Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What is considered average Kollel couple support in Israel?
Previous  1  2

Less than 800
800-1199  
 35%  [ 11 ]
1200-1499  
 6%  [ 2 ]
1500-1999  
 29%  [ 9 ]
2000-2499  
 12%  [ 4 ]
2500-3000  
 6%  [ 2 ]
More than 3000  
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 31

suomynona

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 4:21 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Very few Israeli kolel couples even dream of living in Yerushalayim (unless their parents are very wealthy), yet many American couples feel it's their right. A 3-room apartment can cost $1000 a month in parts of Yerushalayim, $400 - $500 a month in other cities and even less in more outlying places like Beitar for example. There are other places with English speaking kolelim and I'm sure that if there were more couples willing to move into other areas, more suitable kolelim would open/move.

You have to realize, this thread is about people who live in e"y for only a few years. Those people are living here only because of yerushalyim. If the choice would be Beitar or nothing, they would just stay in chutz laaretz. In fact a lot of these people do move to other places once they make the decision to stay in e"y for good.

suomynona

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:
Question To those that are aware of parents giving more than 3,000.00 a month, what do these parents do for a living? shock

It seems to me that a disproportionate amount of anglos living in yerushalayim come from well off homes. I guess because it's not possible otherwise.
I do know some people who work hard and live on a low standard, and even in those cases, their parents are paying their rent. Their salary covers other expenses. In any case, these people are not the majority.

suomynona

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
My husband and I both wanted to live in Israel when we got married. Both of our parents however, are not wealthy (to put it mildly) and cannot support us at all. After many calculations, we realized and came to terms with the fact that it is a luxury that we just can't have. So, we settled for DH's second best and we are baruch hashem managing nicely in lakewood on my salary alone.

I think it is a lack of hakaras hatov to your parents who raised you to ask for money when there is not much or none at all especially for a luxury.

Usually it doesn't work this way. Most of the time, if a bachur really wants to live in e"y after marriage, he will make sure that he will be able to before he agrees to consider a prospective shidduch.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 7:02 am
We've been living in EY for 11 years. Our parents do not give us any money. We have 6 kids and we try to be careful with what we spend. We live outside of Yerushalayim, never eat out, don't splurge on expensive clothing, etc. I'd much rather it this way than being dependent on our parents.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 8:28 am
I would love to hear how u do it. I am always looking for tips in this area.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 10:48 am
Surprised To the two that chose the "more than 3,000" option- is that from the girl's parents only OR 50%-50%?

I cant believe that this percentage is even close to realistic- (2 out of 13 responded 3,000 plus). That percentage has to be way off.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
My BIL is getting married soon and I know his father and his fil are going to split support of $4000 a month. They will be living here in North America. If they were going straight to Israel (they hope to go soon) then I can't imagine they will give them less than that. Although you probably don't need $4000 a month in Israel.

I think it depends how the couple expects to live. If they expect to live like they would in America then 1000$ a month support is not enough. If they will "rough it" in Israel and never go out or eat meat or anything then they could do with less. But I feel like most American couples won't live like that because they are spoiled. I personally don't think kollel couples who are being supported should live like kings in israel. It's unfair to the parents. And to their older siblings who are NOT being supported have no money for "extras" Smile

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's like earning the equiv of at least 75k just from the parental income, forget about the kollel stipend and the wifes job!

Unless the parents are for real millionaires that is SPOILED KOLLEL CHILDREN!!!

I thought learning in kollel was about mesiras nefesh, not living like spoiled, lazy ... off other peoples hard work.

Even for expensive cities I think that number is outrageous for a couple with no kids.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 1:15 pm
An average Israeli SALARY (not kolel stipend) may be about 3000-5000 shekels a month ie around $1000 or less.

A kolel couple in Israel (with children) is usually living on something like 1000 shekels kolel stipend (maybe another 500- 1000 for night and/or Shabbos kolel) plus wife's income of 3000-4000 shekels plus 140 shekel a child national insurance (maybe more for older children before the cuts). That is a total of $1000 -$1500 a month.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 3:32 pm
new amother here: so how much do u think a young couple in ny would need? id like to see if you all think my familys spending habits are crazy. . .

newme

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's like earning the equiv of at least 75k just from the parental income, forget about the kollel stipend and the wifes job!

Unless the parents are for real millionaires that is SPOILED KOLLEL CHILDREN!!!

I thought learning in kollel was about mesiras nefesh, not living like spoiled, lazy ... off other peoples hard work.

Even for expensive cities I think that number is outrageous for a couple with no kids.

As someone who has been living in Israel for a number of years now - I find this sum incredible.
My husband has been in learning, B'H, for close to two decades, and I am truly grateful that we have made it this far. We have a large family, K"H.
We live on quite a bit less than a secure $4,000 a month.
It is true that we don't have to pay rent, and our mortgage is almost paid off by now. It is also true that by now we have accumulated some debt and find it a real struggle to finish the month.
But to think that a young couple with no (or barely any) children need such a sum in order to live in Israel, is quite mind-blowing to me. We have a large family to feed and we don't have that kind of income! It sounds like they are coming from a community with a totally different world view, or else perhaps they come from an economically privileged background and would feel, perhaps, deprived, if they had to suddenly live on less than they were used to (just trying to be DLKZ).

Sanguine

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 3:45 pm
Do you know that this thread is from 2006? shock

qwe123

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 5:23 am
I found this whole conversation very interesting. If you ever wander through one of the American Kollel couple neighborhoods you will encounter many, many wonderful couples that are either being supported or managing on their own. Almost across the board these couples are living below the standards they are used to, are far from the comfortable support of parents and in laws and think it's worth it for the quality of the husband's learning. You might call them spoiled because they take an occasional taxi, but they are used to driving everywhere at home! There is no way to live in Israel on truly American standards. If you managed to bypass the hills and steps that need to be trekked multiple times a day, taking busses instead of cars and the uninsulated apartments, you still need to contend with Israeli bureaucracy and there is no getting around that!! I have heard many people express the feeling that socialized medicine is the hardest part of living there. Regardless, when the wife is in early pregnancy and desperately wants to go to her mother for shabbos, that's not an option.

As for the support, every parent needs to make his own decision. If a parent sees the tremendous value there is in a young couple spending a few years in the Holy Land and wants to help them with it, Kol Hakovod! And if they cant or wont then so be it. If the couple wants it badly enough they will make it work. In any case, most couples have to dip into their savings to fund their trip regardless of support.

qwe123

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 5:31 am
And it makes me sad to see so many posts labeling Kollel couples as spoiled with such a negative tone. Firstly, we have no idea on what standards they were raised on. How spoiled a kid is and how much his parents choose to support him in adulthood is the parents' choice.
Secondly, these arent "spoiled" people. In Israeli grocery stores you see young mothers with a few children trying to load up their carriages with groceries and then trek up the hill back home. So few of them have conveniences like deliveries or cleaning help, as is so prevalent in the states. But more than that, is the families that you see forming there. You'll hear mothers interacting with their children and be proud of complete strangers. Living in Israel being married to a man who learns all day seems to demand a higher level of midos and they parent-children interactions reflect that.

salt

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 6:01 am
Just by looking at the title of your post, and the poll, I thought you were asking how much money is your kollel husband getting from his kollel - ie. how much is his kollel stipend. That would be a more useful question. How does it help you to know what other people's parents are giving them?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics