Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
New avatar
1  2  Next

minnie mouse

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:18 pm
Wjhat is this new avatar every other poster has changed too. It's the new look?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:13 pm
It's the avatar that people with no avatar get.

Except for me Very Happy

tsiggelle

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:14 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Except for me Very Happy

so it was you who did it?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:16 pm
NO!!! I don't have admin privileges.
I noticed it, and disliked it for myself, so I worked around it Wink

bigprincess

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:16 pm
Maybe mods will get something different soon.

It is confusing though.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:29 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
NO!!! I don't have admin privileges.
I noticed it, and disliked it for myself, so I worked around it Wink

So how do I get around it?
Honestly, it's not my list, the list owners can do what they want, but I'm not exactly enamored of this. Not to mention it's potentially confusing.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:37 pm
PinkFridge, use this avatar, please! I almost didn't recognize you here!

Hashem Yaazor, how about this?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:42 pm
[quote="TranquilityAndPeace"]PinkFridge, use this avatar, please! I almost didn't recognize you here!

I appreciate the thought but the fridge alone, not in context...I'm not so sure.
I'm still tempted to try to do Tacky the Penguin, but that really won't make sense.

And I first noticed this on another thread and almost PMed Gryp to congratulate her on getting an avatar but that I always thought she looked more.... I mean less....um, something or other.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:44 pm
I agree that it's disorienting. My eyes are immediately drawn to the graphic so I have to actually LOOK to see the name if I want to know who's "talking." Before I used to just automatically notice, if not the name, then at least the first letter or so, and thus keep track of the conversation in a way that flows.

On the upside, it gave me the push I've been needing to create an avatar for myself. It's nothing special but it was the quickest I could think of to get rid of the faceless lady.

It appears that HY simply took a screenshot, cropped to the word "moderator," and is now using that as an avatar that's nearly invisible. Crafty! Wink

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 9:47 pm
That's not what I did. But you're on the right track Smile

I don't want an avatar. I think it detracts from the content of my posts.

Sherri

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 10:01 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
That's not what I did. But you're on the right track Smile

I don't want an avatar. I think it detracts from the content of my posts.
In what way?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 10:09 pm
It makes readers form a preconceived notion of what I have to say.
If I choose T&P's Torah, they would think all my posts are in the lens of a yeshivish stance or whatever else. If it was something fun, it's harder to take seriously. Something ditzy -- I'm brainless. I just want each post to stand on its own merit with no preconceived notions formed by the picture next to it.

Sherri

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 10:13 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
If I choose T&P's Torah, they would think all my posts are in the lens of a yeshivish stance or whatever else. If it was something fun, it's harder to take seriously. Something ditzy -- I'm brainless. I just want each post to stand on its own merit with no preconceived notions formed by the picture next to it.
Is that how you perceive the avatars of others?

I don't think that's how most of the posters view the avatars at all. Most of us have our ideas of posters already from the content that they've posted, and the pictures are visual cues that aid in the flow of dialogue.

Sherri

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 10:15 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
PinkFridge, use this avatar, please! I almost didn't recognize you here!

I appreciate the thought but the fridge alone, not in context...I'm not so sure.
I'm still tempted to try to do Tacky the Penguin, but that really won't make sense.

And I first noticed this on another thread and almost PMed Gryp to congratulate her on getting an avatar but that I always thought she looked more.... I mean less....um, something or other.
While I haven't read the book that you reference, I think an avatar is a great help to the readership on the boards, so I am trying to encourage whoever I can to make one!

That being said, try to do this Tacky the Penguin. You may have to explain it once and refer to your explanation, but I don't think most people will get too stuck on it.

I think each poster takes her avatar more seriously than the the other posters do.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 10:33 pm
Sherri wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I don't think that's how most of the posters view the avatars at all. Most of us have our ideas of posters already from the content that they've posted, and the pictures are visual cues that aid in the flow of dialogue.
Yes...for people I have not gotten to "know" yet. I have already acquired a new understanding of you to replace the old image I had of you from your avatar, but only after reading tens of your posts.

Sherri

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 10:36 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Sherri wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Yes...for people I have not gotten to "know" yet. I have already acquired a new understanding of you to replace the old image I had of you from your avatar, but only after reading tens of your posts.
Oish, glad to hear that!! LOL

Interesting that you think that way. I wonder how common it is here. It does explain your reluctance to put up an avatar, though.

kenz

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 11:46 pm
There was another thread that explained how to change the new avatar; now I can't find it. I hate the grey lady. Help???

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 11:58 pm
kenz wrote:
There was another thread that explained how to change the new avatar; now I can't find it. I hate the grey lady. Help???

HOW TO CHOOSE AN AVATAR FROM THE GALLERY:
There is an entire gallery of avatar images provided.

- Underneath the Imamother logo on the top right is the "Home" tab.
- Under that tab is a little link that says "Edit Profile".
- Click "Edit Profile".
- You will be taken to a page with all the details for your account. Scroll ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE BOTTOM.
- Just above the "Submit" button is the option to "select avatar from gallery". Click the "show gallery" button.
- You will be taken to the avatar gallery. There is a drop down list of various categories, and each category has a nice number of avatars.
- Select an avatar by clicking it, then clicking the "select avatar" button. As a chessed to the rest of us, don't take the same one as another poster if you can help it.
- After clicking the "select avatar" button, you will be taken BACK to the Profile page. You should see the avatar you selected appearing on that page.
- Click the "Submit" button to update your profile.

To create your own avatar (maximum height and width 80x80 pixels, maximum file size 6kb), let me know if you want instructions. Smile

kenz

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 12:41 am
thanks, bigsis- I tried this on Thursday and for some reason it didn't take - I'll try it again now.

peppermint

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 12:49 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Except for me Very Happy
Stop making us jealous Angry
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics