Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Going back to work or school I need advice

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 10:59 am
I have spent the last few years home with my kids and before that had mediocre teachers assistant or secretary jobs. We need the money and I need the stimulation so I'm looking to go back to work. I think I should go to school first because I have no degree and I won't get very far without one. But I am lost.
How much money are we looking at (to spend for college)?
What kind of job/specialty should I be looking into given my personality and skills?
What kind of job will make money and I can take with me if we move (a strong possibility in the next 5 years)?

I am very outgoing, hate computers, good at writing, good cook/baker, like the sciences but dont like math. I am very good with people but I don't want to do social work (I get too emotionally involved in people's problems). I am an excellent problem solver and group leader. I need to do something with some kind of value or meaning.

I'll take all advice and ideas. Thanks ladies.

Hashemlovesme

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 11:41 am
try taking an online personality test like the Meijers Briggs (I don't know how it's spelled!) test to point you in the right direction. Hatslacha Raba!

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 11:51 am
How does taking a personality test help, I know my personality, I know my abilities- I just don't know what;s out there and what would be a match for me.

this is op

Faigy86

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 12:07 pm
I'm not familiar with the specific test mentioned, but there are online career option tests that will ask you questions about your strengths, weaknesses, personality, etc. and make career recommendations for you.
I think that would be a wonderful place to start.
Hatzlacha

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 8:50 pm
OP, Just reading your description, my first thought was something marketing related, or sales or fund-raising. Marketing can be very wide terms--you can be anything from real estate agents to medical sales reps for a pharma company to personal financial adviser. Or some kind of advising/coaching/consulting roles--though in these areas you'll definitely need credentials (a degree combined with relevant work experience).

BTW, if you're a go-getter and have good idea, you can start up your own business and I don't think college degree is a pre-requisite.

Myers-Briggs... I do recall taking that either as a part of career counselling or once I started work as a part of training. It was quite interesting--as OP said, nothing too surprising in terms of your own personality--but in terms of leadership style, career path etc.

Sorry nothing too concrete but just bouncing my initial thoughts. Hatzlacha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics