Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teenage drivers with teen age passengers

ny21

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 7:26 pm
Do you permit your teens to drive with older teen drivers?

My teens have friends with older brothers who can give them rides

their older brothers are 17 years old.

Last edited by ny21 on Sat, Dec 16 2006, 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tefila

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 8:24 pm
Quote:
My teens have firends with older brothers who can give them rides

They are 17 years old

1) are your twins girls then that would send antennas through ny head before they even drive Confused
2) If they r not then if it's around the block so to speak I probably would let. But not out of town etc. It really depends how responsible they are.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 9:12 pm
Tefilah - my kids don't ask me!

Tefila

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 9:31 pm
Confused

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 8:45 am
I think here a teen has to drive with someone over 18 (I also think the person has to be registered, so you would allow only you and husband for example). Is there a similar law where you live?

ny21

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 2:23 pm
I think in ny the law is if you are 16 you can get a permit

and drive with a adult.

when you are 17 you can drive alone and also you can drive with

passengers.

at 16 you can take the written test for your permit.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 9:58 am
15 1/2 can get permit w/50 hours supervised driving and I forget how long but drivers ed class. At 16 can get liscense. I have 2 teens that drive - but I need a bumper sticker that says "MY KIDS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY" I literally sit behind s and direct his driving - my d however should be driving an ambulance - They both scare the daylights out of me. Oh they're 17s & 19d

ChavieK

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 9:13 pm
In Maryland they recently passed a law that a teen has to have a license for 5 or 6 months before they can take anyone other than sibs. I get to decide which friends they can go with. No it's not fair but it is their life. Can I guarantee that they never broke the rule? Of course not but at least they had the idea that just because you get a license doesn't mean you can actualy drive.

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Dec 27 2006, 12:33 pm
In Israel you can get a license at 17. You have to take 28 lessons on how to pass the test. You also must pass a sometimes irrelevant multiple choice theory test. Then you must pass a road test. I believe that the Israeli test system (the bagrut is the exact same prob) of learning to pass the test as opposed to learning to drive. My father said to me "You've passed the state of PA test, not mine". A parent teaching a kid to drive is more interested in his kid being a safe driver than getting another 200 sh for each extra shiur.

After getting a license you must buy a new driver sign and put it in the rear windshield of any car you drive. You must be accompanied by a vetern driver when you take more than 2 passengers. Teenagers have stopped at trampiadas and ask me if I have a license as they need an accompanying driver to be able to get to Yerushalayim w/their friends in the car. The accompaniment must always sit in the front passenger seat. I love that.

Here you not only get a stiff fine but also points on your license if there is someone w/o seatbelts. 2 for the driver and 1 for each passenger.

shayna82

Post Wed, Dec 27 2006, 12:39 pm
I had my permit at 15 1/2... I was too young

mumoo

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 12:42 am
ChavieK wrote:
In Maryland they recently passed a law that a teen has to have a license for 5 or 6 months before they can take anyone other than sibs.

also in Chicago. Unlimited family members (lucky for ds his best friend is his brother) and one other teen for 6 months. After 6 no restrictions other than 11 pm curfew. He followed the rule implicitly. Six months to the day- he drove around a bunch of boys. B'H, he and his friends are really good boys; I don't worry so much.

ny21

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 11:34 pm
Sadly in Isreal their are lots of road accidents . I think I read around 400

deaths last year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children