my husband and I met a frum women from Brooklyn

who had a daughter killed by a drink driver in Brooklyn ,

we were away for pesach with our new baby and our baby cheered her up!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:05 pm
Choidesh Kislev is no time for that! Good day to stay home!

newmom

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:23 pm
That's a really strange thing for a principal to decide to do.

dr pepper

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:27 pm
I'm not sure how I feel about that. My original thought was how awful, but the more I think about it, I don't eally see the harm. A bit of a direct approach, but I'm sure it made an impact and you never know if something like that could save lives. A little awareness can't hurt anyone.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:28 pm
Is it just me-- or has anyone else heard of "Al tiftoch peh lesutton". I would be mortified to hear of a principle doing this in any school. Unless maybe there is a real drinking problem in the school (I can' t think of any other reason). Something like this is upsetting, especially for those children whose names were called.

MinnieMa

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:34 pm
I wrote the previous post- Didn't mean to post anonymous

queen

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:38 pm
BIG ayen horah is what I think.

I'd be LIVID if this happened in my child's school, and CHAS V'SHALOM they used her name as an example.

What kind of school do your teens go to, momoftwins??? it's definitely a strong way to bring home the point, however gosh, is there no other way to bring it home?????

hey its me

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 11:24 pm
big time ayen hara!!!

I would speak to the principal about this!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 12:03 am
This was not a decent way to teach about drunk driving. It is a very important topic to discuss...and timely with kids who are learning how to drive and may also be "experimenting" with alcohol (which is an important topic to discuss with teens). The school needs to come up with better programming.

Mishie

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 1:05 am
OMG!!!
What a scary thing to do to someone!!!
I'm sure there are different ways to teach about drinking and driving.
It IS a very serious thing. But I think the way they chose to do it was really harsh!!!

shininglight

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 4:51 am
Yeah, I'm not so into that either.

In my school (7th grade, maybe?) we had a DARE officer come give us a couple of classes on self-esteem and how to say no to drugs and alcohol and the dangers of it. He told us that if we ever need a ride home from a party and everyone's drunk, to call him - even if it's in the middle of the night! I still have his card Smile

technic

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 6:20 am
ok that school is completely insane!!! what they COULD have done was used the names of children who have been killed in the past, in the same State, every halfhour - that would have had equal impact and been much less upsetting....what a hideous thing 2 do Sad

happy2beme

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 10:06 am
first I read the neturai karta post, now I read this- has the whole world gone PSYCHO??!??!?! ok, only parts of the world -but still!

on a diff note, I first also thought - ayin horah & minniema, when I read what u wrote I thought- hey I couldve written that Smile BUT then I thought doesnt it say that if someone says that someone else is dead- it's a segulah for Arichas Yumim- so that wouldn't really be a problem- even though I'd NEVER want such a thing!

I still say that school is CRACKED!

I second the question- what type of school is this, momoftwins?
I think I remember some other post that u wrote about the school doing diff things...

shopaholic

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 10:07 am
ok. That is totally insane. I would be banging on the principal's door. What an ayin hara!

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 10:24 am
I hear all sides of this: Ayin hora for sure and scary and insane as well!!!

Now look at the impact each person has when they take a moment to see it could be me or you!!!

Also, what people are in denial about is that teens even in frum circles are getting hold of alcohol and other stuff and have real problems that get shoved under the table cause c"v it can't happen here - WELL IT DOES HAPPEN HERE TOO AND HERE AND HERE - pointing that out to the girls may make them more aware of the dangers before thay make a mistake too!

ny21

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 4:13 pm
[quote="amother"]Is it just me-- or has anyone else heard of "Al tiftoch peh lasutton.

Im gald you wrote that! when my husband heard about this ,that is exactly what he said.

ny21

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 4:16 pm
technic wrote:
ok that school is completely insane!!! what they COULD have done was used the names of children who have been killed in the past, in the same State, every halfhour - that would have had equal impact and been much less upsetting....what a hideous thing 2 do Sad

That is what I told my twins - they should use real names of kids who have sadly been killed.

ny21

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 4:21 pm
after they made the annoucments they made 10 of their friends wear

bracelets to show that every drunk driver effects 10 people.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children