Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Changing recipe from white flour to white whole wheat

shluchamom

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 11:52 am
Anyone know the formula of how to convert a recipe that calls for white flour to white whole wheat? its not exactly the same as the white whole wheat is less gluten than the reg. white flour.

thanks

gryp

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 12:27 pm
I use cup for cup, never noticed a difference.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 12:39 pm
Me too. I had no idea it was a different proportion.

Annie

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 1:00 pm
I also just sub cup for cup as long as I'm using the white whole wheat. In my challah recipe I add a little more water, but not even enough to measure. It does make less volume though.

cm

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 1:09 pm
Unless you are a making something extremely technical, I wouldn't worry about the difference in gluten content (if any). I generally bake by weight, not volume, and substitute white whole wheat flour directly with excellent results.

shluchamom

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 1:58 pm
Annie wrote:
I also just sub cup for cup as long as I'm using the white whole wheat. In my challah recipe I add a little more water, but not even enough to measure. It does make less volume though.

I have noticed this. Especially when I bake challah I seem to get less challa then reg white flour. What would I have to do to make more without doing a double batch of dough?

Annie

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 3:13 pm
I let it rise about twice as long as I used to - that helps, but then it's not as doughy as my kids like. I just make a double batch. I have also tried adding another egg. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

nylon

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 4:28 pm
Whole wheat is not less gluten. The protein content is actually higher, but the gluten is more fragile and does not work in the same way so the batter or dough will not rise in the same way. Breads will not rise as high.

In bread, this problem can be mitigated with the addition of vital wheat gluten. In cakes, you don't want or need the extra gluten (cake flour is very low in it, just enough for structure) so this isn't an issue, though the cake will be heavier in texture from the germ and bran.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen