Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Are there any yeshivos for my son?

tsrbalt

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 1:18 am
My son is KA"H, 18, very bright and has wonderful middos. He also has ADHD, and while on meds, still needs to burn off some energy between sedarim. He was in a Bais Medrash (1st year), but left because that Yeshiva had nothing but napping for the boys to do when they were not learning. He wants to be in a yeshiva where he can learn well, but have an outlet (like basketball, etc.) for when he's not learning. He also prefers a yeshiva where there is not a lot of drinking and smoking. Does such a yeshiva exist?

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 1:37 am
What about Medresh in israel? (don't remember the offical name of it, but it's known as "medresh" it's near the center of Jerusalem)

Are you looking only in American or also in E"Y?

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 2:59 am
maybe R Zwiegs yeshiva in miami? I think its very warm and bochrim can do other things in thier free time. my brother went there if you want I can get more info bzrH.

chani8

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 4:08 am
Where in the world are you, OP? That would help a lot.

And are you going to insist this be a charedi yeshiva?

If you let your DS go to a MO yeshiva, all your problems would be solved!

Leesah

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 4:18 am
Chani8, can you stop missionizing every other post?
I/we understand that you are thrilled to belong to a sect which you feel allows you to be yourself, but we chareidim/yeshivish/chassidic/buddhist people like were we are too.
When we do have issues like everyone else does, and we are looking for real advice, "be MO, it solves EVERYTHING!" is just not helpful.

shalhevet

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 8:07 am
Leesah wrote:
I/we understand that you are thrilled to belong to a sect which you feel allows you to be yourself, but we chareidim/yeshivish/chassidic/buddhist people like were we are too.
When we do have issues like everyone else does, and we are looking for real advice, "be MO, it solves EVERYTHING!" is just not helpful.
Applause

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 8:12 am
amother wrote:
maybe R Zwiegs yeshiva in miami? I think its very warm and bochrim can do other things in thier free time. my brother went there if you want I can get more info bzrH.

I thought of that immediately. I live in Miami and I see the boys playing basketball during breaks. It is a very warm place, laid back but with some excellent rebbeim and serious potential for a boy who enjoys learning. They have produced some top bochurim who are very very NORMAL. No yeshivish shtick. (Chani, it is very very far from MO).

shirtsandskirts

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 8:14 am
I don't know where you live, but I was just reading about the Yeshiva Shaarei Arazim in Monsey. The article was about how the boys were taught acrobatics or something of the like. They also have many other extracurriculars/outlets.

sped

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 8:35 am
shalhevet wrote:
Leesah wrote:
Applause

Thumbs Up

mamaleh

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 9:16 am
sped wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Leesah wrote:
Applause

Thumbs Up

Hooray

chavamom

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 9:49 am
tsrbalt wrote:
My son is KA"H, 18, very bright and has wonderful middos. He also has ADHD, and while on meds, still needs to burn off some energy between sedarim. He was in a Bais Medrash (1st year), but left because that Yeshiva had nothing but napping for the boys to do when they were not learning. He wants to be in a yeshiva where he can learn well, but have an outlet (like basketball, etc.) for when he's not learning. He also prefers a yeshiva where there is not a lot of drinking and smoking. Does such a yeshiva exist?

Mountaindale has a large, indoor basketball court and weight room. The guys mostly workout in the evenings, but they do have an outlet (and play basketball against some of the other yeshivos in the mountains). It's small and has individual attention (the rebbeim are phenomenal), so it might be an option.

amother

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 1:46 am
maybe medrash shmuel in E'Y my brother was there and he has amazing things to say about the rosh yeshiva and the rabayim there!

amother

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 9:11 am
I don't know if you would consider it--but what about Shor Yashuv?
My husband learned there, and he and his friends (normal, serious, yashar type of guys) would play basket ball during breaks. A lot of guys go out and do other things.

It's a big range though--they do also have the smokers and the drinkers. My husband liked the variety, but it's not for everyone.

shirtsandskirts

Post Fri, May 18 2012, 9:18 am
amother wrote:
I don't know if you would consider it--but what about Shor Yashuv?
My husband learned there, and he and his friends (normal, serious, yashar type of guys) would play basket ball during breaks. A lot of guys go out and do other things.

It's a big range though--they do also have the smokers and the drinkers. My husband liked the variety, but it's not for everyone.

Ya, I second that, my dh was there for a while as well. It's a very open minded place, with wonderful guys, and wonderful rabbeim.

tsrbalt

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 2:48 pm
Thank you for all of your responses. We're looking into the Miami option right now. It sounds like it might be a good match. My son-in-law went to Sha'ar Yashuv and said it wasn't the right place for my son.

amother

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 4:00 am
im the one whos brother went to miami. let us know what happens, hatzlocha!

chani8

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 7:56 am
Just in my defense, let me add that in my RBS community, playing basketball was usser.

Apparently in chutz l'aretz you can play basketball? Organized sports? No wonder you have no idea what I am talking about here...Is this permitted for communities like Lakewood as well?

sml713

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 8:07 pm
Have you heard of Yeshivas Doresh in Miami? It is a small boys school that caters to boys with learning challenges. My son has been there for 4 years and is doing great. Check out the website www.doresh.org and contact Rabbi Salfer if you are interested. It has been the best thing that I have done for my son.

Susan

amother

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 8:19 pm
Also check out Waterbury Yeshiva in Waterbury, CT. Amazingly warm Yeshiva with good learning plus chill time!!!!

Great place!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children